ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hubcentric and stud conversion?

Clio 172 Track(ish)
I would like some spacers for my phase 1 172 and only really do trackdays so am thinking hubcentric spacers are the way forward right? Thing is, my hubs have a stud conversion and I'm not sure the compatibility of the various brands. Do I need bolt to the hub type? Or would I just need to pop them on as the studs will take the load.

Cheers

182cup & 172 racecar
All depends on how thick the spacer is,I think 5,10,15,20* you just need longer studs anything over that they will be bolt to hub type.

*might be bolt to hub aswell.Go onto Demon Tweeks site,you defo need hubcentric though.

Clio 172 Track(ish)
All depends on how thick the spacer is,I think 5,10,15,20* you just need longer studs anything over that they will be bolt to hub type.

*might be bolt to hub aswell.Go onto Demon Tweeks site,you defo need hubcentric though.

Cheers Tony. You guys have a stud conversion right? How do they bolt to the hub. My hub looks like this

5805ece4.jpg

Would you not just remove those studs bolt the hubcentric spacer on then screw the studs into the spacer or am i talking sh1t?

Clio 172 Track(ish)
Would you not just remove those studs bolt the hubcentric spacer on then screw the studs into the spacer or am i talking sh1t?

I'm not sure it's that simple. I may take the hub assembly apart tomorrow to see what's what. Woulda thought someone on here woulda known.

"Navy" N17 TWO
As said, depends on your size of spacer mate.

Putting the studs into the spacer might protrude the spacer itself depending on the size of them

Don't your studs need to be stuck in with Loctite or the likes as well?

Clio 172 Track(ish)
As said, depends on your size of spacer mate.

Putting the studs into the spacer might protrude the spacer itself depending on the size of them

Don't your studs need to be stuck in with Loctite or the likes as well?

I'm not sure, I bought the car with the conversion fitted. I have to change the front disks soon so I'll have a good look when I do. Thanks for your help

182cup & 172 racecar
You remove the studs from the disc,bolt the spacer to the disc with the bolts provided,then put your original studs(I would suggest getting new ones) into the spacer with a dab of locktite.
209.jpg

210.jpg

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
should the centre of the hub not be taking the load rather than the studs themselves?

BMW 130i
Large spacers put a lot of strain on the bolts. More than I would recommend for road a let alone for racing. Nope the centre is just for location purposes the bolts take the strain. Even more so when you put large spacers on affectievly increase their turning moment. Iv heard proper axle spacers are the way forward. I don't know if anyone actually make these though for the Clio. I'd say up to 10mm was safe.

BMW 130i
If they did the installation of the studs correctly and used "stud and bearing" loctite then your probably not gonna be able to remove them without damage as that stuff is like fussing metals together. If your changing the discs I'd get a new set of studs, pretty cheap. They even sell them on eBay in varying lengths.

Large spacers put a lot of strain on the bolts. More than I would recommend for road a let alone for racing. Nope the centre is just for location purposes the bolts take the strain. Even more so when you put large spacers on affectievly increase their turning moment. Iv heard proper axle spacers are the way forward. I don't know if anyone actually make these though for the Clio. I'd say up to 10mm was safe.

Lol stop talking sh1t! Tony and jay have been racing like that with no problems.

BMW 130i
Haha this is not talking s**t.

It's simple physics mate.

Furthermore the excess strain on the bearings and steering components will cause problems.

CLIO PH1 172
Iv been over 120mph with no shakes? proper spacers made well and torqued correctly = no problems ! (apart from bearings not lasting as long)

BMW 130i
Really?? Do you use the plastic locating rings or anything? Must be a company who does actually make some accurate engineering for once ;)

CLIO PH1 172
Tbh I brought them second hand but can tell they are decent products not cheaap metals ect.... And no I don't have any locating rings I just run them as they are in the picture iv don't about 500 miles on them and they have been fine, all the bolts are still torqued correctly!