ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insufficient suspension coil twists to use compressor...?

2004 Clio MkII
On the right, you will see that I am unable to attach a compressor on opposite sides because there aren't enough twists and no space with what's there, so presumably death or injury would be imminent.

On the left, you will see that if I only reach the hooks across one twist, they won't go any closer together than being loosely on to begin with.

Is this my DIY coil replacement end of the line?

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_161540.jpg
    IMG_20180606_161540.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 60
  2004 Clio MkII
Stock springs? Shouldnt need them on Eibach's etc

I assume so, I don't know the history but it's not a well-worn car so originals are possible.

The replacements I bought can be compressed, but it seems I have no way of getting the old ones off to make the change?

2014 Clio 200t edc
just be careful, on my last 172 one side was genuine and didn't need a compressor but the other side wasn't original or a sport spring, so flew off. luckily I noticed and put it against the bin. health and safety taught well!!
but to echo everyone else advice, on a standard 172 you will not need compressors.

2004 Clio MkII
just be careful, on my last 172 one side was genuine and didn't need a compressor but the other side wasn't original or a sport spring, so flew off. luckily I noticed and put it against the bin. health and safety taught well!!
but to echo everyone else advice, on a standard 172 you will not need compressors.

Plain old MK2, probably should have remembered to say.

Anyway, I braced the coil at somewhat-opposite points and then undid the top, which did ping across the room a bit but nothing too drastic. Safety goggles were on, end was pointed elsewhere, pets locked out, etc.

I think I'll just get a garage to decompress and swap coil on the other side and do the rest myself.

2004 Clio MkII
Close enough force compressors round as far as you can

I did, and I'm probably treating it more like a bomb than is necessary but it's not worth risking doing improperly for the sake of literally a few minutes of a mechanic's time. I'd rather be a wimp. The nut did fly across the room a bit dramatically.

Besides, its taking longer than I thought; I misjudged the compressor positions on the replacement and have to start all over again and the car being publicly up on jacks overnight in the driveway makes me nervous.

I won't have the problem with the new coils so it's not like I'll keep asking them to do it. Begone to my problems, I say.

2004 Clio MkII
Thanks all for your help.

Garage helped me out, rest wenta OK. The other spring had cleanly lost a piece and was no longer sitting in the right place in the cup. Ridiculous ride height difference now gone. Nothing more amusing than pulling out for a test drive onto roads with pot holes... not.

Score one for something new tried andonto an ominous sounded clunk when braking at low speeds that was apparently unrelated to the broken coil.