ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction kit for 1.4

I'm looking at getting an induction kit for my mk2 clio 1.4rt. I know it won't improve performance much, if at all but just after a better sound. Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the piper and K&N ones? Thanks

1.6 16v clio priv
This s a really "bodge it" answer but if your just after the sound just drill a couple of holes in the airbox. BEFORE the filter of course.

This will likely lower the power slightly due to warm air from the engine bay getting into the intake but it will sound good. Did this with my old 1.4 RT before getting a proper induction kit. Sounded very beefy. Just dont go mad with the holes, it will sound much louder driving than testing it on your drive with no load so go a short run after a couple of holes,

Okay cheers mate, may give that a try. Is there much else people do to tastefully modify the non-sport models? 172 wheels and possibly lowering I suppose?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
172/182 wheels, lowering (rokkor/raceland coilovers are the cheapest option), 172 rear bumper, cup spoiler... maybe de wiper.

check the non sport thread out... youll get some ideas from it :)

1.6 16v clio priv
For a start mine is a 1.6 16v 2001
Well so far I've done a nice set of alloy wheels. Mine are TSW Freeze. They are slightly wider than the stock wheels 185 --> 190 I think. The extra rubber made a big difference to grip although I did switch to sport compound tyres at the same time so I would imagine that helps. Dont go for too big a jump like 185 ...> 205 . I've heard going too wide can adversely affect the handling and you may have issues steering due to the size

I've also lowered by 30mm, springs and dampers. Glad I didnt go any lower since my car is primarily a road car and even at this its a very hard ride. I wouldnt go lower unless your intending on primarily track use. I do just scrape the odd speedbump too so bear that in mind if you lower it.

I also have bucket seats. If you get these pay the extra and get the made to fit mounting instead of the universal mounting. "Universal mounting" actually means "Fits almost no cars and you will need to spend days drilling holes and modifying mountings". I got universal mounts first and they made the seat higher than the originals and further forward. Also my seats seem chunkier than the originals so since I'm tall and have the seat all the way back there's even less room than before for passengers. Just something to bear in mind if your tall.

I'd also go for a spoiler if you dont have one already. Personally I prefer the sort that look similar to the RS one but slightly bigger, just enough to make your car look different but not so big it stands out.

I'd also go for an induction kit but the cheap ones will do nothing anyway. Although saying that with small engines even a great one wont do much. I quite like the one I was shown at Hill Power some time ago. Has a cold air feed and he'll tune it to give the sound you want.

I'd also go for an exhaust when funds allow but personally I wouldnt go for an RS look exhaust. I'm not partial to the "Sheep in Wolfs Clothing" look

Yeah think I'm definitely going to get some alloys and an induction kit. I would like to do all of the above but since mine is only a 1.4 with 75hp I don't really see the point! I would like to get more power out of the car but from what I've heard this isnt easy unless you spunk loads of money on it. I haven't actually picked up the car yet but I'm hoping it feels a little quicker than what I had before (mk2 golf 1.3), about the slowest car possible! Thanks for the ideas :D