ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

insurance argument

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
oioi!

right. at the moment, im 17 and insured on my mums car. ive got plans and bought some stuff ready to fit to the car, like alloys and an exhaust for example. ive alredy put on new lights.

anyway the argument ive been having with my mum over insurance is that fitting alloys is gona affect it. so we should change to CIS or something that allows mods.

aye, so now shes moaning at me cause she doesnt want to change the insurance, which covers anyone she gives permission to, because she wants my sister to be able to use the car this summer to learn to drive.

F*CK SAKE.

any advice?

Dude, it's her car!

Go buy your own, get your own insurance and then mod it. If you can't afford to do that, be grateful for the fact you have use of a car, and stop complaining!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Zebrs said:
Dude, it's her car!

Go buy your own, get your own insurance and then mod it. If you can't afford to do that, be grateful for the fact you have use of a car, and stop complaining!

Exactly.

M2 Competition
Bit cheeky buying things to fit to someone elses car, without asking!

Or u could just fit them while she's out, see if she notices... lol

Astra SRi T
jimbo666 said:
most practical option, get you own car. its yours do to as you please with then!!
best option, you dont really wana mod your mums car do u?

Last edited:
  S2000
Best bet would be to get your own car if you can afford it, otherwise you'll have to convince your mum but if she isn't for it then your gonna have to live with it. What company are you with just now? CIS also do a policy that covers anyone to drive it, but they don't like any mods now as they have changed their underwriters. Speak to your current insurance and see how much it would cost, might be cheaper to stick with them tbh.

M2 Competition
Also, your own car, and your own insurance, will be well worth it in like two years time when you've got no claims. Buy a cheapy, run around in it for a year or so,
far better investment than alloys etc imo.

Golf GTI 1.8T
my bro thought he'd be cool and do this to my mum and his corsa. now she wants to sell it and him get his own car, too much hassle.

Golf GTI 1.8T
jimbo666 said:
plus, mums with alloy wheels dont mix ;) or sisters learning to drive no no no no no no

lol I didnt think about that. EXACTLY!! thats them curbed already, although mum has been very good with mine, not one mark yet :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
so uve spent about £600+ (thats if its all new stuff) on modding your mums car? £600 will get you a good enough car, much better idea get it insured then after that think about modding it!

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
well... 500 to buy my own car, then about 800 to insure it if im lucky. thats 1300 already.

im getting my insurance paid for if i use my mums. this car is goign to be mine in the next year once my sister passes.

basically im not in a position to get my own car... so other than "get your own car" any advice as in... insurance companies that i can use so i can add stuff to it that my sister can be on aswell?

M2 Competition
I know where you're coming from mate, but in two years time when you still have no no-claims bonus, and cant ever get insured on an rs', you'll wish you'd gone the 'own car' route.

Vee dub
how about drive your mum's car and leave it alone?

then when you buy your own.. mod it as you wish?

simple

Astra SRi T
its worth getting ur no claims my insurance for my 1st car was £1100, after 1 yr no claims it went down to £795! best thing u can do

and now after 3/4 yrs its £345

Astra SRi T
samg1988 said:
well... 500 to buy my own car, then about 800 to insure it if im lucky. thats 1300 already.

im getting my insurance paid for if i use my mums. this car is goign to be mine in the next year once my sister passes.

basically im not in a position to get my own car... so other than "get your own car" any advice as in... insurance companies that i can use so i can add stuff to it that my sister can be on aswell?
i know but for example my bro 18 - car £400, insurance with quinn direct £640 3rd party!

its gonna be bout the same in the end if you keep moddin ur mums car, or why not wait till its yours

Leave it as it is until she gives it to you and you can say its your own car.

Then you can mod it as you wish.

Don't mod someone elses car.

I won't mod my dad's 2.0 TDI A4 estate even though i'm insured on it as well as my 172. It's just not right.

I think it looks bloody stupid when you see middle aged women driving around in "bad boy'd" up cars with huge alloys, stupid 5" exhausts and lexus lights just because their son thought it would be a good idea to mod it now they have passed and are insured on it.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Everything else has already been mentioned but just thought I'd point out, your sister wont be able to use the car for learning if you just keep the same policy. The policy does not allow just anyone to drive it, they must be of a certain age and actually have a driving license so she will have to change the policy to include your sister as a provisional learner.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Chris K said:
Leave it as it is until she gives it to you and you can say its your own car.

Then you can mod it as you wish.

Don't mod someone elses car.

I won't mod my dad's 2.0 TDI A4 estate even though i'm insured on it as well as my 172. It's just not right.

I think it looks bloody stupid when you see middle aged women driving around in "bad boy'd" up cars with huge alloys, stupid 5" exhausts and lexus lights just because their son thought it would be a good idea to mod it now they have passed and are insured on it.

Hmm, well I'm 'middle aged' (was 45 2 weeks ago) just put 16" alloys on my Clio and intend to put kit, exhuast etc on her. Do you think I am going to look stupid too then huh? :p

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
samg1988 I really don't think modding your Mums car is a good idea, especially if your Sister is going to learn to drive in it. I agree with the others that say you should wait until the car is yours, then do it.

DynamiqueDebz said:
Hmm, well I'm 'middle aged' (was 45 2 weeks ago) just put 16" alloys on my Clio and intend to put kit, exhuast etc on her. Do you think I am going to look stupid too then huh? :p

Yes