ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interference on sound system...

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi thought I sorted my interference problem today, but alas it was not to be.

So far have tried...

• Two different headunits
    Two different sets of RCA leads
    Two different remote leads
    Two different remote locations
    Two different earth leads
    Two different earth locations

What I get is whirring and squeaking through the speakers when the headunit is turned on. It's worse when stationary and at low speeds. I've had the same setup throughout five different cars and never had this problem before! Wondering what else I could try...

Could it be something to do with the amp being so close to the battery? This is the first car I've had with the battery in the boot.

Could it be a knackered amplifier? It is very old (15 years)

I've searched around online and most advice seems to point to earthing... but as you can see I've tried various different things there. Worth pointing out without the amplifier powered up (i.e. taking the fuse out) the sound system is perfect.

I have to ask, but have you rubbed your earth point down and made sure the ring connector is getting a good "metal to metal" connection?

I assume you have but I had to ask. If so then maybe check the headunit earth point, perhaps it's got a little corrosion.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Not on the connection it's currently on... but I connected it up behind a panel in the boot where there are about 5 earth wires from the car's system going to; I'd assume it's good to go on that account!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I have tried that as well... or rather the point where the battery earth strap connects to the chassis.

I didn't read the bit about the battery being relocated. Check the battery connection to the chassis, it's possible corrosion has set in if the job wasn't done properly.

How long is the battery earth cable?

Also check the live cables, and where they run in the car.

Do your RCA cables run alongside or close to any live feed cables? People often run RCA's and the "amp remote" cable side by side and this can cause the noise you mention, or in this case if the RCA's have been run close to the battery live feed it could do it.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

I bought one of these, and yes it does work, to a point. It badly suppresses the subwoofer, rending it almost useless.

@Blackie sorry to clarify this is actually in a MINI, not a Clio... they all come with batteries in the boot!

Cabling wise, everything is completely separate. The RCAs run down the left side of the car. The remote runs from the top of the amp to the cigarette lighter in the left of the boot. The power runs down the amp to the battery underneath.

I'll see if I can make/find a better earthing point though :)

Sorry my bad, you've maybe mentioned somewhere you have a Mini lol.

I'd guessed you'd probably installed the system "correctly" but I had to ask those questions just to rule it out, I hope I didn't offend.

Yea I'd go with a dedicated earth point, daunting to take a drill to a car, I know, but it's usually worth it!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
1121.gif

Clio RS 182
How long is the positiv wire for the amp? did you looped like a coil?The RCA s are routed with the positiv cable?

Listerine & Poledo
Out of interest ,why are you running your remote-on from your lighter and not the remote wire from the head unit.

I'll take a wild guess at "ease of installation" given the 12v is in the boot, and I can't imagine it'd make the first difference in relation to this actual problem

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
How long is the positiv wire for the amp? did you looped like a coil?The RCA s are routed with the positiv cable?

It's probably only about 50cm. It's looped round once, if you could call it that, just to get round the corner if you will. RCAs the complete opposite direction to the positive.

Out of interest ,why are you running your remote-on from your lighter and not the remote wire from the head unit.

I'll take a wild guess at "ease of installation" given the 12v is in the boot, and I can't imagine it'd make the first difference in relation to this actual problem

I can't remember now lol. I did originally have it installed to the headunit, but I think I saw a cut in the cable or something... and you're right it was easier just to fix it up that way rather than start lifting carpets up again!

On another note, I found this I'm going to work through when I get a spare moment...

https://images.crutchfieldonline.co...learningcenter/articles/417/NoiseSuppress.pdf