ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

immobiliser issue, please help!!

BurrrgundyPh1 banger
Hey guys, having a problem with my immobiliser on my mk2Ph1 clio 1.4 8v Alize '99. had an intermittent problem with it for a while but i discovered i could get round this by holding the key button down, but just recently this has stopped working and the car is immobilised comepletely.

ive read pretty much every single thread i can find on this and none of the solutions seem to work, ive tried disconnecting the battery with the key in, ive tried the override codes (but i cant enter them because the light just flashes quickly and does not slow down as its supposed to apparently), ive tried resetting the key. pretty much everything you can find on the internet, ive tried it.

although recently ive noticed that the sunroof is leaking and shortly after i noticed this is when the problem occurred, ive been told that infront of the sunroof under the arial is where the immob sensor board or something is but i cannot find it...

If your not asleep after reading all that bumff, in short what im asking is, does anyone have any ideas on turning the immobiliser off, getting round it, disabling it etc, or can anyone give me an idea of where to find this board that supposedly has something to do with the immobiliser so i can see if it is damaged

thanks in advance for any advice, please help

BurrrgundyPh1 banger
no sorry i forgot to mention that, no it doesnt, but that happened before the immob issue, i changed the battery but that didnt help either.

A ANIMAL
I think the Mk2's (it was defo the case for the Mk1) HAD to be unlocked by the key fob, or the immobiliser wouldn't disarm. if the reciever for the immobiliser is in the roof, i would guess the leak has knackered the board and will need replacling.

BurrrgundyPh1 banger
thats what i thought which is why i was confused when the fob stopped working but the immobiliser was fine, replaced batter C/locking still didnt work but the immobiliser did, ive been living without C/locking for about a month now but ive only just started getting the immobiliser problems about a week ago. tried a few things to reprogramme the key but still nothing works cant understand it, but i think my only option now is to find this board and look at it, im just unsure on where exactly it is and how to get to it :(

172 Race Car
Yours will have a chipped key so it doesnt matter if there is a bettery in the key fob. Have you tried/do you own a spare key?

is the red led on the speedo flashing when it wont start?

BurrrgundyPh1 banger
i dont own a spare key unfortunately

the red light on the speedo has a slow flash with ignition off, ignition on faster flash

lrj

Clio II Ph1 1.4 16v
I've looked in the Haynes manual for Mk2 Ph1s and can't see anything round by the aerial related to the immobiliser. The receiver for the infrared central locking is there though. Central locking on Clio II Ph1s uses infrared or radio waves. Do you know which yours uses?

From what I can remember when mine refused to start, there's a decoder ring around the ignition, which picks up the code on the key. If the code on the key matches the code programmed in the multi-timer unit of the car, the immobiliser is disarmed and the engine starts.

The slow flashing immobiliser light means it is armed. When you turn the ignition on, the immobiliser light goes solid for a few seconds. If it changes to flashing quickly and continuously, the key hasn't been recognised. If it goes out, it has.

I was told by a Renault technician to try starting the ignition whilst holding the button on the key in, I think because the circuit board in the key can develop small cracks, which breaks the circuit and stops the code from being read. Holding the button bends the board just enough for it to work. Both of my keys needed that doing and always worked when holding the button in.

I am able to start mine without unlocking it remotely. I don't think whether it was unlocked remotely or by the key in the door would make a difference, as until the key is in the ignition and has been recognised, the immobiliser is still armed because the light still flashes every few seconds.

What was the intermittent problem you were having before?

BurrrgundyPh1 banger
The intermittent problem before was that the immobiliser would kick in randomly, sometimes it would go off first time and others it could take 5-10 maybe more turns of they key to get the immobiliser off, this is when I figured out that holding the button on the key would turn the immob off immediately firs time every time, but that's stopped working now and it's not the key battery because I changed that out straightaway, taken it to my mechanic friend today anyway he's gna have a look Monday, thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated :)