ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In Scarborough (Area) this weekend.. can anyone help?!

Skoda Octavia VRs
Is there anyone in Scarborough, or in the surrounding area, who may be able to help me out this weekend?.

I drove down from the North of Scotland late on Thursday Evening in my '54 Plate Clio 182, and noticed that my OSF Brake Disc was running VERY hot. The car's braking really wasn't great, and I ended up stopping to let the disc cool down for a bit on a few occasions before 'carefully' continuing.

I am down in Scarborough for the weekend, but need to head home on Monday during the day / evening.

It may just be that the Brake Pads are binding against the disc, or in the caliper, but I have no real way of carrying out any work to the car other than taking the wheel off and having a look around.
Are there any Mechanics / Handy Amateurs in the area who would be willing to have a look at this on a 'homer / casher' over the weekend for me?.. It would be a HUGE help, and would be very much appreciated!

I won't really have much of a chance to get onto the internet, other than on my Mobile Phone. If anyone can help, if you could give me a call on 07545-760439 it would be much appreciated.

A big thanks in advance for anyone who may be able to help me out with this matter, obviously I am a bit wary of the long journey home with an 'ailing 182'!

Thanks,
Gav

Skoda Octavia VRs
Stripped the 'offending' caliper down (after buying some tools, and using the Renault scissors Jack from the Boot Kit.. on a bit of a slope at the time too!).. and found one of my Greenstuff Pads had basically disintegrated!.
Might have been due to binding onto the Brake Disc causing the pad to overheat and crack.. OR it might have been the Pad cracking that was causing the binding in the first place!..

Anyways, time for some new Pads / Discs on the front, was thinking about having a go at the EBC Redstuffs?, a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about the Ferodo DS2500's, but they are a HELLUVA lot of money!..

Prepare for some 'horror' photos if I can get them uploaded to the thread!
Cheers,
Gav

Attachments

• DSC_0513A.JPG
    DSC_0513A.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0523A.JPG
    DSC_0523A.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0525A.JPG
    DSC_0525A.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 64
  Megane 225
That looks nasty! Did you check the caliper to make sure the piston move freely? The ferrodo pads are good, but are more for track use than normal driving. I set of standard ferrodo pads from a local motorfactors will be great for normal driving, and should be overly expensive!

Skoda Octavia VRs
The Piston actually tracked back into the Caliper quite well, I only had a limited amount of tools, so only really cleaned up the Caliper as much as I could to get everything 'moving' again so I could get back up North on Monday..
The Pads seemed to be stuck hard against the thin Shim Plates at the Top & Bottom edges of the Pad / Caliper, so I took them out for the time being, gave everything a good clean and grease-up, and I'll venture back in there again this weekend to have a PROPER go at everything!.. New Cat-Back Exhaust System last week, Front Discs and Pads this week.. it is going to be a VERY tight month!.
Thanks for your advice re: Ferodo Pads, it is much appreciated!
Gav