ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to remove seized rear discs and bearings?

After the race at Brands last Monday I noticed the paint had bubbled on the rear wheels which I thought was odd! It turns out the heat which caused it to happen was from the bearings getting really hot and after checking them today they are absolutely f**ked. I have undone both rear hub nuts but the bearings are totally seized onto the stub axle, I have tried heating them up, hammering etc but all I'm doing is making the bearing worse but nothing else is shifting! Has anyone got any advice or tips as to how to get them off? I have tried to find a puller big enough but can't find one and I think the disc will break before the bearing comes off!

Thanks in advance
James

LY 182
I'd love to expand on that but that is about the size of it lol.
If they got that hot to bubble the paint on the wheel, they have probably friction welded to the stub axles.. You could get them off by breaking the disc and bearing up until your left with the inner races of the bearing then split them off.. But the stub axle will probably be damaged anyway.. I'd look at getting a couple of replacements if that is the case.
May be worth trying a slide hammer on lt though you might be lucky and it's only seized

LY 182
I had to angle grind some off in the past , bit drastic but done the job

Just to add to that.. You only have to cut down one side of the disc preferably in line with the wheel bolt holes.. Then wedge a chisel in the cut and it will split in two ;)

Dodgy one
Can you get a flwheel puller or hub puller on it? Or fashion a puller up similar with a few bolts and metal plate?

Hit it harder ;)
This a big enough hammer mate

6499c2e3.jpg

:rasp:
I'd love to expand on that but that is about the size of it lol.
If they got that hot to bubble the paint on the wheel, they have probably friction welded to the stub axles.. You could get them off by breaking the disc and bearing up until your left with the inner races of the bearing then split them off.. But the stub axle will probably be damaged anyway.. I'd look at getting a couple of replacements if that is the case.
May be worth trying a slide hammer on lt though you might be lucky and it's only seized
Yeah I thought that myself but from what I can see I can't get the stub axle's off without removing the disc :( I am a total mechanical noob lol, what is a slide hammer lol ;)
I had to angle grind some off in the past , bit drastic but done the job
I don't have an angle grinder :(
Calipers sticking to cause that much heat?
No surprisingly not, the car was setup mega soft so I think it had been putting a lot of load onto the bearings! They are mega knackered :(
Just to add to that.. You only have to cut down one side of the disc preferably in line with the wheel bolt holes.. Then wedge a chisel in the cut and it will split in two ;)
Haha thanks for your help mate but I don't fancy trying to cut it :( Going to try a pry bar tomorrow against the back of the hub and see if that will help as the more I hammer the disc it's just making the bearing worse
Can you get a flwheel puller or hub puller on it? Or fashion a puller up similar with a few bolts and metal plate?
I might try making something tomorrow thanks for the suggestion :)

Thanks for that Dan :) I really am clueless but how would that work as it seems like it would just push the puller away when you screw the bolt in :eek: sorry if i'm being dense lol

Managed to get it all sorted a few hours ago :) Both are now off and the bearing on one of them was completely shattered apart :( I used the wheel studs turned the other way round and screwed them in which pushed the disc away from the stub axle. Took a lot of fiddling but got there in the end! There were very stuck on! Thanks for all the help and advice :)

That's what we used and when I inspected them last night they use SNR bearings which I think are OE so should of been fine! I am just about to order a set of Genuine renault ones and hope they last a bit longer :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Correct torque is obviously vital to a bearings performance, too tight and they excessively wear from the extra friction too loose and it allows them to move around and they wear out on a smaller contact patch as the load isnt spread properly, so be careful with the new ones that you torque them correctly.
Ultimately though sticky tyres and sticky track tarmac plus very committed cornering is going to make bearings a readily consumed item.

Neat trick with the wheel bolts, sounds like it worked well :)

Yes they have always been at the correct torque as it's been checked numerous times by mine and various wrenches at TDF, I think I will send mine off to be calibrated again as need to make sure it's accurate :)

Yeah the back end was jumping around and been given a fairly hard time for 40 mins non stop!

Haha thanks quite proud of managing to do something myself :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Glad you sorted it mate. That was a big hammer ;) suprised you didn't knock the car off it's stands. Was the stub axle ok?

Glad you sorted it mate. That was a big hammer ;) suprised you didn't knock the car off it's stands. Was the stub axle ok?
Haha thanks mate, I didn't actually use it lol! Was tempting just to beat it to death but thought it wouldn't be wise :) Passenger stub is scored upon closer inspection so they are now stripped off and waiting for some more arriving tomorrow ready to be put back together for Friday :)
Did you ever get to the bottom of this as to why they went like that.?
Shoddy driver IIRC :eek: lol