ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I am an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
If there's slight movement you haven't done the bolts up tight enough or the mating faces are dirty

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
But that slight movement I am talking about actually caused the wheels to be off center. :/

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Your wife has a lot to answer for with you and your car shenanigans...

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know how to explain this any simpler.

If if the bolts are tight and the mating faces are clean, then the wheel will turn straight and not cause vibration (as long as it's balanced and not bent)

if if the bolts are tight and it's not turning straight you have an issue. Like dirty mating faces, a bolt bottoming out or something

Many.
Don't know how to explain this any simpler.

If if the bolts are tight and the mating faces are clean, then the wheel will turn straight and not cause vibration (as long as it's balanced and not bent)

if if the bolts are tight and it's not turning straight you have an issue. Like dirty mating faces, a bolt bottoming out or something

This this this.

You might be welsh, but you are right.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Actually it's not as simple as just tightening bolts up.

Speaking from experience you need the spigot rings to ensure the wheel is centred. If you are relying on bolts alone then tightening them gradually together can get it about right.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Nope i don't :p

Didn't manage to get the car past 60Mph on way home due to some SLOW people.

Will have to wait for my motorway trip to work to see if what i have done tonight has any effect on the wobbling.

I have lined up a set of Hubs for the car for a very tidy price (£ 40 for the pair ) from a breakers so if need be I can buy those to try as a last resort.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Actually it's not as simple as just tightening bolts up.

Speaking from experience you need the spigot rings to ensure the wheel is centred. If you are relying on bolts alone then tightening them gradually together can get it about right.

And if those Spigots were not exactly the right size.. You would end up with an ever so slightly off center wheel on the hub yea?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I used to have the wrong sized wheels on my 1.2 clio. I never ever had any spigot rings on and I never had any issues at all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you have wheel bolts that are the exact correct size with the correct chamfer, the spigot rings will serve no purpose other than initial alignment. If you have the incorrect wheel bolts (which is not a good idea) a spigot ring will have a greater function.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
If you have wheel bolts that are the exact correct size with the correct chamfer, the spigot rings will serve no purpose other than initial alignment. If you have the incorrect wheel bolts (which is not a good idea) a spigot ring will have a greater function.

Stop with your logic damnit! Have you not read the thread title?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I think I will also buy some nice new shiny bolts.

which ones would you all suggest?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ok all.

Verdict is in.

Wobble has gone.

What i did last night:

1. Moved spring to correct place so is now seated correctly.
2. Wrapped my spigot rings in Electrical tape thus they are now a tighter fit onto the hub and onto the wheel.

Result = No wobble.

I'm sure someone will know if a spring being seated incorrectly would cause the wobble or not, and if not then it was a case of the spigot rings now aligning the wheels on the hub correctly. Whatever it was, I'm just glad i can drive at 70mph without my hands being shaken off :D

I get the feeling that some of you think I'm a joke, that's fair enough. I am new to owning my own car, and also tinkering with it. Its all a steep learning curve but one I'm willing to climb, and doing so i hope you more experienced people here will be willing to give advice :)

Thanks all

Monaco
And if those Spigots were not exactly the right size.. You would end up with an ever so slightly off center wheel on the hub yea?

Have you even read this thread? The short, correct and polite answer is No you wouldn't.

tumblr_inline_mjni4rDR7K1qz4rgp.gif

Glad you got it fixed though. Although I don't think we're any closer to knowing what the real problem or the fix was.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Have you even read this thread? The short, correct and polite answer is No you wouldn't.

Glad you got it fixed though. Although I don't think we're any closer to knowing what the real problem or the fix was.

Yes i have read this thread, after all i did start it ;)

If indeed spigot rings had no effect, Why do we use them? In your view are they simply used to just help guide the wheel on? ta

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR

Indeed,

People can say it doesn't happen, but I've seen it happen. Was on an M3 with Pro race 1.2s. It caused a vibration in the car at 80mph+

By doing up the bolts gradually (which is a PITA) it avoided this problem without needing the spigot rings (still got them anyway).

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Indeed,

People can say it doesn't happen, but I've seen it happen. Was on an M3 with Pro race 1.2s. It caused a vibration in the car at 80mph+

By doing up the bolts gradually (which is a PITA) it avoided this problem without needing the spigot rings (still got them anyway).

Monaco
If indeed spigot rings had no effect, Why do we use them? In your view are they simply used to just help guide the wheel on? ta
Yes that is correct. They are there so that when you first pop the wheel on, it sits nicely on the hub and the bolts line up. Take a scenario with your wheels and no spigot rings, when you first put the wheel on it might take a bit of a wiggle of the wheel to get the bolts in initially. In both scenarios - spigot or no spigot - as soon as the bolts are tight, the bolts themselves ensure the wheel is centred and true.

It's not my opinion it is fact.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yes that is correct. They are there so that when you first pop the wheel on, it sits nicely on the hub and the bolts line up. Take a scenario with your wheels and no spigot rings, when you first put the wheel on it might take a bit of a wiggle of the wheel to get the bolts in initially. In both scenarios - spigot or no spigot - as soon as the bolts are tight, the bolts themselves ensure the wheel is centred and true.

It's not my opinion it is fact.

Then why when i increased the rings size the wheels were actually no longer off center?

I just did a test on my lunch, i took wheel off and put back with no ring. Wheel then spun with a obvious off balance nature.

Put ring back and again its nice an cleanly spun, No off center movement.

Explain that to me? Or are my bolts just screwed? :p

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bolts either fit or they don't.

However as you've discovered, if you bolted 1 up first, it can put the wheel off centre (even by a few microns, you might not notice at 30mph but at 100mph it might contribute to being a bit unsteady).

When you didnt have the wheels tight and drove on it , are you sure you didnt elongate the holes in the alloy......ive seen this many times, alloy is so soft compared to steel. If your spigot rings were not spot on then it would be possible to have the wheel off center very slightly, thus out of balance.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
When you didnt have the wheels tight and drove on it , are you sure you didnt elongate the holes in the alloy......ive seen this many times, alloy is so soft compared to steel. If your spigot rings were not spot on then it would be possible to have the wheel off center very slightly, thus out of balance.

Thats a very good point. Might actually be the case here.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Or let's ignore the fact you had a major suspension component fitted incorrectly and blame it on a piece of plastic

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Or let's ignore the fact you had a major suspension component fitted incorrectly and blame it on a piece of plastic

That's not going to cause vibration though as its not rotational. Knocking and grinding yes!

The rings are needed to centre the wheel properly. Saves you a load of time gradually doing opposite bolts a bit at a time and even at that your not guaranteed a perfect centre wheel due to manufacturer tolerances

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
That's not going to cause vibration though as its not rotational. Knocking and grinding yes!

The rings are needed to centre the wheel properly. Saves you a load of time gradually doing opposite bolts a bit at a time and even at that your not guaranteed a perfect centre wheel due to manufacturer tolerances

go dislodge your spring and tell us how it feels ;)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
A ball joint isn't a rotating part, so by your logic of the balljoints is shagged I shouldn't get any steering wobble right?

Status
Not open for further replies.