ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Importance of trackday oil?

Evo
I've recently done an oil change and used Fuchs supersyn 5w-40, fully sythetic oil but their cheapest line.

Plans have changed and I've now decided I want to do a few trackdays over winter, car is standard power and won't be revved over 7k.

Is it a safe idea to replace oil with something like Fuchs Titan pro race or another similar competition based oil or will my cheaper alternative offer enough protection throughout the stresses of a mild trackday?

Evo
I've heard rumours that the Halfords fully syn stuff is actually rebranded from some very good oil ( Fuchs or comma etc ).

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You should be fine on 'regular' fully synth oil, just change it often and you'll be laughing.

Evo
What's considered regular for occassional track use, 6k?

The Evo gets done every 2k and it's only driven to shows and back lol

Listerine & Poledo
How occasional is occasional?

The Clio lump is nowhere near as much of a prissy b**ch as the mitsubishi one.

6k is a lot of track mileage...

Oil is cheap enough. I'd personally drain it every couple of thousand miles or after 4 track days or something. Will depend entirely on how the car is used between.

The Clio lump is nowhere near as much of a prissy b**ch as the mitsubishi one.

I always laugh when I see what Mitsubishi specify for Evo engines, and then read on hatchback forums what brands people dislike.

Evo
Occassional trackday once every couple months. I've always considered one track mile to ten road miles when adjusting service intervals.

Yes Evo intervals are silly really considering the Megane 265 can punch out similar power and has an interval of 12k? And they say French tin is crap!?

Just dont do huge track stints, 10 laps and a break or whatever and it will probably be fine. Its heat that kills both the oil and as a result the engine.

Evo
I've never seen oil temps on trackdays an issue with non turbo'd cars unless your revving at VTEC levels.

Obviously cheaper to replace oil than fit an oil temp gauge, what sort of temp limits are there between the cheap and expensive stuff?