ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

installing a sub?

trophy clio 424/500
hi there everyone just wondering how hard it will be to run the leads to the boot thats are needed for having a sub? meaning the trim does it come off and on easy???:S

Arctic Blue 182
yes and yes. Remove the door sills around the bottom of the door and poke your wire under the plastic. You may have to lift the plastic a bit.

Im sure you will work it out!

Yeah, really easy. Hardest bit for me was getting the wires up the back of the dash to the headunit.

Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Only thing i found difficult was gettin the power cable threw the bonnet release grommit in the dash.

Fingers were in bits after!

Golf GTD Mk7
why did you run it up there?

Also, why would you put a sub in a trophY? Supposed to keep these things light ;)

53 Renault clio 1.2 16V
Don't know if you done it yet fella but i done what the first guy said and as for that power cable getting it through is an absoloute asshole the grommet but it can be done and getting the wires in the dash use a metal coat hanger i found that quite easy personally but then again depends on the type i guess good luck with it mate.

If you are really stuggling you can pull the carpet up in the passenger foot well drill a hole, put your cable through and seal the edges with silicone, my mate did it in his old fiesta because it was a b!tch running his cable through to the battery.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
^ Will, you can just put it under the lower plastic running by the door, easy for you to push the cable under in a Clio.

I'm still struggling with the power cable myself, is it ok to peirce a small hole in the bonnet release grommit without damaging anything necessary?

1.2 Clio
Well you need to put loads of silicone around it as if that cable plastic wears by movement and the bare cable touches the chassis, if you have it fused properly you will have a blown fuse and a new cable needed. If you havent fused it properly then you will have a nice fire!

1.2 Clio
Regardless, it should be grommeted or at a bare minimum siliconed.
Best bet is to remove the cable and drill out a larger hole and fire a grommet in there... it's your choice. But no pro would leave it as is.:dapprove:

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
been in there for a year now not had a single problem with it, and i check it when i clean my car.

1.2 Clio
Ok. I was just saying. It's not at all good procedure. Doesn't bother me if you catch fire or not... I just don't want others doing the same, thinking "oh a year on it will be fine".

^ Will, you can just put it under the lower plastic running by the door, easy for you to push the cable under in a Clio.

I'm still struggling with the power cable myself, is it ok to peirce a small hole in the bonnet release grommit without damaging anything necessary?

It will probally be fine to put a small whole in that gromit and just push the cable through. The grommit is there to keep it water tight so you don't get an water coming behind the dash, just make sure it is a small whole and the cable fits snug, might be worth putting a small amount of silcone around if you are not sure or make the whole to big.

vaux cavalier
Grommets are fitted to prevent water ingress & to protect the cable from chaffing....

Saying a cable doesn't move proves nothing, each & every shock through the car will cause some movement of each item, (cable & bulkhead), it only takes small amounts of vibration to effectively saw through the cables protective outer sheath....Whether it takes 12 months or a few hours is also a mute point, the fact it could happen is enough to promote all car manufacturers to use grommets inside & outside your car....

As stated a correctly fused cable is basically safeguarded against a dead short, however the same cable suffering a bad connection could easily promote enough heat to effectively melt its outer sheath without blowing its fuse, (this can also happen with short circuits), and Mr Insurance Claims Adjuster will love Bad Wiring practices....

If you wish to wire your car as a cowboy would then thats fine, but to advise third parties to follow suit is a tad irresponsible....Unless your prepared to cover any costs incurred in the event of fire....

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
If you wish to wire your car as a cowboy would then thats fine, but to advise third parties to follow suit is a tad irresponsible....Unless your prepared to cover any costs incurred in the event of fire....
i didnt say to anyone to go and do it, i just said that is the way i have done it

vaux cavalier
i just drilled a hole in the firewall and put the wire through

didnt put a grommet in the firewall as the hole was just big enough to fit the wire through

wire doesnt move and its properly fused

been in there for a year now not had a single problem with it, and i check it when i clean my car.

i didnt say to anyone to go and do it, i just said that is the way i have done it

^^Fair Point^^

You haven't recommended it to be done this way.

So why bother posting how you did it????

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
a few people said how they did it so i did my 2p's worth, and in relation to the wire getting moved about with shocks etc.. i do 40-50miles every night on bumpy country roads and it doesnt move, and you have to pull it quite hard to get it to move a small amount. i dont want to have a arguement about the whole wiring thing, if you want to do it properly just get some silicone or a gromit.

vaux cavalier
a few people said how they did it so i did my 2p's worth, and in relation to the wire getting moved about with shocks etc.. i do 40-50miles every night on bumpy country roads and it doesnt move, and you have to pull it quite hard to get it to move a small amount. i dont want to have a arguement about the whole wiring thing, if you want to do it properly just get some silicone or a gromit.

No worries mate, just trying to help....

Obviously I can't state yours is dangerous or not, I haven't actually seen it....If your happy, then what I think doesn't really matter....

172 cup
Yeah, really easy. Hardest bit for me was getting the wires up the back of the dash to the headunit.

it's much easier to feed the cable through from the top and pull it through and down as you can see where it needs to go and when you look up under the dash you'll see it hanging down, work with gravity not against.

power cable will feed through grommit easier if you pop it out first