ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance rebate rights

The missus has a month left on her policy and they are not prepared to re insure her unless she pays £1500 more than last year. Obviously that is an insult and financially unviable so she wishes to cancel the policy and will have to sell the car. They are saying that because the policy has passed 10 months, they can cancel it without a problem, but no money can be refunded after this period.

She paid a large sum so a months insurance is quite a chunk. She paid for it in one lump upfront so I assume this has something to do with it?

how come she wants to cancel it, can you not let it run upto renewal and then look elsewhere?

Also the cancellation; she is probably getting charges which cancel out the refund she would have got

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
In the original paperwork they shoul have included a refund policy. Tbh my car and bike are the same as hers.

But as said above why cancel? Contact them and make it clear you will not re insuring through them and start looking now for a new company

She has 4 years NCB.

She paid nigh on 2200 last year for insurance and they are wanting over 3500.

The insurance company are saying that the car is invalid on the policy. She has asked if she is actually currently covered and legal to drive it and the Indian didn't know what she meant. No point in leaving it the last month if there is a chance she could be prosecuted for using it in the next month so will pull it off the road and sell it.

She has found the best quote to be around the same as last year, over 2k. Which I keep telling her is stupid to pay for insurance.

She is going to ring back soon and speak to someone who is a bit more clued up on the situation and go from there. If the car is legal on the road still, then yeah she will keep it insured for the last month.

Titanium 182
I don't get it...

Let the current policy run till the end of its term and tell the company you wont be renewing once it ends. Then sell the car, she keeps 1 years ncb.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Surely if her names on the policy an the car is also correct then she's covered its that simple, if they've provided written proof of vehicle, name, address, mods if any and everything else then she's covered.

If I were her I'd call them up and request a manager and just simply ask am I covered currently yes or no? Ask them to also make a note of the call and the enquiry to be safe.

Clio MK 4
Surely if her names on the policy an the car is also correct then she's covered its that simple, if they've provided written proof of vehicle, name, address, mods if any and everything else then she's covered.

If I were her I'd call them up and request a manager and just simply ask am I covered currently yes or no? Ask them to also make a note of the call and the enquiry to be safe.

Ye if she paid for it giving all correct details she will be covered! Most insurance companies wont rebate if you have around 2 months left. I would let the insurance run its course and just dont renew and look else where that way she keeps the ncb's going.

what car she got for it to be 2k? I did a quote for a laugh for a 16k evo which had 603bhp (loads of mods inside out with ncbs protected) for 2k lol i was quite impressed. i am 24 with 6yrs ncb but still i was expecting loads more!

what on earth is she driving to be paying that much??

Impreza Type RA at 20 years old.

She has got hold of someone at the brokers. They have got on to the company that insured her last year and they have said they can insure her next year now. I presume that the 'car is invalid' bit meant that they couldn't originally continue the policy on due to the insurers not wanting to know.

They stated that 3500 is the best that they can do due to the increasing amount of claims on those vehicles.

The car is insured still so they haven't cheekily cancelled it part way through because of any issues so it won't be cancelled.

All I have to do now is persuade her that it is stupid to pay that amount to insure a car!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
insurance sucks, crrrently need to cancel my insurance on the TT as they wont cover me on my new car, only 3 months in and they will only give me £100 back!
piss take

Insurers wont just cancel half way through a policy anyway just because they dont want to insure her anymore

Have you tried looking elsewhere??

BG 182 FF
That sucks!

Get in contact with http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Many years ago I made a claim only to be told that the policy was void. They're really helpful, even got me compensation for the inconvenience cause.

Always remember, an insurance companies job is not to payout – if they can find the smallest excuse!

Clio MK 4
tbf they not all bad.

My brother bought a corsa for 2.5k on tpft and 1 year later someone set it on fire. He went through his insurance and they offered to pay 2.8k! so he made money.

I bought my 52plate 172 on 30kmiles for 5.5k 3 years ago. A month ago a woman went into it whilst it was parked and it was a write off. I went through her insurance to which they were quick and efficient. got my car booked in with a courtesy car. i didnt pay a penny. they then offered me 3.6k (Was on 61k ) for it. i said i was hoping for 4.5k and we agreed 4.3k, got my check 3 days later. I got well more than i should with no arguments

Megane 225
My GF's mum reversed into the side of my car when it was parked. Claimed of her insurance and when I renewed there it still went against me as a not at fault claim! WTF???!:S Daylight robbery! Barstewards!

Westy. MX5
Impreza r's are the 2 door models if I remember, classed as import vehicles. Are you sure you declared that it was an import when you took out the policy? As for the chavs buying them now there are a lots off claims now.

320d
insurance sucks, crrrently need to cancel my insurance on the TT as they wont cover me on my new car, only 3 months in and they will only give me £100 back!
piss take

+1

If I cancelled my policy last week i'd of got £67 back but I got £47 back and insured a car with them for another 4 months.

They just don't like giving anything back.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Usually, the insurance won't refund on a pro-rata basis, it's normally somthing like 2 months less than the remaining months left. So 10 months is 2 months left, minus 2, so zero refund. And usually a cancellation fee dedcuted from that too from any refund.

your mrs drives a type RA impreza, MINT!!!!

As much as it was a bonus at first, its annoying having a girl that wants to spend loads of money on cars aswell as other girly crap.

I'm trying to get her to have a boring car that is cheap to run and maintain.

Shame to sell her Subaru as it is near mint for a 16 year old bus on low miles, but the insurance makes it unaffordable.

Clio 182 Cup FF
i work in motor claims insurance... so unless they have sent you a letter saying they have cancelled the policy ( this must be in writing ) or requested the insurance certificate back they are still insuring you.

Also if they are asking more for the renewal try asking to speak to the retentions department as they have quite a bit of authority to adjust the price!!

Also now she has 4 years NCD make sure you get the NCD protection on the policy as if you make a claim your be back to 2 years with a roughly 50% increase but if you keep ya NCD your looking at only a 10% :)
hope this helps