ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignition Coils on Mk1 V6

One of the ignition coils has gone again on my V6.

This is the third time this has happened in the last 15 months. I understand that this has been a common problem on all clios.

My questions are should i make the dealers/renault replace all the coils(that they havent already replaced) this time? And are there any coils or ignition systems that can be used to replace the standard ones?

My warranty runs out in march and I can bet that once this happens the dealers will try and screw me for as much money as they can and given that I seem to be having a new coil fitted every 2000 miles it could prove to be expensive.

Its sad for me to be saying this but recently the car has just been a real pain in the @r$e, with poor reliability (mainly electrical and ignition faults) and rubbish service from the dealers who treat me like Im a dickhead.

If this continues Im going to have to sell it which would be a shame because when it goes its fu**ing briliant.:D

ignition coils sit on the spark plugs, so id imagine its just a case of removing the plastic coer on the engine and youll see them.

piece of piss to change i reckon.

When 2 of mine were replaced in September the guy recond the cost would have about £120 mark..............but that was just off the top of his head.

Cya Stu

PS Rog do you not have to take off the manifold to get at the plugs and coils?

[Edited by stusV6 on 22 January 2005 at 3:32pm]

dunno stu, as i said i havent done it, i cant see reno removing the inlet, would they even know how?

im sure you can access them with the covering off.

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 22 January 2005

Cheers for PM Stu.

Will sort it out on monday.

No probs Chris.............mine is booked in for Wenesday to get the remaining 3 changed (the goodwill gesture) :D

Cya Stu

The dealers locally to me cant even take the cover off without cracking it and covering it in scratches. What a LOL that was.

Quote: Originally posted by iwantaV6 on 22 January 2005

dunno stu, as i said i havent done it, i cant see reno removing the inlet, would they even know how?

im sure you can access them with the covering off.

My local Reno dealer certainly knows how cause when it was in having 2 coils changed in September they had it in bits and covered with stickers saying "DO NOT START ENGINE"................so they def had it off :cool:

Cya Stu

not convinced though mate, that means to change the plugs they would need to remove the inlet - seems abit long winded!

anyway, im sure somebody like MikeT or BenR will be along to answer!

Yeah might be longwinded but isnt Renaults design motto why make it easy when you can make it difficult. It is a 3 litre laguna engine forced up the backside of a small hatchback after all!!!!

Had two coild plus two computers go in 48K.

Renault agreed to replace other four and to check all the earthing and connections. This work was carried out at the 48K service uner warranty.

The Dealer dealt with all this and got agreement from Renault.

Do a search V6 Missfire for more information

[Edited by John V6 on 1/22/2005 5:48:17 PM]

Clio 182

I had this problem on my last Clio, a 1.4 Si - I found out after going back a second time for the second two, that Renault wouldnt replace them all in one go the first time, unless they were all faulty... and yep I was told Renault were aware this was a known problem. Mine were done under warranty, just before it ran out.

Right. Just a quick update on this.

Dealers agreed that three coils in 6 months is not good enough. They rang renault uk who said change the rest of the coils under warranty. Interestingly they also changed the inlet manifold seal/gasket.

All sorted. Got that beautiful engine note back again with the intoxicating rush of power from the engine and am in love with the damn thing again.

But waying things up think Im gonna change to 911 993 carrera 4. Same insurance, more surefooted at speed (especially in the wet), more power, better build quality and better residuals!

They changed the inlet manifold gasket because the manifold has to be completely removed to access the three rear coils..

Renaults policy for the coils has been discussed before. But as it stands all dealers have been told in the technical note that if 1 coil fails then they must ALL be changed at the same time to stop the car coming back a second or third time.. But this only affects coils made by Sagem and up to date code 330-3 imprinted on the coil body.. (day 330 of 2003)

And its a Peugeot engine, with some input from Renault.. ;)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 26 January 2005

But waying things up think Im gonna change to 911 993 carrera 4. Same insurance, more surefooted at speed (especially in the wet), more power, better build quality and better residuals!
lol, pity its slower ;)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

there were lots of trouble and info on coils for the 4 cylinder 16v engines inc production of modified coils. the problem in general has been less on the v6 and there isnt any modified coils. if you get them all changed even though just one has gone will be up to renault customer services. to access cylinders 1,2 and 3 just remove the engine cover. to access cylinders 4,5 and 6 reqs the removal of the inlet manifold but its a peice of piss to remove so no big deal.

Had the coils 3 on mine replaced today as a "goodwill gesture" authorised by Reno UK (y)

Had them check out the brakes for wear while they were at it and the rears are 90% worn so it looks like Im gonna need to do them BEFORE the service comes around in May :sick:

Cya Stu

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 26 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 26 January 2005

lol, pity its slower ;)

Chris, they are sexy cars.. tad under 170mph! :D Time for visit to the Autobarn!

1995 Porsche 911 Carrera 4( 993) Specifications

Performance 0-30 2.0 seconds 0-60 5.2 seconds (EVO 94 - 97)0-100 14.0 seconds 0-1/4 mile: 14.0 seconds Top Speed: 168 MPH Engine Flat-6 Horsepower: 269.9 Torque: 329.5 nm / 243.0 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm Dimensions Length: 167.7 in. Width: 68.3 in. Height: 51.8 in. Weight: 3175 lbs.

Hey Zonda you forgot to mention the mortgage needed to service the car not mention just running it eh check the cost per mile I bet theres a BIG BIG dif there :D

Cya Stu

Yeah EBC Green Stuff £59 front £18 rear..................:cool:

Stu

PS what would you estimate the cost of say a 12000, 24000 and a 36000 mile services (thats 3 services) for a Porsche would be? Then Ill tell you EXACTLY what it is for the Vee :D

[Edite by stusV6 on 27 January 2005 at 12:46am]

Yep, both very lovely. But a Porsche is a bit nicer..

Thats a good point, but Porsches hold their value! ;) He wont lose hardly a penny, so will still be better off after a couple of years. Unless he spends over £10,000 in 2 years servicing?

Just one of my fave cars ever!

Quote: Originally posted by Bailey16v on 27 January 2005

Shocking genuine pads r £203 b4 VAT!!!!!!!

I think thats cheap I thought it was £230 + vat.......could be wrong though................so wheres the estimate then :D

Stu

PS I think we might be the only left posting just now eh :D

Quote: Originally posted by Zonda on 27 January 2005

Yep, both very lovely. But a Porsche is a bit nicer..

Thats a good point, but Porsches hold their value! ;) He wont lose hardly a penny, so will still be better off after a couple of years. Unless he spends over £10,000 in 2 years servicing?

Just one of my fave cars ever!

I dont know about the Porsche being nicer.............I like it aswell but Ive got to say you would need a mortgage for servicing and any other repairs.............how about you Zonda want to give an estimate on the above mentioned costs eh :D

Cya Stu

I think its £600 service every 6000 miles... and depends on how you use the car as to the mpg! ;)

[Edited by Zonda on 27 January 2005 at 12:55am]

Thats if u take it to Porsche! Or it would be half them costs.

2 CLIO 16 VALVES

Hmm poss b £230+ its late def know I would charge around £350 inc VAT to fit unless your a employee then your pads r like £112 and youdo it yourself!

I doubt money is that much of a problem if u can afford one to start with tho, and u only live once! :cool:

Nite.. time for some zzzs!

OK lets say thats correct.........I recon itd be more............but hey lets say its correct thatd be £1800 for 3 services :eek: and I recon thatd be plus parts but well call it £1800!

For the V it cost and these are actual costs as per my car

12000 mile service x 2 = £144.98 & £125.21 (Ill drop the lower one)

24000 mile service x 1 = £134.48

and the 36000 (which has not yet been done) £232

therefore 3 services cost a total of £511.46

That figure includes £50 per visit just for oil :D

So the Vee is up on the deal to the tune of £1289 and I still think youd be VERY lucky to get a Porsche serviced for the price quoted iclusive of parts,labour & vat.

Cya Stu

LOL.. u missed the point entirely.. ;) the Porsche holds its value far better.. the V6 will lose £3000 + more per year than the Porsche.

But, not dissing the V6.. its one hell of a car... just the Porsche is better of course, you wont agree. I think we should ask on a Porsche Club? Just kidding.. hehe.

Nite mate.

Quote: Originally posted by Zonda on 27 January 2005

LOL.. u missed the point entirely.. ;) the Porsche holds its value far better.. the V6 will lose £3000 + more per year than the Porsche.

But, not dissing the V6.. its one hell of a car... just the Porsche is better of course, you wont agree. I think we should ask on a Porsche Club? Just kidding.. hehe.

Nite mate.

Ahhhh but the V6 will be a classic.............next week eh :D

Im only kiddin too...............anyways is it not toime you were taking your teeth out and getting some sleep :D

Cya Stu

Servicing on the 993 is every 12000 miles like the clio. (every 6000 is for older models)

Cost for 12000 mile service is around £380

Cost for 24000 mile service is around £495

Fuel economy is about the same, if not better than the clio, performance is better (LOL at slower), it doesnt eat tyres as badly when you aply the righthand pedal and they dont creak and rattle like the clio interior loves to do now that it has been apart a number of times for the engine faults to be corrected.

Initial outlay is more but only about the price of a new mk2 v6 and as has been mentioned before there is no haemorrhaging of cash like with the v6. Prices for 993s have stayed rock steady for the last 4 years. Depreciation has been about £1500 to £2000 over that time (not per year).

Im not sl*gging the v6 it is a FANTASTIC CAR and something I feel special in every time I drive it. It has just cost me a lot of money in depreciation, insurance and time sorting out niggles and I have calculated that it has been a little more expensive than it would have been to run a porsche over that time and so I thought Id try to run a porsche.

You only live once!!

[Edited by ChrisM on 27 January 2005 at 8:12am]

OK Chris................if you say so but if a Porsche WAS as cost effective to run as that then Id have one....................and there would be a LOT more of them on the road.

My car doesnt have any rattles at all and I recon itll cost me no more than a normal family car to run................I dont think I could do that with a Porsche but thats just my opinion eh :cool:

Cya Stu

Yeah I accept that but Im talking a used porsche here £25-35k. The reason there arent more about is that some numpty has to buy them from new and the 993 started around £65k. Therefore as not many people can afford £60k plus for a car there are not that many around.

You can definately run a porsche for only a fraction over family car money until it goes bang.................................

Anyway were not talking about what this thread started off about now.

Coils replaced.

Car fixed.

Me happy.

Off to the porsche dealers.

;)

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 27 January 2005

Anyway were not talking about what this thread started off about now.

Coils replaced.

Car fixed.

Me happy.

Off to the porsche dealers.

;)

Yeah youre rite Chris sorry and ditto my coils are all replaced, car fixed me happy and Im NOT going to the Porsche deaers eh :D

Let me know how you get on and what you think yeah?

Cya Stu

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 27 January 2005

Sorry my bad

Servicing at 12000 is £205 and at 24000 is £350

Chris, thats a lot less than I mentioned earlier.... What a car!! Good to hear your review, you have a clearer understanding than the cookie and glass of milk before bedtime boy! Bless him.. lol..

Have fun!! :D