ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I cant drive anymore :(

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

car insurance ran out today!!

im stuck with what to do!

Either pay it monthly, £200 deposit and £70 a month for the next 10 months or so! including £150+ of interest!

or

Pay the full £830, have no monthly payments to worry about, and save the interest! but.....it will seriously damage my bank balance! iv only just started working full time since uni, so not had chance to save up that much money yet! iv only got about £1500 to play with (which was suppose to be going towards throttle bodies)

Also got xmas shopping to think about and road tax runs out at the end of the month! Not to mention lots of piss ups to attend to!

what ya reckon?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Id go monthly.

If your just renewing your policy though you shouldnt have to pay a deposit. Or is it a diff company?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

yeah its a diff company! They are happy with any mods, wont charge hardly anything for the throttle bodies, and will let me drive any other car 3rd party so i had to swap companies! the so called performance one i was with was fussy about mods!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 15 December 2004
Credit Card...0% on purchases then pay it in full

after being a student till 24, my credit card it that well used i didnt even have to cut it up once i got a job! ;)

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Id pay monthly but Id probably try and find an insurer that will let you pay 12 equal monthly payments without a deposit and little or no interest.

sainsburys 12 month interest free on purchases credit card, pay off monthly, thats what ive done, admiral want £150 to pay monthly, fc.uk that!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

my CC is has had some hammer, sont want to put any more on it!

there are only a couple of insurers that are mod friendly! they had to be able to insure TBies and not many would!

hmmmm ill have a good think! any other time would be ok, its just as its xmas! need lots of £££ to spend!

Yaris Hybrid

Hmm most students I speak to seem to think that when they graduate with their 2:2 in Sociology (pmsl) there will be hundreds of employers fighting to take them on at £25k a year.

What went wrong with you! Surely you should have £830 in loose change!

Do some over time or work evenings in a supermarket, just make sure you pay it all in one go. Dont let them rip you off with interest charges, some people dont earn £150 for doing 40 hours hard work!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Ask your mum / Dad to put it on their credit card, swap that to an interest free and pay it iwthin the 6 months.

Or just pay that card of ASAP.

I begrudge paying interest on things like that.

My Dad lends me the money then I pay him back when I can.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 15 December 2004Hmm most students I speak to seem to think that when they graduate with their 2:2 in Sociology (pmsl) there will be hundreds of employers fighting to take them on at £25k a year.
What went wrong with you! Surely you should have £830 in loose change!
Do some over time or work evenings in a supermarket, just make sure you pay it all in one go. Dont let them rip you off with interest charges, some people dont earn £150 for doing 40 hours hard work!

iv only been working a few months since I left uni. My plan is to get a couple of years experiance with a very large IT company (as i am doing now) then move on to something with much better possibilities! still got LOTS of debts to pay off! youll find most employers want at least a 2:1 as well

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

oh aye and my ex bird who i was at uni with is on £22k with a little £10k welcome bonus!

hmmmm maybe she will pay it for me!! haha

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

With a degree from Hallam?

I think mines gonna be worth about the equivalent of a SAT or something.

Yaris Hybrid

I dont know anyone with a degree that has started on more than 15k and I am talking about people with 2:1s or better in proper subjects not the usual mickey mouse ones!

If someone applies for a job with us and they have a degree in media studies, sociology or psychology their application goes in the bin!!!!!

Yeah a 2:1 is the minimum people want as they know a 2:2 is just marks for turning up. If you get a 2:2 just pretend on your CV that you never went to Uni bet spent a few years travelling!

Do you have the option of paying over a few months as opposed to a whole year but with just a small interest payment? I paid my first ever lot of bike insurance when I was 17 like that but I guess it comes down to the broker.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 15 December 2004

I dont know anyone with a degree that has started on more than 15k and I am talking about people with 2:1s or better in proper subjects not the usual mickey mouse ones!

If someone applies for a job with us and they have a degree in media studies, sociology or psychology their application goes in the bin!!!!!

Yeah a 2:1 is the minimum people want as they know a 2:2 is just marks for turning up. If you get a 2:2 just pretend on your CV that you never went to Uni bet spent a few years travelling!

Do you have the option of paying over a few months as opposed to a whole year but with just a small interest payment? I paid my first ever lot of bike insurance when I was 17 like that but I guess it comes down to the broker.
Total and utter b****cks.

Revels Mum & Sister

As Pete said UTTER HORSEsh*t!

I got a First in Computer Science and presently earn well more than 15K, not saying how much as that is my business. As does a mate of mine who qualified with a 2:1. I only graduated in July

There were several people on my course who got 2:2 and have jobs that pay pretty well. And these were of the back of the Degree, you have to do a little more than "Turn up" to just get a 2:2

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

dunno mate, iv started on over £15k and thats just a starter wage, but the main reason im in this job is because it is working for one of the top 5 IT outsourcing and solutions companies worldwide, and a few years experiance will help me out no end with getting future jobs! i got a 2:1 in BSc honours Business Information Systems/management.

my ex bird absolutely pissed it, shes clever as fuk, she got the highest grade out of 300+ students hence on top dollar now!

Yaris Hybrid

I work in IT, and I am sorry but computer science graduates dont know sh1t. They are fine on theory but when you get down to the real business they are to naive too apply anything they know.

Ask most people in the industry and they dont have much respect for newly qualified graduates. I wouldnt pay them more than £12k a year, indeed thats what most of them get at my place until they can prove themselves. There are people who come to our organisation from working in supermarkets and turn out to be far more valuable assets than any of our graduates employees.

Dont know if it is different in London where salaries are higher but in my area you tend to be paid what you are worth - unless you have contacts or went to the right school...

im looking to earn 16k on my placement, as an UNDER-grad, so near 20k after graduation. BTW, Craig, dont insure your car, sell it me. save lots of money!

Yaris Hybrid

We have at least twenty applicants for every graduate placement post.

Good luck negotiating your salary....

In fairness I am in an area with a large gender and age imbalance, the population is made up mainly of highly skilled young males and this messes up the labour market in terms of salaries.

I work in IT, and I am sorry but computer science graduates dont know sh1t. They are fine on theory but when you get down to the real business they are to naive too apply anything they know.

Ask most people in the industry and they dont have much respect for newly qualified graduates. I wouldnt pay them more than £12k a year, indeed thats what most of them get at my place until they can prove themselves. There are people who come to our organisation from working in supermarkets and turn out to be far more valuable assets than any of our graduates employees.

Dont know if it is different in London where salaries are higher but in my area you tend to be paid what you are worth - unless you have contacts or went to the right school...
What area are you in, up north or the back of beyond?

Did you go to university Toypop?

Yaris Hybrid

I graduated some years back and earn a fairly decent salary now.

I am in the West of England. Fair few Universitys pumping out loads of graduates but most of the jobs here are low skilled. So if we advertise for graduates at £12k a year they are queuing up as its better than Asda or Burger King - we aint gonna offer them £20k in those cirumstances are we!

Why dont you sell the 16v, get a cheaper to insure car. Get your decent job then save up for something mega fast? You cant make 2+2 = 5 so either get your pants pulled down and pay £150 interest or get cheaper insurance...

I wouldnt say a 2:2 is a waste of a degree at all, any degree is something to put on your C.V my bro got a 3rd in chemistry from umist and now earns 22k a year after working in a laboratory for only 3 years.

If your company bins all the applications from 2:2 graduates or below your human resouces department wants its head looking at.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

its not the cost of the insurance at all, its the fact that im considering spending a fat chunk of my cash just before xmas that is my concern! plus its not just a clio 16v! its my 205bhp/ton pride and joy :)

Yaris Hybrid

I applied for an advert that had three posts going at a local employer. They were 300 applications for those posts. It was too many to filter down so they held an exam (spatial awareness and IQ test type questions) and the top 12 got an interview. I have no doubt that some people with a 1st didnt even get an interview as I bet more than 12 of those 300 had a 1st!

Holding an exam is not something we can do for reasons I cant discuss here so the other option is too weed people out in other ways. Chucking away a 2:2 wont bother anyone when they end up rejecting 1sts as well.

Surely you can get cars with 205bhp per tonne as standard that cost less to insure?

Yaris Hybrid

Not it aint, Ive driven and ridden vehicles with double that.

I know someone who got way more than that by supercharging a 1.3 Suzuki Swift. His insurance is a lot less than Adams_16vs. I will try and find out who he got it with.

well it depends what you would calss as ridiculous, 205bhp/ton on a grp 12 car is RIDICULOUS imo, considering the TypeR and 172/182 are much slower and around grp 17-18