ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ICE advice (smoking headunit)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Ever since I added a sub/amp, it wasn't quite right. I had interference which sounded really bad when the car was off or at low volume... I mean, it was always there but when you turn it up the problem goes away right
tongue.png

Anyway, I was told the most likely cause was a bad earth. Checked on the amp first but all was good. Next up checked behind the headunit. Now the earth had been plumbed straight into the harness converter which probably isn't the best way to go. So I got a another earth and extended it off to the chassis. Turned the headunit and and no interference!
smile.png
happy days. Turned the car on, and... smoke started pouring out from the headunit. Quickly turned it off and eventually checked the fuse, which had blown. Also noticed that it was 10A when it should be 15A, so replaced with the right one. Tried again and there was still smoke coming out!

Getting kind of annoyed at this point because it just doesn't make any sense. However I thought I'd just put it back to how it was for the time being and try and figure it out another time. So I did that turned the car on to drive away again and, yup, more f**king smoke. What the hell? It was working fine like this before. Checked no wires were shorting out or anything and nope everything's fine. The only thing I left different was having the 15A fuse in there rather than the 10A but can't see that making a difference when it's meant to be 15A in the first place?

So now I have no sounds at all
frown.png
any ideas? I'm dubious to just 'try' things out without knowing for sure as don't want smoke pouring out when I'm in a situation I can't do anything about it.

Bah.