ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
I think Ultraleggeras only come in ET37 which is why you would run 10mm spacer at the back and 25 on the front.

If you can get them in ET27 then thats a bonus and we will then just run a 10-15mm spacer at the front.

Ah I understand. I will get my mate to make me some ally rear spacers with the camber built into them then. Remind me Chris when we go see him on 15th to take the camber shim.

BMW Z4
  182 trackday racer
Re: Latest Update

Both my floor beams were removed when they fitted the cage for me. Just drill em out with a spot weld drill bit. Chrispy loved that little tool of mine, till he busted it that is :)

Yes I know, even bought the drill bit. BUT MOT rules in Swe force me to unmount the cage every year for MOT. Because of this my cage cant be built all the way to the front susp. so id rather keep this crash reinforcement.

TrackCar & F30 330d

I'll bring one of my OZ Ultraleggers with me and we can see if it fits over the rear brake! And you can feel how light it is compaired to the wheels you allready have :)

182 trackday racer

Oh my oh my what have you done! I will have

Carbon light pod
Rear tailgate

mmmmmmm

How do I order??

Hehe look at the prices and weights! How about some carbonfiber doors? ;)

If you are seriously interested I can pull a few strings ;)

BMW Z4

Hehe look at the prices and weights! How about some carbonfiber doors? ;)

If you are seriously interested I can pull a few strings ;)

I'm always serious :) Yes please order for me the tailgate and light pod. How do they want paying?

Mark

182 trackday racer

I'm always serious :) Yes please order for me the tailgate and light pod. How do they want paying?

Mark

You want it all in carbon?

Just to clarify, all parts made for racing so finish is not up to showroom standards (but thats kind of obvious looking at the pictures) Tailgate have hinges but no mounts for the standard locking mechanism, but I guess you dont care to much about that?

Ill have to check about payment, get back to you soon.

lift number 1 @ btm
Cake? you had cake? I only got tea...

Seriously though, it was good to meet you and Chris, that car will be an absolute weapon once it's done and I'll be interested to see how you get on!

182 trackday racer
Mark I have contact info for you now, but I still need your contact info. Please drop me a PM.

/Mårten

BMW Z4
Small update.

OMEX are making my engine loom for me although I have to measure it for them so can't do that till next week on the 15th.

Mark.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
some interesting developments in here over the past 2 weeks, just been reading through them all. (including the new relationship... you and chris...lol)

wheel wise i am surprised you haven't looked at something custom... ie some images, spec the offset, wheel size / style etc, you could get it perfect for you and at a really good weight, otherwise i would go for what chris mentioned
as for the false floor, looks very nice, like that set-up, the spacers look spot on, (any chance you could sort a couple more of these please?), as mentioned in my thread i am doing this, but it won't be the metal checkerplate.... all about carbon baby...
i see you also bought a storm wiper conversion like i have, good pieces of kit aren't they

now we just need the rear windows, great work lads

BMW Z4
some interesting developments in here over the past 2 weeks, just been reading through them all. (including the new relationship... you and chris...lol)

wheel wise i am surprised you haven't looked at something custom... ie some images, spec the offset, wheel size / style etc, you could get it perfect for you and at a really good weight, otherwise i would go for what chris mentioned
as for the false floor, looks very nice, like that set-up, the spacers look spot on, (any chance you could sort a couple more of these please?), as mentioned in my thread i am doing this, but it won't be the metal checkerplate.... all about carbon baby...
i see you also bought a storm wiper conversion like i have, good pieces of kit aren't they

now we just need the rear windows, great work lads

I can quite literally get anything made to be honest (not wheels). let me know the spec you want. Height, width, stud length, material.

Mark.

PS
Where do you get custom wheels made?

PPS
Now I have done the checkerplate I might change it to carbon later and use a sandwich with 10mm honey. Just want to get it finished at this point so I can get soem dricing in before the wetaher turns foul. I can bling it more over winter when I add the Sadev, paddle shift and forged engine.

Qashcow
Image wheels are the way forwards, might be a pain for you in endurance as you'll need a quantity I'd imagine?

Neil, I might be doing the same with carbon if I can get the material so will double up on the ally spacer things for you

340i
I've got a load of alloy spacers in my garage when I jigged up my 172 seat frames....

I can take a look what I have! They are all drilled and tapped :)

Oh... me, ph-reebone and Bomber are moving to Switzerland, for sure. Where do you live out of interest, Iceman?

BMW Z4
Im living in Bern. Off to Geneva tommorow for some shopping and then to D Ouchy in the afternoon for Crepes by lake Geneva :)

340i
Im living in Bern. Off to Geneva tommorow for some shopping and then to D Ouchy in the afternoon for Crepes by lake Geneva :)

ahhh very nice, we where in Geneva a few days ago... Simply brilliant, sat having an orangina on Quai Bezanson Hughes ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yep Image wheels will be the ones to go for,
i have my offsets noted down if you really needed them.

gray - i will be in-touch (ref: spacers)

switzerland is awesome.... off to research designer jobs in switzerland

Lionel Richie
but i doubt you'll be wanting to do £1K per set on 15's for "pretty wheels"

you don't NEED ET "whatever" that you've been recommended, that's what spacers are for

TrackCar & F30 330d
As bomber says the car will eventually be doing endurance racing so a few wheels will be needed so spending £3000 on 3 sets of wheels is not the best option when you can get 3 sets of Ultraleggers for £1800. Getting them in ET 37 wil mean you only need front hubcentric spacers and you only need 10mm spacers behind the hub which mark can get made.

BMW Z4
As bomber says the car will eventually be doing endurance racing so a few wheels will be needed so spending £3000 on 3 sets of wheels is not the best option when you can get 3 sets of Ultraleggers for £1800. Getting them in ET 37 wil mean you only need front hubcentric spacers and you only need 10mm spacers behind the hub which mark can get made.

Very sound advice young man. I quite like the look of the new Alleggerita HLT

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/16_Inch_OZ_Racing_Alleggerita_HLT_Titanium_Alloy_Wheels__2776

Only comes in 16's though looks like. They do a very nice Orange one for a grand.

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/16_Inch_OZ_Racing_Alleggerita_HLT_Orange_Alloy_Wheels__2759

Expensive for a bit of paint to be honest over the titanium coloured one.

BMW Z4
but i doubt you'll be wanting to do £1K per set on 15's for "pretty wheels"

you don't NEED ET "whatever" that you've been recommended, that's what spacers are for

Fred you would be VERY surprised how much I would spend for pretty ROFL But I take your point.

BMW Z4
Latest Update

So another fantastic two days and loads more of the heavy jobs done. Chris came up again for two days although on the second he was flagging a bit and needed an afternoon sleepies. It's his age I guess.

Anyway so we start as always with an abundance of parcels awaiting me when I arrive home. I now have enough cardboard to start a recycling factory!

So first up The Carbon Bonnet arrived from K-Tech. Sean has now agreed to increase my discount to 99.9% so I got this for the princley sum of 50 pence!! Top man that Sean and ever helpfull as always.

carbon_bonnet_arrived.jpg

I do so love a bit of carbon!

carbon_bonnet_arrived2.jpg

carbon_bonnet_arrived3.jpg

My Sparco fire system arrived and true to form had no fitting kit with it bah! Not only that but I also had to drill the brackets to mount it to the floor. Perhaps they think that you will use cable ties but I am more thinking that they just can't be bothered supplying a ready to fit bracket or some P clips. Oh well I am used to this crap by now I guess.

fire_system_arrived.jpg

Then these tured up! Yes yes I know I said I was not going to do that with this engine. BUT then when we looked at building the loom and it became obvious that there are less sensors on the bodies loom so better to do that now and not waste time onm loom sensors we dont need. So I ordered them.

throttle_bodies_arrived.jpg

throttle_bodies_arrived2.jpg

throttle_bodies_arrived3.jpg

My Pipercorss filter arrived also. I have also ordered the Reverie back plate for this in carbon but they are cutting it out for the bodies so that has not arrived yet.

airfilter_arrived.jpg

Some nice racing exhaust hangers from Prima

exhaust_hangers_arrived.jpg

And my missing ARB bracket also turned up yay.

ARB_bracket_arrived.jpg

Next up was my wheel stud fitting kit

wheel_studkit_arrived.jpg

And my Lifeline quick release boss which is very nicely engineered.

lifelineboss_arrived.jpg

Aero catches in carbon (lookalike) Cheapskates!!!

aerocatches_arrived.jpg

And my Jenvey fuel rail kit

fuel_rail_arrived.jpg

I bought an FIA approved solid state cutoff kit from Cartech with both buttons in blue, mmm. Got to keep my theme going here.

cutoff_switch_arrived.jpg

And a lambda blanking plug from Ebay and at £2 possibly my cheapest purchase yet!

lambdaplug_arrived.jpg

Next up is my OMEX plug kit and OMEX lambda sensor

OMEXplugs_arrived.jpg

So thats it for this weeks batch of bits and bobs. We set about fitting them with gay abandon although with a bit less of the gay I might add.

First up is the bonnet catches.

bonnet_fitted.jpg

bonnet_fitted2.jpg

And then the bonnet itself

bonnet_fitted3.jpg

bonnet_fitted4.jpg

bonnet_fitted5.jpg

bonnet_fitted6.jpg

bonnet_fitted7.JPG

bonnet_fitted8.jpg

bonnet_fitted9.jpg

bonnet_fitted10.jpg

bonnet_fitted11.jpg

Then we fitted the standard bonnet catch. Chrispy suggested a block of wood to hold open the bonnet, I just gave him one of my looks :)

bonnet_catch_fitted.jpg

bonnet_catch_fitted2.jpg

bonnet_catch_fitted3.jpg

I then started to fit the fire system

fire_system_bottle_fitted.jpg

I did plumb in the engine bay but forgot to take a pic, will do that next week.

Whiteline ARB next. Such a nice piece of industrial engineering that is. I mean exhaust U clamps LOL. Oh well. It's on anyway and unless I make one myself it is the best you can get at the moment.

ARB_fitted.jpg

ARB_fitted2.jpg

So lets start on fitting the bodies with the new position for the coil pack also.

coil_pack_fitted.jpg

And now the bodies themselves. I went for K-Tech ones as they come with the fitting kit for the throttle pedal which saved me a lot of time making one up to fit. I like them in black and they are Jenveys anyway :)

throttle_bodies_fitted.jpg

throttle_bodies_fitted2.jpg

As you can see I have routed the vac hose round the other way on the engine. It clips to the timing belt cover and I also managed to get it in blue from Designation which are in Boro :)

throttle_bodies_fitted3.jpg

throttle_bodies_fitted4.jpg

throttle_bodies_fitted5.jpg

Next we fitted the new throttle pedal.

throttle_pedal_fitted.jpg

throttle_pedal_fitted2.jpg

throttle_pedal_fitted3.jpg

throttle_pedal_fitted4.jpg

And now the Lifeline and also my steering wheel

Lifeline_fitted.jpg

Lifeline_fitted2.jpg

Lifeline_fitted3.jpg

Lifeline_fitted4.jpg

Lifeline_fitted5.jpg

Lifeline_fitted6.jpg

Then we moved onto fitting he OMEX water temp sensor.

OMEX_water_temp_sensor_fitted.jpg

OMEX_water_temp_sensor_fitted2.jpg

Let's get the exhaust fitted up to the new hangers. This needed a bit of fettling but it sits well now. They are great with so mnay holes in them for position.

This is what the old hanger looked like!

worn_rear_exhaust_hangers.jpg

and the new ones

rear_exhaust_hangers_fitted.jpg

rear_exhaust_hangers_fitted2.jpg

rear_exhaust_hangers_fitted3.jpg

and the exhaust in position.

rear_exhaust_fitted.jpg

rear_exhaust_fitted2.jpg

rear_exhaust_fitted3.jpg

Thats it for this week. Next week is seat and wiring and yet more plumbing up! Oh yes my mate Nick designed and made a switch panel up out of fibre board. I will get that made now in either GRP or carbon. Will post some pics of that later. I also fitted a front strut brace which you can just see.

Mark.

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
not a fan of the bonnet, but i guess it more function that looks your going for..

182cup & 172 racecar
A bit more done then,how many ports did you take the vac pipe off? and or did you take them off odd cylinders.?

You won't be doing Tin Tops with that bonnet either.

BMW Z4
A bit more done then,how many ports did you take the vac pipe off? and or did you take them off odd cylinders.?

You won't be doing Tin Tops with that bonnet either.

Two ports for the vac pipe Tony. It's how the bodies are made I did'nt drill them or anything. I have two bonnets, this one is for free bodywork endurance. I like it more than the plain one but of course that's a personal tatse thing. For endurance it's better as it lets the heat out.

182cup & 172 racecar
Two ports for the vac pipe Tony. It's how the bodies are made I did'nt drill them or anything. I have two bonnets, this one is for free bodywork endurance. I like it more than the plain one but of course that's a personal tatse thing. For endurance it's better as it lets the heat out.

Fair do's.

172 Race Car
Why do you need to keep the stock temp sensor? Could you not of fitted the omex one in stock location?

Not using stock ecu or dash are you?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Why do you need to keep the stock temp sensor? Could you not of fitted the omex one in stock location?

Not using stock ecu or dash are you?

We do have an OMEX temp sensor and did place it in the ITB's but I think the hole was too big or small. As it has the same connector for the loom we thought we could see how we get on with it or leave the standard sensor in it's place and fit the OMEX sensor somewhere else.

The car is being fully rewired as all the standard looms, ECU's and dash have been removed. A fancy digital dash is replacing the original.

182 trackday racer
Have that LifeLine piece in my car to. Very nice piece of kit.

Will you not space down the steering column? You will have a very odd angle on the steering wheel considering how low you will be seated. I spaced my down 2,5cm on the bots closest to the steeringwheel.

How about the carbon parts, have contact been made? My door cards will arrive this week.

BMW Z4
Have that LifeLine piece in my car to. Very nice piece of kit.

Will you not space down the steering column? You will have a very odd angle on the steering wheel considering how low you will be seated. I spaced my down 2,5cm on the bots closest to the steeringwheel.

How about the carbon parts, have contact been made? My door cards will arrive this week.

Yes I had some spacers made in different sizes so I can lower the column but will wait till the seat is fitted and then look at that.

No news on the door cards chap.