ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I cant be the only one.

C2 vts
Everyday i look at new cars and the begining of next year im adamant to get a brand new car.
But everytime i get in the clio and drive it i cant bring myself to get rid.
I cant be the only one right?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
They do have a hold over you mate.

My 197 has caused me nothing but headaches, stress and a lack of money but I still can't bite the bullet and get rid.

C2 vts
Like today finally got my exhaust sitting right and i cant bring myself to put it on ebay now lol. Keep it untill january i think

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Like today finally got my exhaust sitting right and i cant bring myself to put it on ebay now lol. Keep it untill january i think
We'll be having this same conversation in December 2016 mate.

Not worth keeping the Clio as a secondary car and maybe getting a nicer daily that suits your needs better?

C2 vts
I dont use the car only on the weekends but i fancy a new car like. And the deals they have on at the mo are brilliant like.
But i can see you being right there

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Sold mine a few months back and I do miss it.

But I love my Beemer so I won't be going back to a Clio for the foreseeable future.

clio 172
Tell me about it.... Mines just a weekend car so I convince myself during the 7-10 days between drives that it's a waste of money with insurance, tax, bit of a childish car etc... Then I drive the bloody thing and it's fantastic and I'm back to square one!

C2 vts
Tell me about it.... Mines just a weekend car so I convince myself during the 7-10 days between drives that it's a waste of money with insurance, tax, bit of a childish car etc... Then I drive the bloody thing and it's fantastic and I'm back to square one!
That is exactly how i feel. Seeing the tax and insurance go out of my bank each month and thinking theres no point in paying for a car that does 400ish miles a month yet i cant get rid

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
This is exactly how I am with mine...
However mine has the added benefit of throwing a fit at me every now and then, like at the moment it's got a rediculous missfire!! And as it's just a weekend car then I'm loosing the will to keep sorting it!!

Breaker in the making for mine I thing

clio 172
My justification for keeping it is as follows chaps:

1. Performance per £. I'm not sure this can be beaten for £1500. Easily the most fun you can have in a car that price. it feels like the 172 was built for the North Yorkshire roads I drive. Takes a serious car to worry me.

2. Cheap to fix. Yes they do break (right now I need a new speedo sensor, tie rods, couple of other bits.) but these are seriously cheap parts.... Looking at a Subaru, m3, ie next step up performance wise, I won't be able to pick up two inner tie rods and ball joints for 40 squid off eBay!

3. Not being frightened of pranging it on track or someone bumping it in a car park.. It's cheap ... and wings and bumpers are pence.... Hasn't happened thankfully but I'm aware of it if it does

4. Serious, serious performance (turbo, supercharger) is only 3-4K away.

5. A really solid owners club where you can get an answer to practically any question or problem, tons of parts cheap

6. Personally I have a horrible 1.9 diesel Seat as a company car which without the Clio to offset would suck the soul out of my joy of driving

7. Realistically my insurance at 25yrs old with 3 points, no ncb (no crashes - just used to swap cars and policies like my boxers therefore never built up a full year, with all my mods (plenty!) declared at 600 isn't bad at all.

8. Not actually that much of a nightmare to work on (sometimes ha), a lot can be done yourself to save costs compared to more complicated engines

9. It would annoy me having a car of more value like an m3 sat there for 10 days at a time - I would really be considering the money I had sat in it.

What a ramble that is but I literally just spent 3 hours chatting about it with our lass and looking at other cars and frankly I'm not sure I can beat the Clio. Ramble over.

C2 vts
The cars they are for the money they hold are perfect like. Atleast i know its not just me in this circumstance

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I still contest that the clio is the absolute best car of its price range. It's practical, frugal on petrol, goes well and so on. Yeah, the reliability's terrible and the interior is a bit crap but nobody cares because it's a £1500 car.

There are of course better cars out there, but not in the same category as the clio. The new car is way quicker, way better built and just way better overall, however it doesn't detract from the excitement you get from hopping in the clio and giving it death. It just wants you to play 100% of the time and rewards you for it.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
The problem with selling them is they are worth f**k all really unless you have something pretty special but even still.. If I sold mine the money it would leave would buy me what? Nothing decent and I'm not interested in cars enough any more to invest my savings into it so I'm just going to keep it until it breaks so badly I don't consider it worth fixing lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
After more clios than I can count I sold up and bought another Impreza.

Best thing I've bought in ages and cost less than a years tax on some cars! Lol

The only thing is, as (much) more capable this thing is on the road, on track the Clio would destroy it. So go all the track days I do, I'll have to buy another bloody Clio! Lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I always want a new, or nearly new car, I can't do it due to the depreciation more than anything else.

immaculate clio 172
Having owned many more expensive cars over the years to include modded mk1 focus Rs, mk5 Golf Gti in 2009 etc I can honestly say that my £2500 clio 182 is by far the most fun I've had for the money
New cars do take my fancy quite often, even had a new golf R on order until I changed my mind and cancelled it
We have a safe reliable Golf GTD as weekend family car and I have the little 182 for blasting to work in and generally havi g bit of cheap fun

Yes the ClioSports have there fair share of issue but you have to love to hate them, had a spirited blast to work this morning and walked into the workshop chuckling to myself!

Being 30+ now with a 2 year old daughter im more interested in blasting cash off my mortgage than wasting 10's of thousands on depreciation of a new car that will spend 90% of its life sat on my driveway or works carpark

Just my 2 pence worth (maybe im too sensible/getting old) 😂

I thought that until I actually got the new car (quite gutted to sell it, I didn't really need to), and now I really honestly don't miss the Clio. It was good, but I have way more creature comforts, and more power when I need/want it.

immaculate clio 172
I thought that until I actually got the new car (quite gutted to sell it, I didn't really need to), and now I really honestly don't miss the Clio. It was good, but I have way more creature comforts, and more power when I need/want it.

But surely unless your going to take a new much faster hot hatch on track days etc then it's just a waste as can't truly enjoy and appreciate it driving on uk roads that are ridden with cameras and general idiot drivers etc!

I have all the creature comforts in the GTD not to mention the huge financial savings over the likes of a golf R or new type R etc plus I get to have 99% of the golf R fun in my 2.5k clio :tonguewink:

As aid above i test drove and ordered a golf R earlier this year but cancelled it
Was a lovely thing but certainly didn't set the world on fire like I was expecting!
Put simply my 9k focus would have murdered it on a dry day :cool:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Bought mine as a temporary measure to last a few months, and am just over a year into ownership. To be honest, driving to work, it does my head in. It's noisy, uncomfortable and has no equipment on it. But, the smile it puts on your face when you're in the mood, makes it a very difficult car to get rid of. I regularly drive much newer, much "better" cars, but the Clio still impresses me massively. It is a hugely capable and rewarding car.

I am going to have to buy something newer in the new year, but I will be very reluctant to let the little Cup go, so I might not!

immaculate clio 172
I was taking your post seriously until the last line, am oot.

Obviously not driven a properly sorted mk1 Rs then mate
Ive driven both therefore gives me the ability to give honest oppinion

Golf R is fantastic but is it worth 3 times the RS... No
Simple Live map and sports cat see's 320bhp in the Rs making it a bargain in comparison!

Each to there own anyway buddy but for me I just couldn't bring myself to part with 30k+ For a VW Golf hence why I cancelled it and got deposit back!

Market will soon be flooded with red poverty spec golf R's that are all finishing the 2 year lease deals that they were offered on which will surely see the residual value suffer

Im also ooot 😂

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
But surely unless your going to take a new much faster hot hatch on track days etc then it's just a waste as can't truly enjoy and appreciate it driving on uk roads that are ridden with cameras and general idiot drivers etc!

I have all the creature comforts in the GTD not to mention the huge financial savings over the likes of a golf R or new type R etc plus I get to have 99% of the golf R fun in my 2.5k clio :tonguewink:

As aid above i test drove and ordered a golf R earlier this year but cancelled it
Was a lovely thing but certainly didn't set the world on fire like I was expecting!
Put simply my 9k focus would have murdered it on a dry day :cool:
LOL.
Okay. 99%

It's a different type of 'fun'. I would burn my Clio to the ground if I had to drive it day in day out in its current track guise (which is the most 'fun').
I choose the golf 99% of the time because it is better to drive apart from trackdays.

A test drive doesn't really allow you fully explore a car.

Yeah, different needs for different people - I have no desire to go on track, and most of my journeys right now are either commuting, or down to events etc which are long journeys - I had no desire to do that in my Clio any longer. Also, having driven both, and having both, I can tell you I have just as much fun in the Golf.

immaculate clio 172
LOL.
Okay. 99%

It's a different type of 'fun'. I would burn my Clio to the ground if I had to drive it day in day out in its current track guise (which is the most 'fun').
I choose the golf 99% of the time because it is better to drive apart from trackdays.

A test drive doesn't really allow you fully explore a car.

Your comparing the golf the the clio which is worth 15 times less but is the golf 15 times or even twice as good... No
My previous post referred to the mk1 Focus Rs in terms of value for money performance etc

As already said only my oppinion and each to there own etc the best all round daily golf is by far the GTD for many reasons

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Your comparison is just as ridiculous though?

Anyway, just to add, I hate my Clio. I'd rather have a boring, family car any day over it. I despise it! I'll be replacing it as soon as I can, and doubt I'll get another.

clio 182 sport
I think about getting rid of my 182 for something else. .but just can't do it .
especially when I drive my taxi most of the time, and only drive the clio maybe once or twice a week if I'm lucky. ...but when I do it's worth the wait as I just love the fun factor of getting out my cab and going for a good blast....makes it all worthwhile keeping her:smile::cool:

RB182cup&golf gti
I'm in the same boat. Pick up my new car tomorrow and cleaned the 182 up last week to sell. Looked so mint that I decided to sorn it instead and keep it in the garage. Stupid really but seems too good to part with.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The thought to rid my 182 has never entered my mind. I wouldn't even know what I would replace it with... I want it forever!
I agree. The thought of selling hasn't even entered my head yet after 18 months. It's too fun to drive, really is a brilliant all rounder imo. Enough in car comforts to make it decent to todays standard, cruise, auto lights and wipers yet when you come to a country road it feels so nimble and capable. Love it.

2005 182 cliosport
nearly had my 182 four years and haven't ever thought about selling it. I drive mine 40 miles a day and never have a dull moment.
the best bit is all those French noises that give me countless Saturday mornings trying to locate....

RB Clio 182
Ive had my 182 over 3 years, I loved it when it was standard, spent almost twice as much as the car was worth on a turbo build and now I hate it.

I just think money pit! I love the speed and the enjoyment when its working, but boosting it has caused too many problems that it has taken the enjoyment out of it for me.

I hardly ever see the car anymore, if its was more reliable it would be an amazing car, it was perfect standard and I regret boosting it a lot.

clio 182 sport
was thinking of boosting my 182...but decided against it, as seen to many posts saying that they wish they never did it!
keeping mine with minimal mods and enjoying it when I can...other than work:wink: and love too much to sell now, with some few more mods left to do:cool:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Ive had my 182 over 3 years, I loved it when it was standard, spent almost twice as much as the car was worth on a turbo build and now I hate it.

I just think money pit! I love the speed and the enjoyment when its working, but boosting it has caused too many problems that it has taken the enjoyment out of it for me.

I hardly ever see the car anymore, if its was more reliable it would be an amazing car, it was perfect standard and I regret boosting it a lot.
This makes me sad :(

Clio172 phase 1
I purchased an original phase 1 back in year 2000. I paid 16k for it and it had a sticker set on it vent axia etc. I had taken in my blue 1.8 16v (mint) for a service!!!!! A very clever salesman soon had me in the 172 and before I was aware we was talking figures. Lord only knows what happened to the valver... At the time I didn't care. I'm now 36 and have recently purchased a £500 black phase 1 and to be honest I pay it more attention that my blobeye scooby with blaaaah bhp. These things are really addictive and for very little money my £500 is now a strong runner still with only 99k on the clock.

immaculate clio 172
Turbo sounds like a great idea in pub talk but in reality it's just not necessary in a strong 172/182 as they are just so balanced anyway in both performance and handling

I'm actually really enjoyibg owning a nippy fwd car that I can generally have fun in preety much all the time without the worry of it coming on boost in even mildly damp conditions and lighting the wheels up 😂

As said already
Hard pushed to find a better all round fun car for the money