ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idle sounds wrong, video included

Besides the ticking, it just sounds like an old poorly maintained car.
New - lambda, spark plugs , ignition coil , ht leads , TDC sensor , 4 engine mounts , injectors , air filter , battery. MAP, air temp sensor, and throttle body were cleaned with tons of carb spray. No fault codes , It used to misfire and backfire like crazy and the leads, injectors and TDC sensor cured this, runs great now except this idle sound. It also seems pretty weak and slow when revving from idle in neutral, maybe worth another video. Sounds the same warm and cold , used to sound the same before I replaced all these parts too.
BTW the oil is castrol magnetec, I once saw fred saying not to use castrol on this engine ?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hard to tell, sounds a little tappy though.
wasnt going to reply but you are missing an airbox screw and an engine mount bolt on the left.

2 years ago, before I owned the car. Timing was just tested though. I don't know if the dephaser was replaced but from videos of faulty dephasers, it doesn't sound similar.
I know about the bolts, not easy to get them in my country.

Clio ph2 172
Hi,

My 172 engine sounded exactly like this once warmed up to temp. It's was almost like a Diesel engine.

I changed the hydrolic lifters all 16 of them but this didn't cure the problem.

It was the cam rollers/followers that were making the noise once the oil in the the engine was warm. From cold it wasn't that noticeable but once warm idling the engine sounded poorly.

If you put a screw driver on to rocker cover inbetween the manifold and stick your ear on the end of it you can hear the faulty ones clear as day!

Hope you get it sorted

Phil

Clio ph2 172
Does it have any negative effects leaving it like that ?

Hi,
not sure to be honest am not a mechanic this is what a renault tech diagnosed.

However I did 2 track days in it giving it some real abuse and it was fine. He did say it's not a common failure.

The parts are real cheap it's just the labour as timing belt off rocker off cams out etc

Hope this helps