ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction kits on mk2 172

Ford Focus 1.4 LX

Just had a long conversation with Mark Fish from Mark Fish Motorsport about induction kits.

The main problem with the 172 is that is is very difficult to get cool air into the engine. If you use an induction kit (cone filter), then it is going to suck in warm air and you will lose performance. You can try things like cold air feeds from the front grille/bumper somewhere but you have the problem of making sure that water does not get to the filter element, and also that the airflow is constant. Also, it can be seen that over 200 quid is alot of money for a small bhp increase.

Mark advised to stick with the standard airbox, and the standard element. Replacement ones are ok, but as they allow more air through, they filter out less potentially dangerous particles and in an engine of this sort, that can reduce its lifespan.

So there we have it !

Dave

I also had an almost identical conversation with him sometime last year. In the in end I had a BMC induction kit fitted. No problems so far - touch wood

The Viper should hopefully give you more BHP & Torque. Try and run a pipe from it to an air scoop behind the grill.

Ford Focus 1.4 LX

Thats what i was hoping !! Apparelty there is a silicone hose supplied with the kit, but finding somewhere behind the grille will be tricky as the radiator is so fekkin massive theres not much space !