ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance

Clio182
Right guys , give me your best !!

I'm looking at putting my Clio 182 on the road for just 6 months of the year (summer) and il basically be using it very little ! Itl be my pride and joy and I want to keep it mint !! Il probably cover less than 3000 miles in it too!! What sort of deal can I get on the insurance? The only thing I can think of is cancel the policy half way through.

Ideas please!

Monaco - 172
I think there's a few special 6 months policies you can take out. May be worth getting a few quotes together for the 6 month policies, and then get the price of a 12 month policy (and find out how much it is to cancel half way through). That's how I'd approach it.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Hey matey!

I've worked in Insurance for a long time! I currently work for Swinton. To be honest, that is gonna be your best bet. If you can afford it, you are also best to pay for the policy in full, rather than Direct Debit. DD will mean you enter a credit agreement which means you will always have a cancellation fee to pay! Cancelling a paid in full policy means you will still have a canc fee but will get a percentage of the cash back. Need any more advice then let me know.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Right guys , give me your best !!

I'm looking at putting my Clio 182 on the road for just 6 months of the year (summer) and il basically be using it very little ! Itl be my pride and joy and I want to keep it mint !! Il probably cover less than 3000 miles in it too!! What sort of deal can I get on the insurance? The only thing I can think of is cancel the policy half way through.

Ideas please!

We could do a low mileage policy like you need 3000 per year. That would lead to some very competitive premiums.

You could cancel after 6 months and providing there is no claim you would receive a refund back. Some insurance companies issue a pro-ratta refund (day by day) for the cancellation so you only pay for the days you use and some cancel on a short period basis so the cancellation refund can be quite low if cancelled in the first year. As a broker we deal with companies that offer both so if you wanted to get in touch (drop me a pm with yoiur contact details) I can look at the options for you.

The only downside would be that if you took out the policy and claimed on it then you would have to pay the whole premium. So if that did occur for that year you may as well let the policy run the whole year....Obviously only doing 3k miles a year it will be unlikey you would need claim.

Best regards
Neil
Greenlight

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Just take out a low milage policy, covered for 3k miles. Then when you dont use the car leave the insurance running and get your whole years NCB?

Ford Mustang 5.0
Just take out a low milage policy, covered for 3k miles. Then when you dont use the car leave the insurance running and get your whole years NCB?

Thats definately recommended if you are keeping the car as you will also get a renewal discount every year that you keep the policy. It will likely work out cheaper in the long run than doing a new policy every 6 months.

Plus the car is covered if someone stole it from the garage where its kept over winter....Also as its insured you could even take it out a few times over the winter to keep the wheels turning and stop anything from seizing.

This is the way i would do it in the same situation. It saves the hassle of keep sorning the car and retaxing it as well :)

Ph1 track car, Dci
^^ Ring that bloke up, Neil at green light did a great price for me, nice bloke too, i only really use mine in spring/summer but a limited mileage policy was cheap enough it didn't really make a difference insuring it for the whole year. Always handy if your daily breaks down or something aswell.

Ford Mustang 5.0
^^ Ring that bloke up, Neil at green light did a great price for me, nice bloke too, i only really use mine in spring/summer but a limited mileage policy was cheap enough it didn't really make a difference insuring it for the whole year. Always handy if your daily breaks down or something aswell.

Thanks mate :approve:

Clio182
Sounds like a great idea to me, thanks for the advice guys , will phone up nearer march time to hopefully strike a deal ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Just to add to this, I've just come off the phone from Neil at Greenlight to sort my insurance. A top bloke, clearly knows his stuff and beat the next nearest quote for me (Brentacre) by half. Great service and a great price.