ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i need a CLIO!!!!

HI i am now 17 and after about 16 years of waiting i have got 3 grand towards my first car. However my dad said if i dont make a decision on a car within the next fortnight hes going to make me get a fiesta!.....no. So now i desperately need a clio and am looking at the mark1s, in particular the 1.8 16valve and the 1.4RT. Ive been getting some rediculous quotes of the net (£6350 for the AA) for the valver because thats the model i really want but can some people who own the 1.8 16v (around 17 yrs old) give me their premiums/qoutes? Ill be very gratefull. P.S im gonna modify the car later if i get it and want to know how is it possible to fit "18s on the clio. Is it worth getting the valver or the 1.4 Rt as i dont want to be thrashed ont the insurance because i need spare cash for the mods!

Cheers, Rich

I reckon the RTs are really nice cars but the 16V is a totally different car in every way. Drive both and you will see the difference straight away.

£6350!!!!!!!! thats a joke surely?

silver valver/hybrid

not if hes only 17 mike! probably looking at close to 2k insurance on an rt as a first time driver, is say get the rt, fantastic car, enough power to start with, get some no claims then move up to the valver later.

I say buy a 1.4S bit quicker than RT, nicer spec, although much rarer. Even better if you could find a nicely modded one to start you off already. Also get a monocco Blue one as they are the best clio colour.

How lucky would you be if you found one with koni adjustables, custom twin exit exhaust, induction kit, splitter, dtm mirrors, single wiper and loads of other bits as well as all the original stuff to keep the insurance company happy?

Lets see... who do I know with one of those for sale? ;)

Oh and for £3000 as well!

try shopping around alot and i mean alot for insurance but sadly its getting worse every day a lad at work has just bought his 1st car at 17 and it a 1.0 205 sh*tbox worth about £50 and he is paying £1400 3rd party, thats daylight f*cking robbery if you ask me

Bumder With A Buffer

jesus man £6300 for a valver at 17???? When i was thinking of getting one at that age i got qouted £2560 roughly! for insurance try AA or tesco or even CIS they were cheap when i first started driving. I pay £600 3rd party with AA for my valver at the mo.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

The clio 16v is fast bit of kit. I would seriously consider getting a less model clio as you will probably loose control of it pretty quickly. Driving on the road for the first time whether you can drive a car or not can be a scary experience, you also have to consider your points limit, the valver can top those up very quickly!

I got 6 speeding points in the 1st year of ownership!

The RT is still a nippy motor and the Rsi is also a better decision.

Bumder With A Buffer

Agree with the two posts above, DONT get a valver to start with, get something bit smaller and work up those no claims. there handy

Even the 1.2 has a good amount of power! Who needs more than 60bhp when their 17???

I got a 1.4 and im 18 and its just rite for me :)

Thanks for all these quick replies lads, i love this site! Ive been raking through my southern auto trader and have decided to get the 1.4 RT, i see aaronc says the Rsis a good buy but arent they 1.8s?

Rsi is a 1.8 8v. Nice car, nice engine but insurance would probably still be crippling.

I payed £1680 fully comp for my First year on the 1.4. (this year)

Thats with Liverpool Victoria

Clio 172

im payin £850 fully comp on a 1.2 with co-op (CIS) they seemed best at time (im 18) + the AA r complet w*nk they quoted me 4 grand.... tw*ts

Ive heard that the 1.4s Maxim is a good ride, so i searched the trader site but the maxims have the rounder shape headlights. Is there an equivalant of the maxim but of the very first style with the squarer headlights?

Youll be lucky to get insured on the 1.4, id personally get a 1.2 and begin the search of getting second hand parts to making it a valver replica.

Most insurance companies dont allow mods until your 18/19, the only one i know who doesnt mind is Liverpool Victoria, but theyre premiums are high for young drivers.

Im 18 with a new clio 1.2 16v and pay £2300 (with a 30% CSMA discount). I can only afford it because i have a full time job.

-Rob

Tell you what buy my car and I will throw in a pair of latest spec Punto headlights (HID type) so you can have them transplanted. (I was going to do this but am now selling)

:)

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

i paid £1300 tpft when i was 19 on my valver, now i pay £1700 comp on mywilly and now im 21, go for the rt get some driving experience build up your no claims bonus then think about getting a valver!!!!

CTR EK9 turbo

or just get an AX GT or 205 XS, theyre gonna be cheap and youd probably have money left over to insure them.

I didnt read most the posts but with 3K you wont go wrong with a 1997 1.4 S, exactly what Ive got, amazing first car. 1100 Fully Comp insurance with Norwich Union with pass pluss.

Get a 1.4RT its only group 5 insuance. My insurance was £900 tpft when i bought it as my first car when i just turned 18. There is enough power for a first car as your still getting experience, its actually quite nippy and handles well. As someone said get some nice alloys and it will look good.

Go for it matey.

Burgandy 174 sport t

try actual renault insurance they done ok for me (20, 1 NCB, 2 SMASHES APPARANTLY MY FAULT, FOR 709 FC ON CLIO DCI)

I agree get the RT. Mine only cost me £835 FC with No NCB at 19 with full exhaust sytem, lowered and 16s... Liverpool V are very good, excess is quite steep though, so dont crash!

Take a look in the Sales forum, plenty of RTs for sale in there.

BTW... Why are Maxims faster?

I HAD MY VALVER AT 17 PAYING £4200 TPFT 20 NOW WITH 3 YEARS NO CLAIMS PAYING £850 FULLY COMP, WORTH WAITING I WASTED ABOUT £8000 ON INSURACE SAVE THAT AND YOU WILL HAVE ONE NICE VALVER AT THE END

/\ Yes dont do what he did.

If your in a low crime area a 1.4 RT, S or Maxim S will be no problems to insure... Go with the 1.4 S 1997, youll get used to the phase 3 features..

What do ya get with the sport? its an Rsi with a 1.4 energy engine, so you get Semi-Bucket seats, drivers air bag, PAS, 3 door, Elecrtic windows, sunroof, v.nice dark blue etc.

try norwich union for insurance, they seemed the cheapest to me, im 19 for tpft for my valver its 1500 get the rt though for your first car

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

wow...Im amazed at how much it costs to get insured for your first car these days, I had no idea it cost so much! (Ill tell you some figures now, but they dont really relate to your predicament)

...Im with norwich union direct and I currently have a 1999, 1.2 clio grande (16V I think)...Im 27, I had an accident in January but luckily I have protected no claims (phew!), so Ive got like 6 or 7 years of no claims...Im currently paying around £300 a year fully comp...however...

Ive just bought a 172 (Delivery in the middle of october though :( ) and the cheapest quote Ive had so far is £510 fully comp - thats with norwich union direct, all the other quotes Ive had were for 2 drivers on the car and they all sat at around £600 mark...

Its more than likely with a higher spec car youll only be able to afford third party - think how sick youd be if you damaged it.....

Im with these guys when they say go for a much lower spec car - In the process of getting a lower spec car youll:

1) Save Money On The Car

2) Save Money On The Insurance

3) Providing you dont crash it youll build up NCB which will help you when you move up to a better more powerful car...

I started off with a second hand peugeot 205 (960CC!), I probably had that for about 4-5 years (For 3 years it sat in my parents garage while I was at uni), then I bought my Clio (new - and my insurance was reasonable) and now Im moving up again to a 172....

Theres always the option of being a named driver on your parents insurance, you wont build up any NCB but you may get cheaper insurance....

Adrian