ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac 27" should I or shouldn't I?

Tangoed Works
Have to say, i have had my 21.5" 1tb model for a couple of months now and it is just awesome.

Did look at the 27" but only have a small place at the moment so it would have been over kill. Student discount rocks as well.

So easy to use and FCP editing and CS4 work is just a joy. Hate having to use a windows based lappy for work.

182 Cup
Was looking at these again yesterday, I find it hard to imagine using the 27 inch as a computer, its just too big to sit in front of is it not?

I'd love an iMac but I'd always spend that kind of money on gaming PCs. My shed rolls on 26" anyway, so still monstrously impressive impact for games playing. I'd prefer an iMac if I wasn't a PC gaming *****, though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well I have to say, it's a very impressive piece of kit. My sister-in-law went for the i5 version instead as the Apple Store stressed that for her needs an i7 one would be total overkill. I read that as "we have shitloads of the i5's in stock but are awaiting the i7's with no ETA". Cynical? Me? ;)

Anyways, it is a top quality item. Super quiet (given the decent amount of kit running behind the screen) and very easy to use. It felt like a jacked-up Macbook, which I guess it pretty much is. I even got used to the Magic Mouse - even though I'm not a fan of wireless stuff.

The only slight issue we came across was the lack of the old style Firewire-400 port on the back of the iMac. It came with several USB connections and a Firewire-800, but the external drive with backed up files on, only had a USB and Firewire-400 connector on it.

Nothing major, as I suspect most Mac owners have long since made the switch to 800. But its something to bare in mind.

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've yet to see a piece of hardware that has come across my path which actually uses 'FireWire' a waste of time IMHO.

Some video capture devices use FW, as do some HDDs. Pretty uncommon though for sure. Always a good thing to have both though IMO.

Tangoed Works
Some video capture devices use FW, as do some HDDs. Pretty uncommon though for sure. Always a good thing to have both though IMO.

Yeah my missus uses FW 800 for editing as you need quick ability to write and re write (external drive) over and over on FCP (saves your main drive getting cained). Also pretty good when using a HD camcorder to upload videos. Real quick.

Astra VXR & Smart CDi
I have the 27" imac and its fantastic.

I signed up for a 10 week photoshop night class at a local college which cost me £75 got a student card and managed to get the educational discount on both the mac and all the software! Result!