ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Information About Clio

Hello everyone i am pretty new to this Forum. I am looking at buying a Renault Clio in around 2 or 3 months (currently saving). I am going to be getting either a clio I or a clio II but more than likely a clio II. I will be going for a small engine (1200cc or 1400cc) to start with and more than likely do a conversion etc. Anyways are the 172, 182 etc straight fits into the bay as im sure there is a clio II 172 version. Also what are the 1400cc 16v engines like, do they respond well to tuning, what sort of power can be had from there. My aim will be anything around 120 bhp or more. So if it is possible to get the 1400cc upto that power i will go that route. That is only if it is possible, if not i will go down the 172 route etc. Also what sort of power can be had out of the 172 in N/A form.

Any information you guys can give me i will much appreciate it, and i will more than likely have more questions down the line.

Cheers

S4 Avant
A lot of people will tell you it's pointless tuning the smaller engines. The 2 litre engine from the 1*2s drops straight in, and without spending £2.5K you won't get more than 4bhp out of them.

A lot of people will tell you it's pointless tuning the smaller engines. The 2 litre engine from the 1*2s drops straight in, and without spending £2.5K you won't get more than 4bhp out of them.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yehh most people will say its pointless i am expecting it. But just need the info about it. When you say £2.5k you dont mean the 2 litre engines do you. There is a 1.8 16v engine also from the clio I aint there, does that also drop straight in. Just trying to get as much info as possible before hand

Thanks

Stripped yozza'd cup
The 2litre drops straight in.

Tuning the 1.4 will cost you more than doing the conversion, so what's the point?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The 2litre drops straight in.

Tuning the 1.4 will cost you more than doing the conversion, so what's the point?

And you only have to read what vicky posted today to realise it will be a pita to insure. So just buy a 2.0l.

Last edited:
Ahh ritee just to be different thats all. I come from the vauxhall scene and i have had all types of engines from 1.4 16v upto the 2.0 16v and i previously tuned my 1.4 16v upto 120 bhp and it did not cost all that much. Thats my basis for why im looking for anything around or above 120 bhp. I know it can be done on them i just want to know if it can be done with the renault engines etc

Stripped yozza'd cup
Ahh ritee just to be different thats all. I come from the vauxhall scene and i have had all types of engines from 1.4 16v upto the 2.0 16v and i previously tuned my 1.4 16v upto 120 bhp and it did not cost all that much. Thats my basis for why im looking for anything around or above 120 bhp. I know it can be done on them i just want to know if it can be done with the renault engines etc

There's no doubt it can be done. But you can pick up a 2litre lump for ~ £750 and you've a lot more than 120hp then...

But it will cost you more to insure a conversion than it will an actual 1*2

S4 Avant
The other point worth noting, is that have you had it proven to you that you've tuned it up to 120bhp ;)

Filter and exhaust doesn't generically give 15bhp.

If it has been rolling roaded before and after though, ignore above statement.

Stripped yozza'd cup
^^^^ I was going to say this.

Take a lot of work to get 120brake out of a 1.4 vauxhall....what are they standard 80/85??

Black Gold Trophy
About 90bhp, if it was an X14XE engine, however they are very tunable engines, they were deliberately detuned by vauxhall in order to make the less efficient larger engines seem more powerful!
A modified plenum alone will give 15-20bhp on those engines.

Again I would reiterate what the guys above have said and just go for a 172/182 if you want two litre performance

white 172
my mate from migweb has a x16xe in his nova rolling road proved pushing 183bhp spent near 13k mind you but its defanitly do able

Yes proven 120 bhp, and it was the X14XE engine. I made a power box inlet for it myself, they sell for around £200 but i made it for around £5 at cost of the sheet steel. It also had a touch higher compression, 4 branch manifold along with system. As mentioned they are very tunable engines.

I know insurance will go up etc but im not concerned about that unless its through the roof, what are the 172 lumps like, do they perform well, are they reliable etc. How do they compare to the 2.0 16v redtop vauxhall engines. When i had this engine in my corsa is was rapid and very powerfull from anywhere in the range. I know the 172 is around 172 bhp but what are the torque levels on these engines ??