ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Oil Light

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
I've had the usual SERV and AIRBAG light come on due to the crappy connection under the passenger seat but now I'm getting the oil light coming on.

It goes off and comes on again randomly. I've checked the dipstick and it has plenty in it. Also the digital readout after it says OIL OK reads full too.

Is it just a sensor that needs replacing does anyone know? Is it easy/cheap to sort?

BMW M135i
Low oil pressure (bad news)/Duff Pressure Switch/Wiring Fault are the most likely. Change the pressure switch first.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
Had the same problem (I was running Elf SRX 5W30 oil) I checked the pressure it was still there but to low (0.5bar at idle, and 2,8 at 3000rpm, it should be 1,6bar at idle and 3.0 at 3000rpm)
switched to Castrol Edge 10W60 full synthetic and the problem is gone. Little bit of sun came out and Elf turned out to be to thin :/ for a 160000km engine

Last edited:
Low oil pressure (bad news)/Duff Pressure Switch/Wiring Fault are the most likely. Change the pressure switch first.

Yeh I'm going to try this first. Have ordered the part today. Will get it Friday and see if it helps. I assume they are fairly simple to replace? Costing me £15 from Renault.

BMW M135i
Yep 5 minute job, fuel rail cover off unclip the plug to it. Then you'll need a deep 16mm (iirc) socket to remove it and put the new one in. Preferably you want to do it after the cars been standing for a few hours so the oil drains out the gallery back into the sump so you don't loose so much/make a mess. Bit of hermatite red on the thread won't do any harm if you've got some too.

Yep 5 minute job, fuel rail cover off unclip the plug to it. Then you'll need a deep 16mm (iirc) socket to remove it and put the new one in. Preferably you want to do it after the cars been standing for a few hours so the oil drains out the gallery back into the sump so you don't loose so much/make a mess. Bit of hermatite red on the thread won't do any harm if you've got some too.

Nice one, thank you for that help. I will be attempting it Saturday...

Just out of interest, is the fuel rail cover easy to remove? Any special tools needed? I have the oil pressure switch now but won't be trying it until tomorrow. Already need to get a socket to fit the switch so while I'm at Halfrauds I may as well get whatever I might need to remove the rail cover too. Cheers.

Sorted... 10mm hex bolts and I'll get a 16mm one for the oil pressure switch, both need to be deep sockets. Sound right?

Last edited:
Sorted... 10mm hex bolts and I'll get a 16mm one for the oil pressure switch, both need to be deep sockets. Sound right?

Just so that no one makes a mistake, here are the correct tool sizes:
T30 sized Torx for the engine cover removal
22mm deep socket for the oil pressure sensor
10mm deep socket for the fuel rail removal