ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance!! Extremely Expensive!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A standard car will still be a fortune, insurance is mental this year.

BUT

Insure that for 4k and you need your head looking at, with the money you've spent "making it your own" and will spend insuring it, you could have bought a nicer, newer, faster car and insured that. Older car generally tend to cost more to insure now due to crash stats.

You could have a 53 plate Clio, 1.2 16v and be away.

Clio 172 ph1.
Mate if u can, get a cheap little unmoded punto. Drive that for a year. Thatll cost u two grand to buy and insure. The other two gran u can put into ure modded one. Save for an engine conversion. But don't waste it on insurance. It really is worth waiting on this one.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Getting insurance after passing your test is a nightmare i payed £2.5k for my first year along with a few others on the forum, after a year it dropped 1k. I know they are not the best but try quinn?

Ahh to be 17 again, I went on my mums insurance for first 2/3 year, only £600 fully comp, job done!

(don't mod the car though as the insurers know it's not your mums) lol

If you pay £4k to insure that, no offence it's not exactly a clunge magnet, your a mentalist!!!

;)

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
I massivley regret spunking 2.5k for insurance on my old clio so think about it carefully.

Bell, 20 yrs old, 3 years NCB, modified declared, 350 excess, 1.2 clio... £687

Tried them? ^ Admiral was that price and bell matched it as there sister company... because im already with em.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Bell, 20 yrs old, 3 years NCB, modified declared, 350 excess, 1.2 clio... £687

Tried them? ^ Admiral was that price and bell matched it as there sister company... because im already with em.

No declared mods I assume?

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
I was getting quotes for £3,400 on my 1.2 clio mk1, and that was before i passed. Once i passed, my first years insruance cost £1,100, me as first driver and mum as second driver.

Even paying a grand was a pain, you might as well through that money down the drain or watch it burn. £4,000 is a total waste, dont pay it.

I would rather pay £4000 a year to drag my testicles through 6 miles of broken glass to get to work every day than pay £4000 a year for insurance on that.

You are mental if you pay that.

Take the mods off, especially the cage and all the gay as f**k decals and sell them for some cash.

Drive around in a boggo standard clio for a couple of years and earn some no claims then you can modify a car.

Add your mum/sister/auntie/any female member of the family to the policy aswell as this usually brings it down

260% JCW
If you can afford it crack on, your still an idiot though. Its a f**king Clio at the end of the day.

Do what most people do, 1st car = standard something small to build up no claims and experience. Stop trying to run before you can walk.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ahh to be 17 again, I went on my mums insurance for first 2/3 year, only £600 fully comp, job done!

This. £500 fully comp for a 4 year old fiesta 1.6si - I was main driver on dad's policy though, so completely legit!! Did it for 4 years until i was 21 & insurance was cheaper. Then paid £900 for a 106 gti with 0 no-claims bonus.

Was also named driver on dad's range rover & mums 106.

Sod paying £4k a year, for a 1.2 clio. Madness.

To the OP. Make the 1.2 standard, then insure with every old person you know on the policy, it will make it cheaper. Buy a MK1 16v, put your buckets in that, & get an old person to drive it to track days for you, then have some fun.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Dave, sounds like you did the exact same as me, 1.2 Clio for 4 years, get to 21, 0 NCB, get the 2.0 and put it in my name. £1k, but that's not too bad for a year.

BMW F21 125d
£4,000 - Epic LOLs.
Have you tried Sky Insurance, I know a few (including myself) are insured with them and they are mod friendly.

BMW M135i
Is that even worth insuring fully comp? Just insure it TPFT and don't declare, be a lot cheaper and better than fronting. Don't be a knob an crash it and you'll be laughing.

/devilsadvocate

I've been driving 6 years now and I reckon if I added my annual insurance premium together for each of those years, it wouldn't be much over £4000. Crazy:S

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
ive been driving almost 6 years...
insured on my dads name the first 3 years and my own for 3(on the 3rd year now) have paid....around £ 4500
IF i had gone insured on my own straight away and earned my own no claims (wich everybody claims it is worth it in the long run) i would of paid around £7000

all insurance threads should be locked imo, its all a load of shite...the companys dont just make a decent profit they make MEGA profit....but thats business, we can rant and rave all we like, fact is we have to pay it. they are the gaffa's in this situation not us.

Lol. It actually = insurance fraud. But anyway...

Not when the have specifically been told who the main driver of the car.

Most insurers specify that the registered keeper of the car must be the policy holder, but someone else might be the main driver of the car.

Disastra Coupe
I'm so glad i passed when i did. Insurance was still expensive but was a lot cheaper than nowadays.

Really do think my brother ought to pass his test soon and get a car. I can only see price's rising and if he isn't quick about it he simply won't be able to afford it.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
To the OP, no one is tryingt o tell you what to do, but bare in mind, that the vast majority of people on here have been there and done that.

That includes either / or both of:

A - Paying huge sums of money to insure 'their' car.

B - Insured 'their' car, only to write it off. Usually just after they have told their mate to "watch this".

No one is trying to be a prick, but learn from other people's mistakes as well as you're own.

Chances are (backed up by stats) you will write your beloved pride and joy off anyway. Might as well write off something you don't care about.

Cheap car, TPFT, couple of years NCB, then insure anything you want for less than a grand @ 21.

As has been said, you drop silly money on insurance, you will regret it in a few years times.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
ive been driving almost 6 years...
insured on my dads name the first 3 years and my own for 3(on the 3rd year now) have paid....around £ 4500
IF i had gone insured on my own straight away and earned my own no claims (wich everybody claims it is worth it in the long run) i would of paid around £7000

all insurance threads should be locked imo, its all a load of shite...the companys dont just make a decent profit they make MEGA profit....but thats business, we can rant and rave all we like, fact is we have to pay it. they are the gaffa's in this situation not us.

insurance companys have made 0 proffit this year, with the exeption of admiral group. thats why prices are going so high. the companies making a loss hack their prices up joe bloggs pays for it, admiral group hike their prices and make it 1% cheaper than the cheapest alternative to gain customers. that way your still paying top dollar only its slighty cheaper than the companies who are not in proffit.
i know for a fact admiral have made their target of customers 6 months in advance because of this. and it helps thet they own half the insurance companies and confused.com (ever wondered how the cheapest insurer on confused is always part of admiral group ;))

its a nessicary evil and has to be paid but if the OP pays £4k for that clio i can offer an alternative...
ill send you off to a mental home take that £4k and spend it on something worth while!

Clio 16v
I agree with some others on here. It's a good idea to drive something a bit cheaper for the first year, then it goes down loads providing you don't crash.

Alternatively you can just contact all the insurance companies you can think of. Search the comparison websites, add your mum or dad to the insurance policy.
I did this earlier in the year and managed to get a good quote with Budget Insurance. Happy so far.

the idea of downgrading is parp.

i am now on a ph1 172 (prev group 16) whilst the meg225 (prev group 17) gets fixed, with another years no claim, limited milage, VIP section. mines gone up 150 quid. i struggled to pay it last year so not a sniff i'm going to this year.

flux will be getting a tasty phone call come thursday ;)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
And your insurance will be void.

Meh, as long as he doesn't crash he'll be fine... That price is extortionate so anything he can do to knock it down would help. Stick parents on too and a low annual mileage, and I didn't know that about insurance companies jaffman, how'd you find that out?

Meh, as long as he doesn't crash he'll be fine... That price is extortionate so anything he can do to knock it down would help. Stick parents on too and a low annual mileage, and I didn't know that about insurance companies jaffman, how'd you find that out?

you son, are a tit. i'm out there paying a grand and a half. you hit me without proper insurance, finance would be the last of your worries.

be a man.

You will never see hat £4000 again. And, you'll have to pay about £3000 again next year. That's SEVEN THOUSAND POUNDS you will never see again, and have nothing to show for.