ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction Air Feed for 197

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
nah theres a few who stayed here after 'upgrading' from 1*2's
just not as much modding of them on here.

Any1 managed to get a cold air feed from the front bumper on the 197

The induction point on our SE X85's is on the front bumper of the car - depending on the aero package its either just above the front splitter or between the grills on the flat of the bumper itself.

The rad is relocated 110mm over from its standard position to allow for this feed, oil cooler hoses etc. etc.

Cheers
M

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
The induction point on our SE X85's is on the front bumper of the car - depending on the aero package its either just above the front splitter or between the grills on the flat of the bumper itself.

The rad is relocated 110mm over from its standard position to allow for this feed, oil cooler hoses etc. etc.

Cheers
M

You sound like you know your shizzle!

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Thats cus he does. This man has a wealth of knowledge like no one else i have ever spoken to!!
Nice on Icarus

To make it media friendly here's a pic of the 2008 Spec engine in the BPM owned/run X85.

dcg9lg.jpg

Cheers
M

Most of the inner arch on that side of the car has been removed which provides ample airflow for the filter. Inlet temps when the car is at speed are circa ambient.

The 2009 spec has as sealed carbon fibre airbox which is fed from the nose of the car in order to improve efficency and minimise pressure drop over the filter.

Cheers
M

see, other advantage is no fog lights on the racers

That has no bearing on engine induction though as it is not possible to create a simple, large and straight enough route from the fog to the area of the bay used to package the filter/induction into for it to be of any advantage. Also the Fogs are used for brake cooling ducts and as such one would then have to engineer another solution for brake cooling.

We hack quite a lot of metal out of the race car inner wings, this isn't possible on the road cars so you don't even get a 'second hand' ambient air supply benefit from using the fog lights for brake cooling as you do on the race cars.

Cheers
M

There isn't really a boot - that area holds an additional 60L ATL Fuel Cell.

The battery is as per as standard X85 i.e. in rear of the passenger footwell.

Cheers
M

icarus that induction set up looks fantastic! Where would someone source such a thing? Not that I am going to be doing it anytime soon

icarus that induction set up looks fantastic! Where would someone source such a thing? Not that I am going to be doing it anytime soon

It's all made from Renault components, although some we had modified in house. The airbox is a standard Clio Cup/Megane Trophy airbox which we have modified to run as an exposed flat panel filter airbox due to issues with feeding an enclosed box effectively - on the standard X85 Cups the airbox/rear of the headlight assembly actualy forms a stealth inlet air restrictor.

The airbox sits on a steel plate which in turn mounts to the engine mount and the inner wing. Unlike a standard Clio Cup the gearbox breather on the BPM built SE X85s does not recirc into the airbox but rather has its own catch tank assembly.

The air filter itself is just an off the shelf flat panel green cotton filter.

The new airbox setup is based around an ITG AB80 WTCC airbox and is fed from the nose of the car.

Cheers
M

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
It's all made from Renault components, although some we had modified in house. The airbox is a standard Clio Cup/Megane Trophy airbox which we have modified to run as an exposed flat panel filter airbox due to issues with feeding an enclosed box effectively - on the standard X85 Cups the airbox/rear of the headlight assembly actualy forms a stealth inlet air restrictor.

The airbox sits on a steel plate which in turn mounts to the engine mount and the inner wing. Unlike a standard Clio Cup the gearbox breather on the BPM built SE X85s does not recirc into the airbox but rather has its own catch tank assembly.

The air filter itself is just an off the shelf flat panel green cotton filter.

The new airbox setup is based around an ITG AB80 WTCC airbox and is fed from the nose of the car.

Cheers
M

Can ya make us one?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Race car only. On the road car you will need to move your battery and various other bits, lose the aircon and budge the rad over 110mm/take the angle grinder to your inner wing.

Cheers
M

You lost me after the battery.

I'll get a panel filter!

Race car only. On the road car you will need to move your battery and various other bits, lose the aircon and budge the rad over 110mm/take the angle grinder to your inner wing.

Cheers
M

What would be the best option for a road car then? With and without relocating the battery?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not to bother. The standard set up is fine, all aftermarkets i've read up on seem to make the car laggy etc. Only thing ive done is removed the accoustic valve at the end of one of the intakes.

do they actually run it like that?
what an epic way to loose performance :rolleyes:

How many induction/filtration systems have you designed and how many 1000's of KM's experience do you have with X85's then? That particular car has over 5 grands worth of electronics which are logging data from the engine package at upto 1000hz sample rate, ambient air temperature, airbox temperature and charge air temperature are all within a couple of degrees of each other, airbox pressure is constant and as close to baro as you'll get. No problem with that at all - the entire wheel arch is open next to it providing more 'cold air' than one would ever need.

Thats without even getting into the advantages of having it back in the bay aware from the crush/crumple zones that are all to likely to take some impacts in a 24 hour race.

To give you some idea we record accelerative G 100 times a second, mixing this with a few other logged values and some known constants allows us to calculate BHP. The car was producing exactly the same BHP at hour 23 of the 2008 Britcar 24hr as it was at Hour 2.4. That airbox design produces 2.1bhp more on average on that car than a standard Clio Cup airbox installation and thats not a guestimate or a single dyno run thats the average increase over 3200KM's with that airbox vs 2130KM's with a standard Clio Cup airbox. The standard airbox inlet is 27mm away from the back of the main beam headlight cover in order to act as an inlet air restrictor.

Oh and for that record that car and BPM Racing - P1 in the under 2000CC Class at the Britcar 24hour and highest points scorers in the Britcar Production Championship.

I think you're confusing a none optimised design with a less than ideal design!

Cheers
M

Gaz, there is a part that needs leaving in place isnt there?

Acoustic valve on the road car to avoid a CEL. No problem making a plug in module that will avoid lighting the CEL without the valve actualy being there.

We've thought about doing an aftermarket setup but in order to gain anything decent on the road car you need to move the battery. Total kit price would be getting on for a grand once all done so no one would buy it!

Cheers
M

It's just a fact. That setup pictured will draw hot air off the rad. Never ideal.

Doesn't! Got 630GB of data here if you want to go through it all and try and find a spot where the inlet charge temp is anymore than 2 degrees above ambient when the car is racing. The rad in cars built to my spec is 110mm further across the bay than standard.

Cheers
M

ValverInBits
How many induction/filtration systems have you designed and how many 1000's of KM's experience do you have with X85's then? That particular car has over 5 grands worth of electronics which are logging data from the engine package at upto 1000hz sample rate, ambient air temperature, airbox temperature and charge air temperature are all within a couple of degrees of each other, airbox pressure is constant and as close to baro as you'll get. No problem with that at all - the entire wheel arch is open next to it providing more 'cold air' than one would ever need.

Thats without even getting into the advantages of having it back in the bay aware from the crush/crumple zones that are all to likely to take some impacts in a 24 hour race.

To give you some idea we record accelerative G 100 times a second, mixing this with a few other logged values and some known constants allows us to calculate BHP. The car was producing exactly the same BHP at hour 23 of the 2008 Britcar 24hr as it was at Hour 2.4. That airbox design produces 2.1bhp more on average on that car than a standard Clio Cup airbox installation and thats not a guestimate or a single dyno run thats the average increase over 3200KM's with that airbox vs 2130KM's with a standard Clio Cup airbox. The standard airbox inlet is 27mm away from the back of the main beam headlight cover in order to act as an inlet air restrictor.

Oh and for that record that car and BPM Racing - P1 in the under 2000CC Class at the Britcar 24hour and highest points scorers in the Britcar Production Championship.

I think you're confusing a none optimised design with a less than ideal design!

Cheers
M

The fact that it makes X amount more power than the standard setup doesent say anything about the air inlet temps, or the optimisation of this particular design. It just seems completely stupid to put a big open IK there. Are you sure there isnt a piece missing and it has a proper cold air feed sorted? IMO a better solution would look similar to the DC5 IKs that have a caf mounted at the top of the bonnet.

The fact that it makes X amount more power than the standard setup doesent say anything about the air inlet temps, or the optimisation of this particular design. It just seems completely stupid to put a big open IK there. Are you sure there isnt a piece missing and it has a proper cold air feed sorted? IMO a better solution would look similar to the DC5 IKs that have a caf mounted at the top of the bonnet.

Did you miss the part of my post above where I explained the car has 5 large of MM Motorsport logging which records air temperatures at 3 different locations at upto 1000hz?

If you mean picking up an induction point on the scuttle panel then thats fine until the car in front sprays gravel over the car. If you mean on the bonnet skin itself then there is no accesible flow there without using a big drag inducing scoop with the same issues as picking up from the scuttle.

The induction point for that airbox is in the wheelarch. When at speed this is an extremely high pressure zone and using this region to provide ambient airflow into the engine bay is extensively tested.

2009 induction/filtration spec is changing as part of a package of optimisations and is picking up from the splitter or front bumper skin depending on what aero package is being run in order to aid airbox filling and minimise losses and mainly to ensure that the car spec is noise legal for the ever tightening regs imposed on 24 hour races.

Cheers
M

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Acoustic valve on the road car to avoid a CEL. No problem making a plug in module that will avoid lighting the CEL without the valve actualy being there.

We've thought about doing an aftermarket setup but in order to gain anything decent on the road car you need to move the battery. Total kit price would be getting on for a grand once all done so no one would buy it!

Cheers
M

CEL? Mines in the shed. I'm sure i just unplugged the valve, plugged up the vac pipe which leads to the inlet. Was a long time ago, i'll look tomorrow :)

I've often thought a gruppe M type filter that the Ep3 CTR's have fitted could work well on the 197. With the inlet facing the rear of the bay, it could go straight into the side of the filter box filter, then pic up from the scuttle..... Less bends = less restriction?

IMG_0156.jpg

Last edited:
CEL? Mines in the shed. I'm sure i just unplugged the valve, plugged up the vac pipe which leads to the inlet. Was a long time ago, i'll look tomorrow :)

I've often thought a gruppe M type filter that the Ep3 CTR's have fitted could work well on the 197. With the inlet facing the rear of the bay, it could go straight into the filter, then pic up from the scuttle..... Less bends = less restriction?

It'll CEL eventualy ;)........ or rather it should!

Standard induction on the road car for circa 200bhp is fine. No need to worry about it. Stick an ITG in if you want to but aside from that there's no point playing.

Less bends = less restriction is a good rule to work from but it also depends on the severity, size and angle of the bends. Scuttle panel induction point really needs measuring as well to ensure you are actualy picking up from a high pressure zone.

Cheers
M

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
CEL? :eek:

You mean fault indication? Well mine hasnt for over a year, and the 172 and 182 never did either? I'm sure i just taped up the multiplug.... :eek: Anyhow, i'm happy with regular paper filter changes, anything else is noise and £££ down the drain :)