ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
I'd like to come again Mark, but Cadwell is such an arse to get to from me.

it is for me too, I am coming from Bern

Bus from office to train station = 10 mins
Wait at station = 30 mins
Train to Zurich = 1.20 mins
Wait at airport = 60 mins
Flight = 1.20 mins
bus to Avis = 15 mins
Drive to Peterborough = 100 mins
Drive to Cadwell = 90 mins

Total = 465 mins or 7.75 hours

it is for me too, I am coming from Bern

Bus from office to train station = 10 mins
Wait at station = 30 mins
Train to Zurich = 1.20 mins
Wait at airport = 60 mins
Flight = 1.20 mins
bus to Avis = 15 mins
Drive to Peterborough = 100 mins
Drive to Cadwell = 90 mins

Total = 465 mins or 7.75 hours

Dedication.

Look forward to the write up.

182 trackday racer
What ratio and ramp setting did you get for the gearbox? And race bearings for trhe gearbox? Where did you get them?

BMW Z4
What ratio and ramp setting did you get for the gearbox? And race bearings for trhe gearbox? Where did you get them?

Ill ask them buddy and post it up. I did have it written down but cant find it. The ramp and pre load was on grippers recommend for what I want to do. Bearings Ktech ordered in but not sure where from. Will ask.

TrackCar & F30 330d
The car seems to be turning into a right rocket!!

I cant make it to Cadwell as i'm busy in Austria that weekend but i'll be back in the UK for all of August & September so Hopefully you have a race I can come too :)

Good Luck for next weekend!

BMW Z4
The car seems to be turning into a right rocket!!

I cant make it to Cadwell as i'm busy in Austria that weekend but i'll be back in the UK for all of August & September so Hopefully you have a race I can come too :)

Good Luck for next weekend!

It's getting there mate :)

BMW Z4
Dramas.

Car is running ok but Troy noticed a very small oil leak :( After investigation it is yes you guessed it coming from crank oil seal side so gearbox off! I am told it looks like it is leaking from the side of the main cap, yes where the white s**t goes. Troy rang Renault and was told you use a two part paste that is injected via syringe with the cap fitted. I did not do that I used a white Renault sealant in a tube with the cap out and then fitted the cap back in.

who is right, I guess not me LOL :banghead:

Oh and I am testing on Saturday morning and currently my car has its sump off and gearbox out costing me a fortune in extra work :(

Mildly annoyed :cry:

BMW Z4
God knows Ash but just letting you know it does not only happen to you my friend :)

I am stressed LOL, Troy is stressed as it still needs mapping yet although all other jobs are done. My sealer is apparently correct so my bro is taking the tube to Northampton in the morning for me so Troy can use that. Bloody stupid French design to be fair :nono:

BMW Z4
Cheers Mark got it. Now that is very informative. The sealer I was given is NOT MASTIXO. It is white and Renault but in a tube and not a two part mix with a syringe like MASTIXO is.

God knows Ash but just letting you know it does not only happen to you my friend :)

I am stressed LOL, Troy is stressed as it still needs mapping yet although all other jobs are done. My sealer is apparently correct so my bro is taking the tube to Northampton in the morning for me so Troy can use that. Bloody stupid French design to be fair :nono:
Haha yes that is very true! I have just got out from under my car found even more things that need changing lol!

Honestly Mark let me know if I can help in anyway! You can have my engine for the weekend if you need it lol!

BMW Z4
Well it turns out the sealer I have is MASTIXO just that Renault now don't supply the hardener so it takes 24 hours to go off instead of 2. Car being put back together now. 2 of the sump bullshit star bolts sheared off so we have tapped them out to M8 and fitted cap heads, if I have the engine out again I will do that with all those stupid M7's to be honest. Another classic daft idea from Renault. I know let's fit non standard threads to this engine because no one will have one on the shelf when you need one in a hurry and that will really piss them off.

The phone has not rang now for over 5 hours so I am hopeful there are no further issues.

BMW Z4
A lot went on, I met Ash and I won the race :)

Full report and hopefully video to follow. I say hopefully because it was only at the last minute when I checked my practice video that I saw the front camera was out of focus. I did not have time to alter it and then check it again on my laptop so I altered it and hope I turned it the correct way and the correct amount!

I am knackered!!!!

Was great to meet you the other day Mark and thank you very much for having me for the day :) Was also great to meet Darren and your team! Wish I could of been there yesterday too as it would of been great to see you win!

You should be so proud of the car and all the work you have done to it! I really was bowled over by the immense attention to detail and also the fact that not only does it look great but it is very quick to go with :)

Well done with your first win i'm sure it'll be the first of many Mark! I saw on the live timing on the penultimate lap that the gap to second was 0.08 of a second and I was worried but then you pulled out another 2 seconds so top work :race:

BMW Z4
Was great to meet you the other day Mark and thank you very much for having me for the day :) Was also great to meet Darren and your team! Wish I could of been there yesterday too as it would of been great to see you win!

You should be so proud of the car and all the work you have done to it! I really was bowled over by the immense attention to detail and also the fact that not only does it look great but it is very quick to go with :)

Well done with your first win i'm sure it'll be the first of many Mark! I saw on the live timing on the penultimate lap that the gap to second was 0.08 of a second and I was worried but then you pulled out another 2 seconds so top work :race:

Yeh it was you to Ash. I was very saddened to hear of your troubles over you car but I do feel you have made the correct decisions now and will move forwards. Just don't leave it so long next time before you bail eh ;)

I will check the video tonight and also do a full report.

BMW Z4
Track Day Trophy Round 3 Cadwell Park July 22nd

So to my report of my escapades at Cadwell :)

Troy got the car finally mapped on Friday night and arranged fro Brian to drop it off at the circuit Saturday morning. I had arranged for a power test to be done by Tracktive as they were going to be at the circuit. I was VERY worried about this as I was working on a figure of plus 15bhp over Troys figure and if I was correct that would mean adding another 90kg of ballast LOL

Anyway the car turned up and we set about testing. I got the car down in the 1.45's and was fastest so was very happy all in all with the way it drove and handled too. The EBC pads were totally crap so I binned them and put my trusty F4R’s in (A new set) these came on straight away and I banged in a few more laps trying to learn the circuit. My god it’s dangerous. Over the weekend I think 10 or 15 cars binned it, some quite badly.

I was really pushing for a 1.44 and came down the steep hill towards to the left hander after Mansfield at the bottom and drifted wide, put a wheel on the grass and then was catapulted across the track towards the banking. I managed to scrub off speed but went up the banking sideways and thought here we go it’s gonna roll but it just stopped Pheww and I restarted it and drove back round. I was lucky that all I collected was grass here so we called it a day. I then went to Grimsby and bought nearly £400 of lead for adding ballast on Sunday morning once I knew the power figure.

So Sunday morning I turn up and the car is already on the Dyno and they have a figure. I run over there expecting them to say 190 at the wheels and he says here you go mate 175.9 I fell on the floor and then smiled. At 175.9 I could take OUT the 30kg we had added before LOL

We went back to the awning and weighed the car at 950kg with 10 litres in it and I weigh 89kg with my kit on. So yes we could take out the 30kg and still be in B. This on the face of it is daft because I have rebuilt the car faster and been given a lower power figure BUT it does make sense as the last figure of Troys was obviously accurate and TDIs as we suspected was way out to the high side by about 15bhp. Tracktive obviously have a better calibrated machine as their figure this time as almost the same as Troys this time. So anyway I took the lead back and got a refund, happy days and we set about quali. I set the fastest lap on lap 2 as I had a gap and then got stuck in traffic so called it. Lee just managed to pip me in the closing stages but I was happy with P2 on the front row.

I had a plan in my mind to drop in behind lee and follow him round for a few laps to settle in. I don’t lead races well but I do follow great so I thought it was a good strategy myself. My team didn’t and wanted me to go for it but I took my plan and settled in behind him :) It worked because it took pressure off me and put pressure on Lee. Sadly for him I started to see his tyres going off and he started to drift so I timed my moment and went up his inside at Park after trying a couple of times up the mountain that had not worked. The Ginetta followed me through and then I realised I was in the lead for the first time ever and was being hotly pursued by a very fast Ginetta! There were sections where I was faster and opened a gap and then he closed on his fast sections. I felt pressure and it built and I was also feeling quite ill with heat and my yoga lets not breath technique which by the way does not work at all well on the hot day I can tell you!

We did our pit stop and I lost 10 seconds to him but still came out in front and then there he was again right up my chuffer. By this time I had a grinding from my right rear wheel bearing, a knocking from my front, my tracking was way off and my tyres were going off too! I was also getting a fuel warning light which comes on at 3 litres for me!! I was also knackered and super hot. My car will now get full ventilation as my front bulkhead was like a radiator. I was doing the main straights one handed trying with my other hand to direct air to my face whilst at the same time adopting a more realistic heavy breathing technique. I have never felt so much pressure and I cracked coming down the hill after Mansfield. I locked up went wide on the grass and he nipped past, I slotted in behind him and followed him through the twistys (my best bit) We exited onto the pit straight with me with up his arse and I floored it and got alongside, as we crossed the line he was 0.008 of a second in the lead and would have won but because we had another 20 seconds to run on time we had another lap to do. I just managed to get in front for the left hander at Coppice and floored it round Charlie’s one of my fastest sections to open up a gap as I knew for the hill at the bottom after Mansfield I would have to brake earlier or risk an off again.

Through a couple of back markers and then the glorious flag :) I have never been so happy or glad. I could NOT have carried on at that pace and at one point we were doing 1.44's, God knows where they came from. I need to get fitter and get some ventilation and some heat shielding for my engine bay. My engine build worked as the engine did not leak or blow up so I was also glad about that. I will be pissed if I don’t have a decent video! I noticed at the very last minute my forward camera was not focused and did not have time to do it properly so I hope I turned it the correct way and by the correct amount. Also my rear facing camera was too high.

I won though and I was told the crowd loved it as it was nip and tuck for the whole 45 mins. I then got sprayed in water and champagne and did an interview and it was all worthwhile :)

Loved it and still on a high about it to be honest. I survived Cadwell in my little Clio on a hot day and will never forget it.

Pics and Video to follow..