ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
I have to once again thank Crispy my right hand man. He has done 5 days on this build with me and I could not have done it without him. I am very pleased with the result when you think what a dog it was when we started. Just got to wait for the wiring to be finished and im not sure it will be done in time for next weeks Cadwell. We will see.

BMW Z4
WOW.

​Kudos to you man!

Bah motorsports companies. So the car went to NMS for wiring like last time and then I get a phone call oh we did a comp tests and it has low compression so we want to take the engine out, do a full strip and rebuild just to be sure the bottom end is ok. I told them no and that if it needed it I would do that. Then I get another call that they don't want to do the wiring. This is after the car had been with them 5 weeks and I was being told it was being done.

Arse :banghead:

So I got the car back had a £900 bill for not much that I can see and now the car has gone to TMME (Tim Mason) Who assures me he can turn it around in a week.

BMW Z4
​What for, did they actually do anything?

Comp test
Leak down test
Fit rear plastic screen
Fit two front leccy heaters

and the best bit

Remove buttons from front plastic scuttle and make ally panel for them to go on because the front scuttle dont fit. Even though it is the right one for the car and Crispy and I got it to fit and then fitted the buttons to it. 4 hours at £60 an hour plus VAT!

I think they just like to get a car in, quote say 1500 quid for a job and then add loads of extra jobs and give you a bill for 5 grand!

Yes Ash I think you're right.

As for low comps, well the engine is new and not run in and the valves have very high overlap which I am told can contribute to low comp at cranking speed, there are a few articles on that very subject on the net. Leak down test they did showed some valves slightly leaking. I think I should just run it in and then do my own leak down test afterwards with the engine warm.

BMW Z4
What? So Troy did a good job on the clio and has now f**ked up on the Audi? Seems odd?

Yeh I honestly don't get it either Fred but he has messed me around for 5 weeks. Tim rang me today and said he sees no issues with the interior loom build and it all looks straightforward.

Lionel Richie
Its one way to ruining your business i suppose! £900 would buy you almost 17hours of my time, a comp test takes what? 30min?

BMW Z4
Its one way to ruining your business i suppose! £900 would buy you almost 17hours of my time, a comp test takes what? 30min?

The thing is when I rang I was told oh yes it's being done, he KNEW I wanted the car for cadwell and I made sure he had it 3 weeks before so he had plenty of time. I mean why do that if you A: Don't want the work or B: Do but have not got the staff to fit it in. Either way he wont ever get anything from me again or indeed my partner.

Can't tell you yet but exciting things in the offing.

BMW Z4
Audi is back today from TMME and im £3250 lighter (again) so with the £900 I paid NMS for f**k all a £1600 interior loom has cost me 4.5k hmmm

Tim has given me manual control over the Haldex. I now have a rotary nob on the switch panel from 0 to 10. 0 is no pressure on the clutch plates = no rear wheel drive and ten is max pressure = diff lock. I also have a button on the steering wheel so that I can turn it off and go to FWD only. The temp sensor in it also maps to a table in the MOTEC so if it gets too hot the MOTEC turns it off by releasing valve pressure. quite clever really.

Jobs on my radar are

Refit cams
Do the top hat shims and set the lash 10 thou inlet and 12 thou exhaust, cams in cams out grind shim, shake it all about pain in the arse job
Give it my own leak down test just to check its all ok and I dont have a leaky valve or anything (hope not)
Fit driver name in rear windows as I am going to drive it one day :)
Send to TDI for map and run in
Track days
Race on July 27th and 28th at Brands on the GP circuit

Not so many jobs left now.

PS
In the interim we have bought a Megane Trophy :) Pics to follow

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Great progress mark.. If you heading to tdi in Warrington give us a shout would love to pop along for a hour or so.

I bet its a nice loom though Mark and done properly!

Best of luck for getting it sorted racing on the GP circuit would be awesome.

Megane Trophy as in
Renault-Megane_Trophy-2009-wallpaper.jpg

If so best of luck they are so bloody expensive to run but i'm sure you'll of done the maths :)

BMW Z4
OK need advice.

We gave it a leak down test and results as follows.

1 = 30% in green on gauge
2 = 35% in green but approaching yellow
3 = 30% In green
4 = 8% in blue

Tester was the lazer one running at 100 psi

Sounds like it's valves leaking.

Now I have been told that these days no one does a lapping job anymore just a seat cut least of all manufacturers and just to run it and the valves will bed in. Technical thoughts please? Is that ok for a new engine?

BMW Z4
Hi Dan

I did put some running in oil down each bore and gave it a good turn over before doing the test as I was told to do that. I also had the pistons at TDC of course for each test.

Do those figures seem ok to you on a brand new engine? (Honed bores, new pistons and rings, valves cut, head skim) What about the valves leaking? I though after having the valves re cut they should seat perfectly?

BMW Z4
I went bugger it and took the head off and stripped it. Hate doing a job twice, glad I did. The c**t I gave the had too had cut all the seats different widths t**t and had not bothered to do the exhaust ones. What a tired old story eh. Seems like every fucker in this country is a c**t. :banghead:

BMW Z4
Jesus Christ. Where are you finding these people? It's beyond a joke, you've been shafted more times than Christy Mack.

It is quite unbelievable isnt it. Literally everything on this car was either bodged, broken, worn out, wrong bolts holding it on or just plain damn awfull engineering.

I have also learnt all about valve seat cutting and what the optimum width is for race seats and how you arrive at the figure and also all about 3 angle cuts and back cuts. So it's not all bad as I have added to my knowledge.

BMW M135i
I went bugger it and took the head off and stripped it. Hate doing a job twice, glad I did. The c**t I gave the had too had cut all the seats different widths tw*t and had not bothered to do the exhaust ones. What a tired old story eh. Seems like every f**ker in this country is a c**t. :banghead:
99.999% of people in the motor "trade" are c***s/incompetant. As well proved here.

BMW Z4
Ok So Update

Chrispy and I had a MAMMOTH weekend on the car starting on Friday night. We finished at 1.45am with the shims ready to got for grinding at 7am in the morning to Miks place RP engineering (my saviour for all things made and grinded)

Shims came back at lunch time and then I spent 4 hours taking cams in and out to get them all to be spot on at 10 and 12 thou. I NEVER want to do that job again as long as I live LOL. I hate maths and it is so frustrating when you make a slight mistake on the mic and take too much off the shim and then it goes 2 thou to wide, all out again LOL. I got so good that I can now put both cams in and time them up in less than 4 mins LOL!

We got the loom installed and nothing worked, much scratching of heads ensues and then I realised the cartech GT cutoff plug was not plugged in on the scuttle. Et Voila all works :)

Gave the engine a leak test and all are in the green now at between 10 and 18% so well pleased with that result. Turned the engine over and hoped liked hell to see oil at the top which after a few turns it appeared on all cam lobes so again a big sigh of relief and I fitted the cam cover on.

Car is now ready to go for running in and mapping at last and I just rang to get that sorted. Bascially all jobs apart from fitting the video cameras are now done.

Many thanks again to Chris who works so hard on these builds.

Pics to follow later tonight

BMW Z4
So some more pictures for you.

A nice shot of the cams installed with gaps set. I got sick of the sight of these LOL. Hydraulic lifters FTW

IMAG0170.jpg

A finished front end

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

Th heat shield for the swirl pot

IMAG0176.jpg

Passenger side wiring station nd MOTEC

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

My Video 4 box

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

The digital radio I am using

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

Switch panel all working now

IMAG0184.jpg

Haldex control knob is the bottom one with a light to tell me when its activated. I have an overide on the steering wheel.

IMAG0185.jpg

My AIM dash

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

The scuttle buttons

IMAG0188.jpg

So the car is off to Tracktive on Friday for Richard to work his magic. Am I the only one nervous to fire up a car after such a big build LOL!! I am booked in for both races at BH on July 27th and 28th

BMW Z4
What power are you hoping for? I'm surprised you've kept the stock inlet.

I have one race left in track day trophy which is 175 bhp/ton at wheels including driver. Then I move into team trophy which is 200 bhp/ton at wheels. So if the car weighs with me in it around 1.3 ish then I need about 240 at the wheels max or i'm into lead territory.

I didn't want to mess with anything on the engine (apart from renewing it) as Keith from Dialynx built it like that for a reason and he knows way more about race engine building than I do. The build has been difficult enough as it is without me trying to add my take to it LOL