ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Increasing fuel consumption

Clio sport 172
Its only in the last week that its happened, but the 172s fuel consumption has gone wild, the on board computer says that its doing 30mpg but the but I loose 1 division of fuel over 14 miles. There is no engine light on, there is no fuel smell, and the coolant temperature sensor appears to be reading correctly.

Ive had the coil pack checked
New plugs
leads checked
change the map sensor, and the other one the other side (not sure what its doing)

Ive heard that I could swap the lambda after the cat with the one before, what would that achieve?

PH2 172
Its only in the last week that its happened, but the 172s fuel consumption has gone wild, the on board computer says that its doing 30mpg but the but I loose 1 division of fuel over 14 miles. There is no engine light on, there is no fuel smell, and the coolant temperature sensor appears to be reading correctly.

Ive had the coil pack checked
New plugs
leads checked
change the map sensor, and the other one the other side (not sure what its doing)

Ive heard that I could swap the lambda after the cat with the one before, what would that achieve?

Winters coming,overnight temperatures are getting lower,and it takes longer for your engine to warm up & the cold start enrichment stays on longer.
Is this is a daily journey to work,if so,how many miles is it?

PH2 172
my commute is 30 miles, but it was tested on my way to Felixstowe approx. 45 miles from me
All I can say is brim the tank,do 90 miles of your every day driving,then brim it again.
Divide the litres you put in by 4.4 which will give you gallons,and divide the miles by the gallons,which give a true mpg.
My trip computer,which I think is pretty accurate shows anything between 24 mpg on short (3 mile)round town cold start journeys to 46 mpg on motorway runs.
I got 210 miles from £25 of V-power @ 1.14 per litre today,90% of it on motorways,with an average speed of 49 mph,which included being backed up from the M11 to get into North Weald,and the usual stop/start on the M25 between A30- M40,with a bit to spare,so it`s quite accurate.
Sometimes £10 will not last 50 miles.
Do the above to get your true mpg before you worry about what your fuel guage is telling you.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Don't divide it by 4.4 as that's the wrong number. If you're going to do it, do it right.

1 Gallon = 4.546 litres