ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignition problems - not sure if immobiliser or barrel

Clio Mk2
Hi there - I've had a nightmare of a weekend. My car's a Mk2 Clio (2000, think it's Ph1). On Friday night, it drove as normal. Yesterday morning, I went to start, and the ignition was sticking. Very occasionally, it has locked up before and a firm twist of the key would unlock it and it work fine. However, yesterday's firm twist ended up with half of the key blade in the ignition and half in my hand. After getting a locksmith out, I got both parts of the blade, and was able to get a new blade cut today, and the transponder chip transferred over. (I'm using the spare key as last year I let my brother use it while I was on holiday and the original key did something to the solenoid).

However, although the key opens and locks my car, it still won't turn, except very slightly, in the ignition. Is this a problem with the ignition barrel itself? If so, can I change it myself without massive difficulty? Obviously can't drive it to a mechanic without being to start it and can't really afford to be paying call out after already paying for the locksmith. If I can switch it over, and it comes with keys, is it possible to transfer the chip to that key, or will my old key work if I keep it close enough?

Immobilizer problems wouldn't stop you turning the key...

If your Clio is a phase 2 (post 2001)....

You can transfer the internal parts of your original transponder key to the new one (if it's the same type of housing). The key blade is fixed to one side of the plastic housing but all the internal parts are mounted to a circuit board seated in a clear rubber seal which just pops out as a single unit (i.e. circuit board with transponder, microswitch & battery holder).

Re. Ignition barrel not turning / getting stuck. Sounds like an issue with the steering lock?

Are you pulling the steering wheel slightly to the left before you turn the key? (to release the steering lock).

Also try spraying / injecting dry Teflon lubricant spray into the barrel (pushing the thin straw attachment right in, where the key goes).

Hope that helps..

Last edited:
  Clio Mk2
Immobilizer problems wouldn't stop you turning the key...

If your Clio is a phase 2 (post 2001)....

You can transfer the internal parts of your original transponder key to the new one (if it's the same type of housing). The key blade is fixed to one side of the plastic housing but all the internal parts are mounted to a circuit board seated in a clear rubber seal which just pops out as a single unit (i.e. circuit board with transponder, microswitch & battery holder).

Re. Ignition barrel not turning / getting stuck. Sounds like an issue with the steering lock?

Are you pulling the steering wheel slightly to the left before you turn the key? (to release the steering lock).

Also try spraying / injecting dry Teflon lubricant spray into the barrel (pushing the thin straw attachment right in, where the key goes).

Hope that helps..

Thanks for that - the key won't even turn to the first position, so I can rule out an immobiliser problem. The wheel won't turn to the left at all - only slightly to the right, I'll give the barrel a spray with some teflon and see if that makes it move, thanks for the help!

Clio Mk2
So I tried spraying some WD40 down the barrel - success! (Of a sort). I was then able to move the key enough to make the wheel move and deactivate the steering lock, and moving the key to fire the ignition. I moved my car, reparked it and tried again, getting the same issue, but at least I can start it. Sounds like a problem with the steering lock? I've checked the wheels are straight when I park so perhaps a problem with the alignment?