ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i cant decide= bike or car

none, just walk

i know this is a very long running debate

BUT

im just about to get a new car cos ive got about 2-3 grand and i had my heart set on a willy or 16v and then i got a copy of the latest streetfighters magazine and well.... its thrown a whole new spanner in the works-

the only factor is i cant ride a bike yet so im thinking about getting a crappy honda cg125 to do my test and find my bearings and then move onto a cruiser or a beast out of streetfighters

what do you think?

I did my CBT on a CG125 and fell off it lol !!!!!

Bikes are awesome, amazing power for what they cost. Few mates have had nasty accidents on Bikes but only about the same amount that have had bad accidents in cars.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

bike is more of a weekend thrill machine - u cant get 3 mates on a bike!. Get a car then save up and get a bike

LOL RobFenn, my thoughts exactly! my wife wont let me near anything with 2 wheels given the amount of damage I did with a Vespa when I was a yoof.

bike bike bike bike bike bike, urm bike theres no car on this site that will beat a bike its the ultimate frill ride, well till u fall off or get knocked off but u will fall off if u dont your just extremely lucky, get a bike man,

get a car first do your bike test so u can get a good bike done ponce around with 125s not worhte the money gotta go big

Yeah bikes are good, but as someone said you cant take your mates with you anywhere. If your a Billy no mates then bike, otherwise car first then a bike aswell for the extra thrills.

Bikes = Donor Machines

The bike air bag is rather literal

Go for the car....or buy both and have the bike just for summer days out.

Motorbikes are very nice and youll get a hell of a lot more of a bike for £3k than you would of a Williams. Youd get a nice 16V for the money though!

Just spent £2.5k myself on a mountain bike. I have cheaper cars that dont depreciate to help me fund my MTB habit! Otherwise Id have been in a Clio V6 a long time ago!

Get a bike then wack a Turbo on it.

Seen a video of someone who did that. Amazing the speedo moves faster than a Rev counter on an F1 car.

Get a 400 to start with cos once your happy on the road you will soon be urching for more!!

Just remember to go steady and think before you act ;)

Quote: Originally posted by bigpoppa81 on 22 March 2004

i know this is a very long running debate

BUT

im just about to get a new car cos ive got about 2-3 grand and i had my heart set on a willy or 16v and then i got a copy of the latest streetfighters magazine and well.... its thrown a whole new spanner in the works-

the only factor is i cant ride a bike yet so im thinking about getting a crappy honda cg125 to do my test and find my bearings and then move onto a cruiser or a beast out of streetfighters

what do you think?
You dont need to buy a bike to do your test. Im not completely sure what the latest rules/laws are about riding bikes coz I passed my test years ago, but if you are serious I would suggest you go about it like this...

1) Buy a car, like people have said, you cant take your mates out on a bike or carry alot of gear, I know that I couldnt manage with only a bike, then..

2) Pass a CBT and (if you are 21) for £400/500 you can do a Direct Access course to get a full bike license. The cost covers the hire of a bike and equipment, instruction and in most cases the cost of the test. If youre not 21 you can pass the basic test then wait until your license automatically upgrades to a full bike license.

3) Pass the bike test then, assuming you are 21, start saving for the bike and all the other equipment youll need - helmet, gloves, boots, leathers. You can get a great bike for £2-3000, but youll need about £300+ to get some 1/2 decent kit, and bike insurance can be steep too! If youre not 21 (or you are but want to get on a bike straight away, or take a cheaper option) pass the basic test, buy some good kit, then a cheaper, smaller bike (IIRC it would have to be restricted to 33bhp - thats more bikes than you think) brush up you riding skills then trade up when your license automatically gets the full bike entitlement.

Youll find riding schools offering the DAS courses and rider training in your local paper, or at your local bike dealers - give then a call see whats involved and how much itll cost.

There is a BUT, and its been said, you are alot more vunerable as a motorcyclist (thats why good kit is essential), you only have to read your local paper or look at the local news on TV or the internet to find articles every week about motorcyclist who have died or been seriously injured. It isnt always the bikers fault (sometimes it is), but as a minority group of road users, IIRC motorcyclists are the user group with the highest injury and death statisics (followed by pedestrians). I can speak from experience and say that a month in hospital, operations, being stuck at home, 6 months on crutches and 12 months physiotherapy isnt fun.

However, also from experience, nothing beats having a blast on your bike around the twisties in the sunshine early one Sunday moring before all the cars get in the way!

No car is as exiting as a bike and I only have a ZX6R so GSXR1000 etc must be reallly mental and they are very tempting as you dont have to spend more than 3k to get 0-60 in 3ish and 150mph+. However similarly to eightball but not quite as bad by the sound of it, had a relatively minor off last year, ended up in hospital for 4 days, off work, physio whatever. And I only actually broke my hand, but damaged knees, foot and many aches elsewhere.

Would have definately been much worse was it not for full leathers, decent boots etc as I slid down the road for 50m or more. If you get a bike decent clothing is a must.

Still absolutely love the bike, but sadly it is now for sale as my wife and baby have made my mind up that enough is enough for a minute.

Ive got two words for you:

Winter....

One of the guys I work with comes to work on a bike and he looks an absolute state in the winter (which seems to be most of the year in this country). Id much rather be sat in a nice warm car, being a lazy b*****d. Although I would like a bike for summer but I havent got a garage to keep it in.

This is turning into a bike/car vendetta.

When I was younger I rode round in the winter and enjoyed the best of the summers.

Now Im older I dont do the winter.

But to be a real biker you have to experiance the whole thing at least once.

I dont drive my car as a winter substiute, if I did I would by some old piece of sh*t to get by till the road salt stopped being thrown down.

Point is both cars and bikes are great, but if you really want to experiance the thrill of speed and the challange of man and machine you have to ride a fast sports bike.

I have never driven a ferrari though, but I doubt it would beat the bike experiance.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by andrewm on 23 March 2004

Ive got two words for you:

Winter....

One of the guys I work with comes to work on a bike and he looks an absolute state in the winter (which seems to be most of the year in this country). Id much rather be sat in a nice warm car, being a lazy b*****d. Although I would like a bike for summer but I havent got a garage to keep it in.

Sorry but thats only 1 word ;)

It pains me to say it but you would be better off in a car. Winter is a major factor. I have been riding for over 13 years on the road and about 10 years off road before that but the bike dont get a looking during winter. I am lucky I have both a car and a bike but the bike is strictly a warm weather tool and a fcuking quick one at that.

IMO the ultimate adrenalin rush for me is on a fast sports bike.

Volvo S60 D5

I love the thrill of being on two wheels, but to be honest in this country the only time Im out is between May-September. 5 months tops, and half of that time its either raining or too damn cold.

Granted, on a really sunny and warm day the thrill of being on two wheels is a LOT more than sat in a car, even with air con or a sunroof lol, but when its wet and cold, being on a bike loses its novelty after a few rides!

Id say get a car, but get a bike when you can afford to!

Im 20. Did CBT when i was 17, the did car test when 18, did my full bike test when i was 19.

Got a 100cc moped to get me to college when i was 18/19. Did the job, now i got a car. Did the full bike test to validate my cbt, and i can ride any bike in the future. 2 year restriction runs out this dec ;)

Personally Id go for a car, but get a bike when u can afford it.

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 23 March 2004

i spent 3 grand on a mountain bike!!

Youre mad! Ah well, whatever floats your boat I guess :cool:

(Whats wrong with my £279 Carerra (sp?) bike?! :oops:

Bikes - great in the summer, but a complete and total and utter ballache in winter.

To ride a bike all year round you need to love riding. The fact that you might save a few quid and a few minutes in winter traffic will not comfort you when your nuts are about to freeze off. Or youre having to hose the salt off the bike every weekend. Or it takes you half an hour to get in and out of your riding clothes. And that you need a service every 2k.

Hence the reason for both my Clio and my bike!! (and to think, i could buy a valver with the cost of my bike :confused:). Come on... there must be other riders out there to back me up?