ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HPI Checks Up to date?

Golf GTi MkV
How up to date are HPI checks? I have done a HPI check on RAC and vehicle has come up as outstanding finance.

The garage say HPI is clear. They only got the vehicle 2 weeks ago so don't know if the balance has been settled.

Can anyone clarify or give advice.

Thanks.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
How up to date are HPI checks? I have done a HPI check on RAC and vehicle has come up as outstanding finance.

The garage say HPI is clear. They only got the vehicle 2 weeks ago so don't know if the balance has been settled.

Can anyone clarify or give advice.

Thanks.

Keyword here is the garage "say".

Take your HPI check down there and get them to print theirs out and compare details shown on it to ensure its exactly the same vehicle etc and see whats different.

Golf GTi MkV
Need to speak to the garage again when they open tomorrow. The HPI has the contact details of the finance company so I will call them aswell.

I have read that HPI data can take a couple of weeks to update.

Would anyone buy a car with written garauntee from finance company that they no longer have interest in the car but with a finance outstanding on a HPI certificate?

Gonna lose more than an hours sleep tonight.

The garage you're buying from, is it a small or a big named garage?

If you was to buy the car and there was outstanding finance surely you'd have more come back, you have more rights when buying from a garage/dealer.

Don't quote me on this though cos I'm just presuming rather than saying I know for certain.

Golf GTi MkV
No money parted as yet, but really want the car. Garage is independant and deal with different cars, they have 2 branches.

Was advertised as HPI clear. Lady came in 2 weeks ago to PX the car, she was the previous and 1st owner.

I'm hoping she has settled the finance after PX'ing. Fingers crossed for the phone call to the finance company tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, do all hpi checks work off the same database? Maybe my hpi with RAC has not been updated and the garage one's has.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had cars at my garage that have taken upto 6 weeks to clear off Hpi even though the money has been settled.

All you need is a fax/Letter from the finance company to confirm they no longer have an interest in the car.

Golf GTi MkV
I've had cars at my garage that have taken upto 6 weeks to clear off Hpi even though the money has been settled.

All you need is a fax/Letter from the finance company to confirm they no longer have an interest in the car.

Thanks Daniel.

Am I right in saying if finance company does say it is settled, I can phone equifax/experian and tell them to get there a*ses in to gear and update their details?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you've got a letter from said company saying that it is clear, then it will be fine.

However, If you want to be 101% confident, you can ring the Hpi people and ask them to update but that will still take a few days.

Will the garage offer you a refundable deposit just to secure the car? If it turns out the finance has been settled, they can refund the deposit?

Golf GTi MkV
If you've got a letter from said company saying that it is clear, then it will be fine.

However, If you want to be 101% confident, you can ring the Hpi people and ask them to update but that will still take a few days.

Will the garage offer you a refundable deposit just to secure the car? If it turns out the finance has been settled, they can refund the deposit?

They know we are interested as we travelled 80 miles to view it. He is expecting my call tomorrow and I remember him saying £100 to secure it, refundable for any reason.

I want the car by middle of next week :S

Golf GTi MkV
Ok, have been told by the dealer that finance on the car is setup by themselves and will be removed once the sale is done. He said it is common practice for dealerships to do this.

They said I will have it in writing that the finance has been settled.