ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 328i (Budget) Track Car

Most of you knew my Mk1 Clio which was used for track days over 3 years, then the E30 with the SR20DET fitted. After beginning to re-shell the E30 I lost all interest in the project, and decided it was going to take too long to get working properly, not to mention iron out all the niggles. One of the main reasons was it was only used twice in the space of 6-7 months, I just wanted to get back out there and drive something on a regular basis which wouldn't need so many 'custom' parts to keep it working properly. Anyhow I broke the E30 for parts and got a great return on the money that went into it, keeping my seats once again along with a few other bits. Then started browsing....

I planned on not bothering buying something for a while and just keeping the money in the bank. That idea soon went out of the window and I decided to look at getting something - I needed RWD, and something with comparable pace to the Clio. After realising how cheap E36 328i Coupes were I decided to just go and buy one, only live once... right?

In the past I have always borrowed trailers to take the Clio/E30 to track days, but now I had the opportunity to go and buy one myself so went out and purchased a tilt bed capable of fitting an E36 on with room to spare. Turned out it was even better with the one I got had a tyre rack on the front of it. The plan was to find a cheap 328i Sport, sort the brakes and handling and leave the rest standard for now leaving as much cash aside as possible for track days/fuel. I banked half of the E30 return fund, then purchased the trailer, leaving the remainder to buy a 328i, do some bits to it and do a couple of track days.

After a week or so of searching, going to view a few and test driving some I found one that seemed to fit the bill. The body/chassis were solid, few patches of surface rust (arches), a few car park dents (to be expected), full service history and 116k. I wasn't concerned about the bodywork as long as the mechanical side was spot on, at the end of the day its only ever going to be a track day car. After some further searching there was nothing else that came close so I went ahead and bought it..

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8631.jpg

A couple of people were planning on doing Oulton Park on 25th July, so I decided to plan on getting it ready for that for its first outing. First job once I had it back was to strip the inside bar the dashboard..

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8618.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

Shame it didn't come with a set of these instead! :(

The interior went straight on eBay, 99p start. Ended up selling it for £51, good return considering I was going to put it all in the tip! The front seats weigh a LOT, at least 50kg each I reckon. Planning on weighing it at Oulton when I go to see what the end weight is.

Browsing eBay for 'E36 Coilovers' I came across a used set of H&R's which looked in great condition. Only height adjustable but thats all I wanted for now, less to play with and worry about on a track day. Ended up winning and collecting them for £300. The seller had paid £1100 for them a year earlier :clown:

IMG_8626.jpg

Couple of days later I got them on the car and set it to an all round equal height..

IMG_8625.jpg

IMG_8627.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

After leaving it until the weekend it settled and the front was a tad low..

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

So the first job on the list for next time was to raise it up slightly. The brakes had recently been replaced by the previous owner, but they were not performance items and I wanted to upgrade the fronts anyway. Some bargin E46 330i front calipers and carriers were sourced locally on eBay for £50 (direct bolt on fit), taking the disc size upto 325x25mm from 286x22mm. Brembo HC's were purchased from G172 on here for £90, and some Carbone Lorraine RC6 Pads for £140.

IMG_8649.jpg

Old setup:

IMG_8651.jpg

Removed:

IMG_8652.jpg

Disc comparison:

IMG_8653.jpg

Caliper comparison:

IMG_8654.jpg

I raised the coilovers while I was there on both sides, then fitted the new setup:

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

Wheels back on - worth noting that I will need to run at least 17" wheels to clear these, which I am planning on changing to once the tyres on the 18" have worn out. There is more availability for semi-slicks and slicks in 17" it seems!

IMG_8658.jpg

With the bigger front calipers a bigger master cylinder would be required to compensate, otherwise the pedal travel would end up being reallly long. I sourced a servo/master cylinder setup from a 3.2 M3 Evo (same brake line ports/size as the standard 328i item) and swapped them over..

IMG_8661.jpg

IMG_8662.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

After a bit of a fight with rusty rear bleed nipples I eventually got the brakes bled with some Super Blue flushing the whole system out. Pedal feel was great.

With the car being a 1997 model it did not have an LSD as standard, instead it has ABS and ASC (traction control). This basically consists of a system that can brake the back wheels independently and a second throttle body (in front of the normal one) that the ECU can open and close to control the engine. I wanted to disable both systems, which isn't too complicated thankfully. Started by removing both relays, unplugging any wiring associated with the second throttle body and removing the ABS computer. With this particular version of ABS it usually feeds the ECU a road speed signal from the wheel sensors, if the ECU does not see this signal it limits the ECU to approximately 5000rpm. Simply had to add a wire from the speedo feed on the clocks (Pin2 Blue Connector) to the ECU (Pin15) and the full limiter will be restored, as the diff (which runs the speedo) will now provide the ECU with a road speed signal.

The viscous fan was working on the car when I got it, but I wanted it removed anyway to free up some space. The usual mod is to fit a lower temp fan switch to the radiator (80deg instead of 90deg) which kicks in the air conditioning radiator electric fan sooner. Instead of using a BMW part I read that a Volvo 430 fan switch was a direct replacement and the correct temp rating, so picked one up from the local factors and fitted it..

IMG_8674.jpg

Cut the connector off and crimped two spade connectors on, then plugged it in. At the same time I removed the AC compressor and lines from the engine, some more weight gone at least!

Next up was to swap the standard non-LSD diff out for a quicker LSD one. Sourced a M3 3.0 LSD (3.15 ratio) and propshaft and set about fitting it.

IMG_8677.jpg

The first big problem with the job was the exhaust had been totally bodged on in the past and all the bolts holding the downpipe to the headers were rusted solid. After lots of grinding, drilling and hammering I finally got the entire system off revealing the propshaft.

Propshaft comparison:

IMG_8679.jpg

Finally dropped the diff out (heavy!)..

IMG_8680.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg

Then swapped the output flanges over with the 328 diff so the driveshaft stud pattern would match..

IMG_8685.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

Before fitting it onto the car I filled it up with some LSD gear oil (Castrol B373), then finishing by lifting it back up into place and bolting everything back on. The studs on the headers <> downpipes had to be drilled out and bolted instead. I will eventually remove the headers along with the whole exhaust and replace it all, as I dont like the system thats currently on it (complete bodge), but theres always time to do that in the future.

Before putting the wheels back on I wanted to remove the paint from the bolt seats, as I've had problems with wheels coming loose on track due to paint being left on in the past! I had saw a cool trick on another forum a while back that worked, so tried it myself.

Take 1 old wheel bolt and cut a few angled slats in it with a grinder..

IMG_8687.jpg

Then drop it into the wheel and turn a few times to clear the paint..

IMG_8686.jpg

Job done. All four wheels back on and a few other jobs were done like un-seizing the track rod ends and doing the tracking, fitting some standard wing mirrors I had painted black (£10 eBay - to get rid of the M3 items that were on it!), black grilles (£20 eBay) and smoked indicators (£10 eBay). When I was doing the tracking I also spotted the front wishbones actually have M3 bushes fitted, which someone must have done in the past at some point - bonus I guess!

Now that the car was mechanically sorted all that was left to do is make my seats fit. Thankfully the E36 has a very simple floorpan. The standard seat mounting holes are perfectly level and in a rectangular shape. I got some 40x7mm flat bar, cut it to length and bolted it to the standard mounting points. Then decided what sort of position I wanted my seats in and welded two bars in the opposite direction.

After marking up where the side mounts needed to be bolted to I drilled for those and bolted everything in - really solid and a very good position, leaving slight front-back adjustability from the side mounts if ever required.

IMG_8688.jpg

Fitted the steering wheel from the E30 and bolted both seats in:

IMG_8689.jpg

..and it was pretty much ready to go. Checked over all the nuts and bolts that had been touched, tested the brakes and other bits then loaded it up on the trailer ready for Oulton Park. In all there was only a couple of days work involved to get it to this stage, the longest day was messing about getting the exhaust off but everything else is simple bolt on stuff which anyone would be capable of doing.

I did consider buying an E36 M3 before this, but soon forgot the idea as they are obviously more expensive to start with, not to mention more expensive to run parts wise. For a fraction of the cost I could have a well prepared 328i with choice mods and still come in way under the cost of one. Obviously there are plenty of mods out there for the 328 engine, with the main one being the gains from the M50 inlet, larger throttle body, etc. I decided to leave doing that for a while as I want to use the car 'as is', so when I do eventually want to swap over I will feel the gains from it more, rather than having it on there from the start.

More to come :approve:

This is going to be awesome as usual.

Makes me miss mine like hell even though its still on the drive.

The Alpina527 manifold/BBTB is a superb upgrade when you do get round to it. Completely changes the last 2/3k of the rev range.

For a really worthwhile and cheap mod, get a z3m shift lever - much shorter than stock and gives a great feel, plus as its oem it all fits as it should.

Also, when you come to ditch the exhaust system, these can go for pennies if you get lucky. Ive seen them sell for £130 and they weigh way less than stock.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-3...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c66b4d465

The fitment is amazingly bad but they sound absolutely bats**t:
[youtube]nw5n3PSKgiM[/youtube]

Sunflower Ph1 172
Gutted I missed the first run out, but good to see you with something on track again after months of messing around.

This is going to be awesome as usual.

Makes me miss mine like hell even though its still on the drive.

The Alpina527 manifold/BBTB is a superb upgrade when you do get round to it. Completely changes the last 2/3k of the rev range.

For a really worthwhile and cheap mod, get a z3m shift lever - much shorter than stock and gives a great feel, plus as its oem it all fits as it should.

Also, when you come to ditch the exhaust system, these can go for pennies if you get lucky. Ive seen them sell for £130 and they weigh way less than stock.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-3...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c66b4d465

The fitment is amazingly bad but they sound absolutely bats**t:
[youtube]nw5n3PSKgiM[/youtube]

Interesting, I can't wait to bin off this Scorpion 'DTM' backbox, it was 100db on a noise test with the cats and center silencers still in. The whole exhaust is a complete bodge by the previous owner to be honest, its got a standard front section with cats/silencers, then a Scorpion rear section welded solid on in the middle so the whole thing has to be removed in one piece! The studs on the headers are f*cked also (where the downpipes join) so I need to remove the manifolds ideally too.

I was thinking of removing everything (at the head), cleaning and replacing studs as necessary and fitting another set of manifolds (S50?) then making up an exhaust from there. Not sure what common practice is but I need something under 100db without cats ideally!

This doesn't look riggy enough for you ;)

Good start.

Plenty of time yet!

After swapping a couple of tyres round with my other BMW, I ended up with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's all round on the E36. 245 on the back, and 225 on the front. I filled the car up with fuel and set off for Oulton Park..

IMG_8690.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

Went out to do the sighting laps and everything felt fine, although when coming back into the garage coolant was leaking from the front of the car. After popping the bonnet we realised the radiator cap seal was leaking and the system was not pressurising. After letting everything cool down we re-bled the coolant and I fitted the cap from my E46 (thank god BMW use the same type fitment radiator caps!) and everything seemed to be ok!

IMG_8693.jpg

We decided to test if the electric fan was actually working by bridging the two wires going to the fan switch, although the fan would not start up. After trying to turn it by hand we realised why, it was seized solid. After trying to turn it the actual fan blade snapped off, so I ended up leaving it at that. Headed back out onto track and the temps sat happily in the middle, just had to make sure I didn't leave it running when sat still.

Taking it quite easily over the first few sessions to get the tyre pressures somewhere near and a feel for the car - in summary it felt really good, the power is very smooth and progressive, the brakes are brilliant (with VERY good pedal feel) and the handling was tight.

IMG_8697.jpg

IMG_8708.jpg

IMG_8698.jpg

The more I pushed it the more it became apparent how easily the back end would step out if you gave it that bit too much throttle (and in reality still taking it quite easily here compared to how we used to hammer the Clios round!). Obviously it requires a completely different driving style and is something that needs to be got used to, but still I carried on..

After a few more sessions I started to get a burning smell inside the cabin when cornering, and thought one of the tyres might be rubbing on the bodywork. It only seemed to do it on right hand bends, to which I realised the exhaust must be moving over and touching the inside of the rear wheel! I brought the car back in and it was touching the backbox, luckily there wasn't much damage to the tyre but it needed to be sorted. A couple of minutes (and a big hammer) later I had bashed the backbox out of shape and well clear of the wheel/tyre, ready to carry on.

599692_427968547254689_1458272605_n.jpg

306792_427968520588025_909974670_n.jpg

I had adjusted the tyre pressures on the rear to approx 32psi hot and went back out on my own. Getting quicker each lap everything felt fine, stepped out at the Foulstons chicane a handful of times but thought nothing of it and continued. Only now I realise I had actually been out for 20mins+ and I think the pressure of the back tyres had increased a bit too far (road tyres after all), which is what I think caused a bit of a slide going through Lodge corner. I corrected it on the downslope but then went right-left-right and slid down the grass finishing with a small bump into the barrier.

It drove off the track fine and there was minimal damage on inspection, just a small dent, scuffed bumper and a cracked corner on the rear light. Quickly checked the tyre pressures whilst hot and they were circa 35psi on the backs, possibly why. I popped the light out and bashed the dent out then re-fitted it. Another good reason in having a cheap car with average bodywork from the offset!

IMG_8699.jpg

I headed back out onto the track and everything seemed fine, drove well and built the pace back up. After lunch I felt the front end become 'loose' around one of the corners, and thought that it could possibly be a loose wheel or track rod end. Came back in and torqued everything back up, track rod ends looked fine too. Once again headed back out and the feeling was still there, slightly worse than before.

Returned it back to the garage and got both sides of the floor to check for play. The drivers side wheel bearing (which had been replaced just before I got the car) seemed to be wobbling all over the show. I thought it would be worthwhile checking if the hub nut was correctly torqued, so popped the cap off to be greeted with a 46mm nut - a huge socket that I did not have! After asking other drivers, race teams and the Oulton Park garage none of them had one - could not believe it. We even had a drive out to a mates house to try a couple of his sockets, but nothing was the correct size, so unfortunately it looked like it was the day over.

IMG_8700.jpg

IMG_8701.jpg

I admitted defeat with the hub and loaded the car back on the trailer, not worth risking it with only an hour left on the day..

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

Even with the issues and everything that happened it was a really good day and got a great feel for the car. Just need to take it back out again once the bits are sorted and have a further play with the setup and learn more about how it drives. Completely different to anything I've ever pushed on track before, but certainly so much better.

Road tyres will always be the limiting factor but I'm going to run the Michelins all the way down on the 18s then look out to swap to 17s with some stickier tyres in the future.

482140_427919320592945_1652664504_n.jpg

Also weighed the car with 3/4 a tank of fuel and it came in at 1175kg. From a quick search on the net the 328i Sports weigh approx 1400kg from factory depending on spec, so quite a bit of weight has been lost already!

The bits on the list 'to sort' are:

- 46mm socket to torque front hubs, replace if bearing has gone
- New radiator cap
- Slimline radiator fan & remove AC radiator
- Replace cracked rear light

Video from Oulton Park to come soon, il post it once I've sorted it. Planning on taking it back out in August sometime if anything suitable comes up, so we'l see how it goes :boring:

Nice read as always. Jon said about your bump off track, but doesn't look that bad!

Impressed with the weight saving though. Would love to see this on track in the near future as well!

All I've removed is interior and the air-con setup so far really, im not so much chasing weight this time like on the Clio as there are far less parts to replace with lighter versions! Will have to see how it goes!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Brilliant work Jord, car looks really mean and track ready and undoubtedly hasn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Really admire how you do all this stuff with diff's etc and just take it in your stride, makes for great reading. Shame the bearing gave up though.

Yeah, I have a contact for part worn R888/Pilot Sport Cups/A048/Slicks in 17s so it makes sense. Probably end up with some M3 Sunflowers or some more of the 'standard' BBS splits at some point in the near future, these 5series 18s seem to shift well on eBay so shouldn't be too much hassle.

Dragging it to an RR day on Sunday to get a base figure/to see how much its lost in 15 years - something to work from then I guess.

330i. E30 Touring.
It'll put out more than 200bhp, i bet!

My 1995 328 touring ran 207bhp completely standard after 145k. Reliable rollerz too.

Correct size socket acquired and torqued the front hub torqued up to spec, it was at least half a turn down on what it should have been!

20120729_155039.jpg

New radiator cap purchased from BMW for £12. I did go raiding the scrap yards for a couple but then decided for the sake of how much they were I may aswell get a new one, keeping the others as spares...

20120729_155218.jpg

Then today as mentioned we had a bit of a RR day down at EFI-Parts (Scoffs place). I would have been happy with anything around stock power, but it seems Dave was right and it broke the 200hp barrier.

SCAN0007.jpg

116k engine, 100% standard bar removing the air-con setup. Good base to work from I guess!

Last edited by a moderator:
  53 Clio's & counting
Good going! I have lierally always wanted to do exactly what you have done with a 328, *off to PH....

Sounded great for a standard car!

7669226428_282c5b22c8_z.jpg

E36 by j0eyD, on Flickr

I imagine it's so much easier building a track car like this where you can just tow it home at the end of the day, and not have to compromise for MOT's etc.
Looking forward to progress!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Love it. My mates just reshelling his after a little rolling accident. Mightly fast/good track cars once prepped.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Yay - I'm always entertained reading your projects!

I was seriously thinking of taking this Meg out on track but it's costing me enough keeping it on the road!

Sounded great for a standard car!

7669226428_282c5b22c8_z.jpg

E36 by j0eyD, on Flickr

I imagine it's so much easier building a track car like this where you can just tow it home at the end of the day, and not have to compromise for MOT's etc.
Looking forward to progress!

Trailering really comes into its element when you end up breaking it at a track day and can easily get it home. Ive had so many problems over the years with breakdowns (Clio) at track days and mega hassle getting them home - trailering is so much easier. Also means there are no limits as to where you can take it/go with not having to worry about getting back! Downside is you have to buy a trailer, but you will never ever loose money on a trailer.

Love it. My mates just reshelling his after a little rolling accident. Mightly fast/good track cars once prepped.

Yeah, cant wait to drive it properly. I wish I had kept the E46 'quick' rack from the E30 and fitted it, but I stupidly sold it. Another job for the list in the future.

Yay - I'm always entertained reading your projects!

I was seriously thinking of taking this Meg out on track but it's costing me enough keeping it on the road!

As with anything, its always money money money!

Another bargin picked up tonight, some 17" Federal 595 RS-R tyres, 255 rears and 225 fronts. Obviously I need some 17" wheels for these to go on, so the 18s will be gone shortly. I wasnt planning on going down to 17s so soon, but the tyres were too much of a bargin to miss. Should be interesting to see what they are like on track, seem to be highly rated by most people.

20120801_214056.jpg

Im getting 8 x 17s and selling the 18s more than likely :)

4 x 17s with the Falkens on
4 x 17s with 'road' tyres on for when its wet, although I'm told the Falkens are not that bad in the wet anyway!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I've got a set of the Original BBS Wheels if your interested, going to CSS too if that helps!

I've got a set of the Original BBS Wheels if your interested, going to CSS too if that helps!

Thanks to Saner (and Jon.G for collecting them from CSS!) I got 3 more wheels to match the one that came with the car.

They are the 'standard' 328i sport wheels, BBS RC041. Rears are 8.5J, Fronts are 7.5J. As with all 041's they could do with splitting and refurbishing at some point, but im in no rush to do that as I just need to be able to use them for now.

Had the Falkens fitted to them today, the tyre widths are spot on.

IMG_20120807_185832.jpg

Then swapped them onto the car. Miles better fit, suspension may need adjusting slightly but I'l only know once I've driven it properly.

IMG_8782.jpg

IMG_8792.jpg

The 330i calipers JUST fit and clear the wheel weights thankfully..

IMG_8783.jpg

Couple of other bits to do over the next week so I'l update after those. Just another set of 17s to get and to sell the 18s now.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
It looks better on those wheels for a start!

Makes sense now aswell I saw Jon loading these into his car, I thought they were for his lol.