ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Evo 5 RS
Wondering if it's worth doing mine. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the dodgy omex sensor which was causing it to cut out occasionally (that or the loom of doom lol)

BMW Z4
Latest Update

So here we go again. Yes another update :) The thing is coming together :)

First up we have us fitting the reverie box mmmm. Very nice this is too.

reveriebox.jpg

reveriebox1.JPG

reveriebox2.jpg

reveriebox3.jpg

reveriebox4.jpg

reveriebox5.jpg

reveriebox6.jpg

reveriebox7.jpg

Then we set about fitting the Wilwoods. Very impressed I am with these especially how easy it is to change the pads. The pads I am using initially are Mintex F4R's

wilwoods.jpg

wilwoods1.JPG

wilwoods2.jpg

wilwoods3.jpg

wilwoods4.jpg

wilwoods5.jpg

wilwoods6.jpg

We also set about fitting the rear window this weekend

rearwindow.jpg

rearwindow.jpg

And Chris cut the bonnet out so it will fit over the air filter now.

bonnetcutout.jpg

I meanwhile was fitting the P clips to secure my fire system nozzels of which I have 6 in total. 4 are in the engine bay and two in the car.

firenozzle.jpg

firenozzle1.JPG

firenozzle2.jpg

firenozzle3.jpg

firenozzle4.jpg

firenozzle5.jpg

and then the fire nozzels inside the car

firenozzleinside.jpg

firenozzleinside2.jpg

firenozzleinside3.jpg

firenozzleinside4.jpg

firenozzleinside5.jpg

I had bought a pair of headlights so we could cut them out to the shells and we fitted those after painting them orange.

headlights.jpg

headlights2.jpg

and lastly I fitted the P clip for the fuel filter. A rivet nut gun is your friend for P clips :)

fuelfilter.jpg

We have taken the power steering system off now and also the whole ABS system too. I am fitting the same rack back without ABS and the brake will be cup stuff. When/if I do endurance later I can fit the ABS back on no worries.

Mark.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Not sure if you'd said already but what studs and nuts did you fit?

Trafic 140dci
this car is epic, i love it!!

quick question, sorry if it's already been answered, but i'm lazy and only look at pictures :eek:

i thought you were entering the britcar endurance, but you've sprayed the lights?? are you not racing now?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
awesome work again guys,
got an update from mine again today.... not that extensive though....

i remember you saying how you loved the spot weld drill bit..... god dam i hate them

BMW Z4
this car is epic, i love it!!

quick question, sorry if it's already been answered, but i'm lazy and only look at pictures :eek:

i thought you were entering the britcar endurance, but you've sprayed the lights?? are you not racing now?

I have to sprint the car in order to get a National A license so am building for that spec first. Lights, ABS etc have been placed in boxes and can easily be refitted at a later date if needed. Britcar are launching a 2 hour production salloon series but again you need a Nat A license for that too so next year will be track day trophy for at least 6 rounds and some tin tops I guess. Once I have a nat A then we will see.

Mark.

182 trackday racer
Since it looks like brembo max discs I guess that is K-tec's willwood kit? What pads will you run?

BMW Z4
Update

Yes another quick update :) I managed to get some more small jobs done. When I say small they took 8 hours LOL :)

First up I wanted to finish off the fire system and get the bottle in place so I could close that job off (short of wiring at least)

firesystembottle.jpg

firesystembottle2.jpg

Then I cut the hole for the bulkhead battery connector.

batterythroughbulkhead.jpg

And then set about securing the fuel line inside the car with P clips. As you can see I am using rubber grommets here. The scrut at Britcar told me to use those and so I got a load of them from Deemon Tweeks.

fuelline.jpg

fuelline2.jpg

fuelline3.jpg

fuelline4.jpg

fuelline5.jpg

Next I fitted my fuel sample kit to the fuel rail

fuelsamplekit.jpg

And then put my new 10mm rear spacers that I have had made.

rearspacers.jpg

rearspacers2.jpg

rearspacers3.jpg

rearspacers4.jpg

I also managed to get my tyres fitted to my OZ rims.

wheelsandtyres.jpg

wheelsandtyres2.jpg

I guess I need a second set of these. I still can't work out why its ok for a Clio cup to run 17 inch rims but not me.

So thats it. More to come next weekend.

BMW Z4
Thanks for the shifter yanoo. We left the ball in place because it was the white nylon/plastic one and seemed to be solid.

Mark

Turbo Beige
A few issues and observations.

I dont like the way you have run the fire system. The nozzle you have pointed at the passenger footwell, what it is there for? That nozzle should be pointing at your face/chest. The 2 in the cabin should be at the drivers feet, and the chest as stated above, it is totally redundant in the passenger footwell.
I would also of ran a 2 line system from your T, one goes nearside into the engine bay and the other goes offside to the driver. If you really want the nozzles in those positions, you have effectively got 5 Nozzles running running off 1 side of the T piece (how much fluid/pressure do you think the last nozzle will see?). I would have run 2 lines from the T and ran 3 from one and 3 from the other. The positions are off in the bay as well, the third one around in the bay needs to point at the fuel rail, its not doing a great deal pointing at the cam/aux belts. Did you fit 4 nozzles in the bay because you had 4? You only need 3 really, you have 2 pointing at the gearbox for some reason??? If you dont know what i mean, i will do you a pic of what i would have done.

The removal of PAS is a very poor choice on a car your intending to run in endurance events. You may regain 5bhp by removing it, but the extra fatique and effort you will have as a result dont outweigh the weight advantage and power gains. In a sprint car (20min sessions) it makes sense, but on an endurance car it really doesnt. Have a look at the various Lemans/VLN/Britcars etc cars that run for 2hrs plus, see how many of them run without it.

Finally im not convinced about the Scrutineers judgement on using those grommets for the fuel system, are you sure he said they where ok to use there on the fuel line? You effectively have an open fuel system with that there, the grommet canot seal against fuel getting in, as either vapour or fluid (its not a perfect fit to the line). To create a sealed system, you should have a bulkhead connection with a goodridge (or whatever manufacurers) fittings either side, this is then treated as a sealed system and doesn't require boxing.

Schma Schme 1.6l
the reason for the nozzle in the passenger footwell will be for the electrics and ECU. you should consider using the gas type extinguisher system, its more expensive but if your using the liquid type......that is the race over as everything will be shot. the Time Attack guys used liquid but soon changed to the gas system. but re-think the idea of running 6 off that current system, there is no pressure reducing point on the nozzles, so they get the most pressure at the closest 1.

the gromets for the fuel line look ok to me, i've seen alot of clubman level cars and britcars.

the removal of the pas system is daft, at least use the electric system like on the cup race cars.

Turbo Beige
The nozzle in the pax footwell just points at the extinguisher, there are no electrics currently there. If thats there intended location, it makes more sense, but i dont know that. It still needs a second pointing at the driver, removing one of the ones from the engine bay would be the other option then (4 is overkill there anyway).

TrackCar & F30 330d
The way the fire extinguisher is Plummed in is the way the instructions said it should be. All the electrics are on the false floor on the passenger side so the nozzle is for that.

Mark is doing a few trackday/test days, then the trackday trophy, then the tintops and then will be used in endurance racing. So Electric PAS will be fitted for endruo.

I don't know much about the fuel query so can't really comment on that.

Wow great project, I always read your updates but never seem to get round to commenting. I'm in the process of a similar project with a bit smaller budget and if my car turns out half as good as yours i'll be very chuffed! Keep up the good work. Regards James

BMW Z4
A few issues and observations. I dont like the way you have run the fire system. The nozzle you have pointed at the passenger footwell, what it is there for? That nozzle should be pointing at your face/chest. The 2 in the cabin should be at the drivers feet, and the chest as stated above, it is totally redundant in the passenger footwell. I would also of ran a 2 line system from your T, one goes nearside into the engine bay and the other goes offside to the driver. If you really want the nozzles in those positions, you have effectively got 5 Nozzles running running off 1 side of the T piece (how much fluid/pressure do you think the last nozzle will see?). I would have run 2 lines from the T and ran 3 from one and 3 from the other. The positions are off in the bay as well, the third one around in the bay needs to point at the fuel rail, its not doing a great deal pointing at the cam/aux belts. Did you fit 4 nozzles in the bay because you had 4? You only need 3 really, you have 2 pointing at the gearbox for some reason??? If you dont know what i mean, i will do you a pic of what i would have done. The removal of PAS is a very poor choice on a car your intending to run in endurance events. You may regain 5bhp by removing it, but the extra fatique and effort you will have as a result dont outweigh the weight advantage and power gains. In a sprint car (20min sessions) it makes sense, but on an endurance car it really doesnt. Have a look at the various Lemans/VLN/Britcars etc cars that run for 2hrs plus, see how many of them run without it. Finally im not convinced about the Scrutineers judgement on using those grommets for the fuel system, are you sure he said they where ok to use there on the fuel line? You effectively have an open fuel system with that there, the grommet canot seal against fuel getting in, as either vapour or fluid (its not a perfect fit to the line). To create a sealed system, you should have a bulkhead connection with a goodridge (or whatever manufacurers) fittings either side, this is then treated as a sealed system and doesn't require boxing.
Hi Thanks for taking the time to write such comprehensive comments. Ok firstly: 1. The fire system was fitted exactly according to the instructions that came with it and as it is an FIA approved system I assumed the instructions also meet that FIA approval. This is my first race car build of any kind and I and Chrispy have noticed that most of the comments I recieve are generally negative and more importantly are given after the fact! :) It would be MUCH more helpfull if this information was mentioned before I do something as opposed to the generally English trait of slagging off what others are trying to achieve! But to answer your questions: 2. The nozzle in the passenger bay is to cover all the electrics which will be there on a false floor. Had you taken the time to read the whole thread you would have seen this. 3. The nozzels can easily be altered into any desired position, hardly the end of the world! 4. The removal of the PAS is because I am going to spend no small amount of time racing this car in Track day trophy and tin tops. When I get my A license I shall then look at putting together an endurance team but that is a ways off yet and again it is a very small job to refit the PAS. Again this has been mentioned numerous times now. 5. I have spoken to scruts several times and also emailed the one from Britcar who has been most helpfull and friendly. Those grommets are fireproof. Again if I get asked to change them for some sort of through bulkhead fitting I will and again it will be a simple job. What I have learnt from starting this project is that LOTS of people talk a load of s**t! As such I just ring the scrut and also the series organiser and then compare that with FIA and MSA regs. When I was looking for a roll cage I was told by LOTS of people I would not need any paperwork as it only has to be fitted according to FIA specs. Total Bollox. I rang the organisers of the Dubai 24 hour and was told that without the paperwork I would not be allowed to race, that would have been a costly error eh! Custom cages gave me a folder with paperwork and drawings in it that is 6 pages long. So I have learned to pretty much not listen anymore to all the so called knowledgable ones. As such I will make my own mistakes and learn :) I hope that answers your concerns. Mark.. PS I watched touring car at the weekend and the guy had a fire in the car and did'nt even bother to actuate his fire system LOL.

BMW Z4
Try Again :)Hi Thanks for taking the time to write such comprehensive comments. Ok firstly: 1. The fire system was fitted exactly according to the instructions that came with it and as it is an FIA approved system I assumed the instructions also meet that FIA approval. This is my first race car build of any kind and I and Chrispy have noticed that most of the comments I recieve are generally negative and more importantly are given after the fact! It would be MUCH more helpfull if this information was mentioned before I do something as opposed to the generally English trait of slagging off what others are trying to achieve! But to answer your questions: 2. The nozzle in the passenger bay is to cover all the electrics which will be there on a false floor. Had you taken the time to read the whole thread you would have seen this. 3. The nozzels can easily be altered into any desired position, hardly the end of the world! 4. The removal of the PAS is because I am going to spend no small amount of time racing this car in Track day trophy and tin tops. When I get my A license I shall then look at putting together an endurance team but that is a ways off yet and again it is a very small job to refit the PAS. Again this has been mentioned numerous times now. 5. I have spoken to scruts several times and also emailed the one from Britcar who has been most helpfull and friendly. Those grommets are fireproof. Again if I get asked to change them for some sort of through bulkhead fitting I will and again it will be a simple job. What I have learnt from starting this project is that LOTS of people talk a load of s**t! As such I just ring the scrut and also the series organiser and then compare that with FIA and MSA regs. When I was looking for a roll cage I was told by LOTS of people I would not need any paperwork as it only has to be fitted according to FIA specs. Total Bollox. I rang the organisers of the Dubai 24 hour and was told that without the paperwork I would not be allowed to race, that would have been a costly error eh! Custom cages gave me a folder with paperwork and drawings in it that is 6 pages long. So I have learned to pretty much not listen anymore to all the so called knowledgable ones. As such I will make my own mistakes and learn I hope that answers your concerns. Mark.. PS I watched touring car at the weekend and the guy had a fire in the car and did'nt even bother to actuate his fire system LOL.

BMW Z4
I was trying to say that there are an awfull lot of negative comments on my build after each update that could be more constructive, especially if I was told these things before I do something and not after the fact. This IS my first build and there is a lot to learn with motorsport.

182cup & 172 racecar
I was trying to say that there are an awfull lot of negative comments on my build after each update that could be more constructive, especially if I was told these things before I do something and not after the fact. This IS my first build and there is a lot to learn with motorsport.

Mark,it's never ending I'm afraid.

Golf GTD Mk7

fair enough pal. We are a bit of a "hind sight" nation, which ironically has made you see your ass ;)

Qashcow
The last paragraph (well, part of the end of the above writing ;) ) is exactly what I learnt. It's the standard forum-basher response.

From what I've seen for example in the blue book, certain things can mean 1 of 5 things, and is interpreted as such. One scrutineer will read it the same as you, another will argue against it. Prime example is burpspeed not running a handbrake most of a season lol