ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IP camera as baby monitor and Powerline

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the wife goes to work from 5pm to 9pm every evening and I need to go in the garage of an evening to work to pay the bills.
my daughter is one and a half, so goes to bed around 7pm. we try to get a baby sitter as much as possible but it can be a struggle for every night of the week and a big ask on family and friends.

so I was thinking of using an IP camera as a baby monitor.

I have internet in my garage via those powerline adaptors, anyone tried to run a simple ip camera over powerline adaptors? ive got TPlink 150mb ones

just something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenvis-IP...-/290836080198?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item43b72e6646

All I know is you can hook these up to your iphone or iPad and watch, it's the cost of the camera that's done me in though so not had a chance to sort one out properly..

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If you get a DVR which has an ipod app and can connect through cable to the wifi router...you should be fine.

Inferno 182 CUP
Hang about hang about .. Are you suggesting you leave the house completely and go out leaving your 18 month old child at home alone monitored by an ip controlled video camera????

Inferno 182 CUP
Depends how far away this garage is .. I don't go further than my garden when my daughters in bed .. ANYTHING can happen .. So if its in your garden and its small fair enough .. But down the road .. No chance!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
lol calm down all, my garage is 5 metres from my house and sadly detached. I would never just leave my daughter gee...

RIP Dan
Right, I'm calling child services.....;)

if you have 2 iPads get an app called presence, one acts as a remote camera and the other monitors.

What extra work are you doing in the garage Andy?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have to agree with some of the others, i'd never go and work in the garage and leave my 18 month old child alone in bed. Can you get to your child from the garage quickly if she starts choking? Could you even hear her if you're working and she starts choking??

I'm going to be completely honest here, but I think that's terrible behaviour as a parent but that's just my view.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
its either pay the bills or have no house.
my garage door is by the front door so yes pretty quickly. its no difference to me sitting in the back garden with her current baby monitor

Clio Trophy #343
My questions would be this:

1 - How does the app work?? Will any noise/movement activate the app or will the phone go into sleep mode and deactivate the app?

2 - What is the sound like? Will it pickup low level sound. Video is good but not enough on its own.

I looked into the product that you’re looking at or very similar and I was put off by the fact that they are re-branded security cameras, I bought a baby monitor with camera that was designed and rated well by all sorts of parenting websites and its brilliant… however its £90

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I use power line adaptors and a Y-Cam in the garage for CCTV purposes, works perfectly, just let me know if you have any questions / want to know more.