ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermitant Starting Issue

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I've got a phase 1 172 that has got a really annoying problem...

Basically about once say every 4 weeks or so it simply won't start, turns over but will not fire.

At first i thought it was an immobiliser issue as it would be fine if i left it for a bit and tried it again, but today it did it again and i disconnected the battery - assuming this would reset the immobiliser if it was alarm related - but it still didn't start :(

So left it for 10 minutes and its started again....

This happened to me when i borke down in germany and the german recovery guy, turned the ignition on and off 3 times got out the car set the alarm got back in the car and then it started......he could speak no english but just pointed at the alarm sticker...factory fitted alarm by the way.....

Any ideas? could this be a dodgy crank sensor or is it likely to be alarm related?

Megane dci 130
Crank sensor is the probable cause. Tighten the pins on the connector or get a new one fitted with the new piece of loom.

Clio 182 FF/Cup Packs
My mate's 172 did this, but he never got to the bottom of it before it was sold.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
my hybrid mashup does this every now and again

i'm 99% sure i have traced it to a dodgy ign live to the ecu at the connector plug, worth having a poke around with a multimeter for peace of mind for sure :)