ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet issue with new iMac

Arctic FF 182
Hi guys,

I have just upgraded my unibody MacBook to an iMac and did a time machine backup and it copied everything over for me. Everything seems to be fine except the internet seems to not be working properly. For example I cannot get onto Facebook at all and certain sites won't fully load properly, it shows up as still loading even though the page appears to be fully loaded. Also in the photography threads not all the pictures seem to load.

Any suggestions to fix this please? I have tried both Safari and Chrome and it is the same on both. I have restarted the machine/app with no results either. I never had any issues on my MacBook and every thing loads fine on the iPad its just the iMac having issues.

Thanks in advance of any help :)

I would try using a fixed IP address to rule out a DHCP issue.

Are you using a modem and router, or a modem/router? If it's the former, then definitely try hardwiring direct the modem for a while by ethernet.

It all seems a bit strange if you are connected to the internet but it's just not working properly. Have you tried to "forget this network" and then reconnect? Sounds like it could be some network setting issue carried over from the other machine. I'm also not a fan of restoring backups, especially from machines with different hardware. Fresh installs are the future.

As you can see, I'm no IT guy lol. Surprised the tech boys haven't helped out here. They're probably too busy abusing people or something.

Arctic FF 182
Again thanks for the reply, I am using an old NTL modem with a Belkin router, I'm not able to connect with an ethernet as the machine is on the other side of the house.

I know it is doing my head in tbh, only certain webpages does it feel the need to throw a hissyfit, I was thinking of setting it up as a fresh install but got my iTunes, iPhoto etc all set up and I have so many websites with usernames/passwords that I wouldn't be able to remember so thought it would be just easier to use the time machine. You know a lot more than me about this kinda stud, have no idea what 'DHCP' means :eek: