ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to tell if it needs a new cambelt?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This^

not many people know, but this is also true for a privately sold vehicle, although more difficult to police if things did happen

No, its not the case for a vehicle sold privately, a vehicle sold privately merely has to be honestly described it does not have any implied quality or have to be fit for purpose.

This is a quote from the Which organisation, which deals a lot with consumer rights etc, taken from here:
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/the-second-hand--car-i-bought-has-a-problem/
I bought my second hand car privately

You have fewer rights when you buy from a private seller and key parts of the Sale of Goods Act don't apply – there is no legal requirement for a car to be of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose.

But, legally, the seller must:

• accurately describe the second hand car (for example, an advert must not say 'one owner', when the car has had several)
  • not misrepresent the second hand car (tell you something about the car which isn't true – such as if it’s been in an accident, the owner must answer truthfully.

So as I mentioned previously providing the seller doesnt say its had a new belt when it hasnt, or some other deliberate mistruth related to the failure, you would have NO grounds for a claim against them if you bought a secondhand car and the belt failed.

Im sure your intentions are good, but what you are saying is the sort of advice im saying he needs to be careful who he listens to, very few people in the uk accurately know their rights and people often advise each other wrongly!
(hence I am quoting reliable sources to back up my argument and even still advising taking qualified legal advice, rather than repeating "ive heard that..." type information.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I appreciate that this is statutory - but a dodgy garage would not roll over with out a fight.

Just go to C.A.B and they will nail them to the wall for you on something as cut and dry as if a cambelt goes the first time you drive it.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
If he plans to have it done, is unsure about it's quality is possibly easiest to simply drive it carefully until it's done?

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Agreed, they are more likely to fail at high rpm, but can still go anytime.

Very true, but by not redlining it he's stacking the odds in his favour.

As an aside - if I was allowed to on keep 1 receipt for my car it would be the cambelt, impressive that they are 'unsure'.

Clio 172 Phase 2
Mines just gone to rentech today to get belts done cause the seller said he changed it but had no receipts to prove it. then after i brought it i looked at cambelt and it was covered in oil everywhere all over the place. not happy bunny, i wished i done my rese​arch first

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mines just gone to rentech today to get belts done cause the seller said he changed it but had no receipts to prove it. then after i brought it i looked at cambelt and it was covered in oil everywhere all over the place. not happy bunny, i wished i done my rese​arch first

Check the power steering pump isnt seeping at the joint, IME thats one reason oil ends up on the aux belt (I assume thats what you checked not cambelt unless you took the engine mount off as you cant really see the cambelt?)

Bit of PAS fluid on the aux belt and it can slip into the cambelt and make it jump, thats what happened to my mrs engine so she had to build up a new cylinder head for it with new valves.

Clio 172 Phase 2
Check the power steering pump isnt seeping at the joint, IME thats one reason oil ends up on the aux belt (I assume thats what you checked not cambelt unless you took the engine mount off as you cant really see the cambelt?)

Bit of PAS fluid on the aux belt and it can slip into the cambelt and make it jump, thats what happened to my mrs engine so she had to build up a new cylinder head for it with new valves.

Nah i had to replace top engine mount, so when i did that i found oil all over belt, around casing, all over the dephaser, was everywhere. ye and there was tipex marks for the timing, which is ok for other cars but ive heard these have to be precise. and its lot slower than my bro 182. so timing might be out. suppose il find out tomoz when i pick it up with 600pound hole in my pocket. thats my weekend booze up out the window lol