ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interesting read

Lionel Richie
Written by Thorney? Pinch of salt number 1, he's sponsored by Tesco, pinch of salt number 2 ;)

Its good stuff though, que the people "it make my clio run weird, not as good as V-power" etc etc

BMW 535d
Oh is he really lol??? Surely he cant post incorrect results though? Plus Tescos is cheaper... I never ever used tesco until I read that because of their whole 'we are gonna f**k you car with s**t fuel' incident a few years back

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Tesco works ok but you feel your car is lacking - maybe it's the placebo effect of knowing you have cheap fuel in but when accelerating I have noticed a difference in that V-Power seems to pull more 'easy'

I'd be sceptical of the results based on what Fred said. Sponsor deals always have me a tad suspicious. I'd want an independent double blind test.

Aimed at Fred, Matt, Chip etc: How repeatable are back-to-back dyno results? Engines still get significantly warm even with 120 CFM, if you're taking static readings at a certain RPM etc then you always need to wait a minute or two for the thing to settle down once you've demanded a new TP & RPM. Reading that report it looks easy to manipulate findings or at least contain a lot of inaccuracies.

Shouldn't this sort of test (where the claimed differences are small and the sources of error numerous) be reserved for sophisticated engine test cells where you can control a hell of a lot more, do chemical analysis on the exhaust etc?

Lionel Richie
^got it in one basicaslly, you don't see F1 cars on the rolling road do you ;)

My mate is the head engineer for engine development at lotus (he's doing the new V8 for the Esprit i think it is) i'll ask him, i'm NOT a mapper and have never professed to be one, i'll allow brainy people who "see the matrix" comment!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Is that a new article? Sure I read one from Thorney couple years ago

pretty sure that article is about 4/5 years old

I always used tesco 99 in my 200sx's and consistently made more power than people said was possible for the spec. It's good stuff

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Only ever used v power in my old subarus Now I use cheapest I can find for the Clio :cool:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Tbh the article actually states if you want a good all round fuel that is reasonably priced by Tesco 99, if you can afford it buy the bp 102.

It was an interesting read, however like the OP, I've stayed well clear after hearing some horror stories from supermarket fuels.

One thing I will say, which is always been a strange one in my clio, if I cant find a shell station to fill up with vpower I may need to put some 95 in the tank, however the car always feels faster running on 95? It doesnt make sense to me

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
I've read that tesco momentum has a lower calorific value than v-power?

Possibly correct, as I believe it has a higher percentage of bio. If that is the case is may be necessary to run slightly richer to get the best out of it.