ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing Sub/Amp Help (Me and Mechanic Stumped!)

W

Willy

Hi

Will try keep this short :rasp:

My friend gave me his old Sony Amplifier and Sony Subwoofer. My friend fitted everything and we were not getting anything from the sub or amp.

We then tried his amp/sub and again, nothing. Hes a mechanic so he checked to make sure everything had power going to it, and the earth was good etc. everything looked great but still nothing. He got the leads that connect to l/r audio and put them against the metal on the amp so they buzzed and all the buzzing was coming out the back speakers, was odd. so we took the headunit out again and swapped the leads, checked everything, still the same problem!

I played around with the headunit, still nothing. Hes pretty much done everything we can think of. Hes going to try his headunit in my car tonight, so hopefully that will be the problem. Just thought id post to see if you have any ideas i can put forward.

My head unit is this : http://www.pioneer.de/it/products/archive/DEH-P2600R/index.html its really old.

Thanks

W

Willy

Nope. Because my amp is pretty old. But my friends does so we know there is power going to it.

W

Willy

and his isnt powering up the sub either?

Everythings getting power but nothing is working :(

maby ur RCA on ur HU is knackered

Yeah, testing his tonight so hopefully i'll just get a new one and all will be a okay

Fuse?

Chances are it will be the earth imo, normally the one that gets me caught out.

Checked the fuse, its all good. Earth is fine, he had some special tool to check but we may try another spot. :approve:

Ta so far ;)

Titanium 182
if its powering up it wont be your earth . either uv got dead RCA ports or mabe there is a setting on the HU to turn the sub on>?

W

Willy

if its powering up it wont be your earth . either uv got dead RCA ports or mabe there is a setting on the HU to turn the sub on>?

Yeah thats pretty much what we think too. Spent ages tinkering around with the HU and a quick google but cant find anything on it.

2002 Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
check the leads behind the sub cone ( in the box) are conected to the ports on the box (rca leads). this is a problem i had cos i dis connected them to replace the sub but forgot about it .

Ph 1 172
i aint been stupid or anything but have you got the RCA's the right way around i usually find ive done something retarded

W

Willy

have you tried yours in someone elses car?

Nope, but trying a mates headunit tonight. guess this could be another option though. Although as i said, everythings got power going to it, hmm

1.2 Dynamique billabong
have you checked the following

the levels on the amp like gain etc arent all turned right down/off

check the remote lead running from the the headunit to the amp

check the RCA cable in the headunit and amp

check the headunit settings that sub woofer has been enabled

check the earth, a good place is to use the earthing points for the rear lights

check the amp power cable fuse

make sure you run the power cable to the amp down one side of the car and the RCA cables and remote lead down the other

W

Willy

have you checked the following

the levels on the amp like gain etc arent all turned right down/off

Yep.

check the remote lead running from the the headunit to the amp

Yeppo

check the RCA cable in the headunit and amp

yeppo

check the headunit settings that sub woofer has been enabled

my headunit is old old so not too sure, i posted the manual link but i couldnt see anything.

check the earth, a good place is to use the earthing points for the rear lights

Yep thats were its earthed :approve:

check the amp power cable fuse

Yep checked

make sure you run the power cable to the amp down one side of the car and the RCA cables and remote lead down the other

Yep, we made sure of that too. Thanks for your info! :D

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
try putting a wire from the positive part of the amp ( were the wire screws in ) and touch it onto the remote part of the amp that simulates a ignition live . if the amp then lights up you know its a fault with either the head unit or the remote lead. if it is the head unit that is it fault then you can take a feed by splicing into the ignition live for the headunit which should be the red wire (the yellow is 12v constantly live ) ( and black is earth)