ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior led bulb issue

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I have a 172 cup with the large tilt interior light. Stuck a LED unit in there yesterday however it only works on the middle setting ie when the doors open. I can't put it on manually when I want to. Messed about and tried different led bulbs and putting the actual panel back in different ways. I eventually had it so I could turn it on manually but it won't work with the open doors setting.

any ideas? It's either one or the other. I can't get the manual setting and the open doors setting to work at the same time.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Did you try a standard halogen bulb again to ensure it works for the different settings? If a halogen bulb works, I'm going to suggest its poor quality LED bulbs at fault.

I use Osram LED 6000k Cool White w5w and they work perfectly.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I had a standard bulb in it then fired in a few different led bulbs.. The leds also stay lit(very dim) when the light should be off..

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
LEDs are polarity sensitive. The cup tilt light sends current in opposite directions, depending on whether it's on manual or with the doors.

You have 3 options.

1. Add a second LED in reverse polarity to the original, soldered to the contacts of the first LED.
2. Add a bridge rectifier, but this will require some hacking of the light unit in order to rewire the contacts.
3. Fit a map light unit which doesn't have this problem, and either use a w5w in it or (using THIS HANDY THREAD), put a SMD panel in it.

LEDs constantly on dim in the clios is normal, and not an issue. The same current flows with any bulb fitted, but a standard halogen bulb needs a lot more than that to light, which is why you don't notice it until you fit LEDs which are far more efficient.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
That's great mate! Thanks for the help! Off to see if I can locate a map light!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
LEDs are polarity sensitive. The cup tilt light sends current in opposite directions, depending on whether it's on manual or with the doors.

You have 3 options.

1. Add a second LED in reverse polarity to the original, soldered to the contacts of the first LED.
2. Add a bridge rectifier, but this will require some hacking of the light unit in order to rewire the contacts.
3. Fit a map light unit which doesn't have this problem, and either use a w5w in it or (using THIS HANDY THREAD), put a SMD panel in it.

LEDs constantly on dim in the clios is normal, and not an issue. The same current flows with any bulb fitted, but a standard halogen bulb needs a lot more than that to light, which is why you don't notice it until you fit LEDs which are far more efficient.
One of these?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-clio-interior-reading-map-light-01-06-/281844020241?nav=SEARCH

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Cheers mate. See with the map light does the bigger light only come on with the doors open? Ie you can't put the bigger light on manually, just the small map light?

Renault Clio mk2
Here is my simple solution to the problem
I was changing out my interior bulb today and had the exact same problem. I got a multi meter and measured the voltage and found that when switching from door mode to light on it switches the polarity.
My solution to this problem is to get two led lamps hot glue gun them together and solder them to each other in opposite polarity. So therefore when the light is in door open mode one of the led lamps light up then when you switch to light to always on the other led lamp lights up due to the polarity being different, hope that makes sense and it is an easy enough fix if you have basic soldering experience.
Image below of the final led lamp that works!!! :smile:
p.s on the image the polarities are labled on the leds just follow the wires and you can see what goes where.

Attachments

• IMG_5387.JPG
    IMG_5387.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5388.JPG
    IMG_5388.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 61