ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I have a genius appointment this evening

Sunflower Ph1 172
I bought my Macbook Pro 13" August 2011.

The first problem I had was the touchpad cracking. There is a very thin layer of glass on he touchpad which smashed when I dropped a small speaker on it. It has worked perfectly ever since, but is just a little unsightly. I know this was my own fault, so I didn't bother making an appointment.

However about a month ago I kept having an intermittent problem with one of the USB port. It would charge my phone but wouldn't transfer data (wouldn't sync with itunes for exampl) and wouldn't recognise any external storage. The problem has since gone away (for no known reason).

About 2 weeks ago when I was in france (after not using the laptop for about 6 days) I started it up.. got the grey startup screen and then the screen just went off. It did this every time I tried to start up. The 4th or 5th time I tried I picked up the laptop and turned it on it's side, and it started up normally.

Since returning back to the UK (and having not used it for another week or so, it's been faultless. However it falls out of warrantee next month and I'll be screwed if it has the same problems again.

Anyone encountered these problems, and have any idea what Apple will do about it? As it's seemigly working fine at the moment.

Re: I have a geius appointment this evening

You can tell from the logs if there is an issue with hardware.

Sunflower Ph1 172

You can tell from the logs if there is an issue with hardware.

ah right ok, well I have no idea what caused the problems or what fixed them. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me and fix it. I'm just hoping they don't say "nah it's fine" and then the same issues crop up again when it's out of warrantee.

LY 182

Why didn't you get Apple Care?

Well worth it. I've had my MacBook a little over 2 years now and have had to get a load of things done the past few weeks which has saved me loads of money.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Why didn't you get Apple Care?

Well worth it. I've had my MacBook a little over 2 years now and have had to get a load of things done the past few weeks which has saved me loads of money.

The price has always put me off.

Anyway, they opened up my MBP as they thought possibly the logicboard or the harddrive may be loose. Turns out everything was seated correctly and no obvious problems. They also ran a diagnostic test and found there was no problems there either. However, they have opened a case on the issues, so if it falls out of warantee and the problem arises again there is more of a chance of them repairing it for free as I have reported the issue.

Laptop has been woking fine since. Strange issue.