ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how often do you "heel and toe"?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If the pedals all lined up, when on the brake the pedal would be below the throttle. That would make heel/toe more difficult. It's easier with the brake pedal a bit higher, then when it's depressed it should be roughly the same level as the throttle.

And new Ferrari's have 2 pedals?

If the pedals all lined up, when on the brake the pedal would be below the throttle. That would make heel/toe more difficult. It's easier with the brake pedal a bit higher, then when it's depressed it should be roughly the same level as the throttle.

And new Ferrari's have 2 pedals?

I prefer it if the brake pedal's slightly lower when braking hard than the throttle pedal, guess its difference of preferences.

Clio 172 PH1, Mini
Just thought I post this while on the subject. Sorry if it's a repost.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I prefer it if the brake pedal's slightly lower when braking hard than the throttle pedal, guess its difference of preferences.

But if it's like that, you have to angle your foot to the left to avoid pressing the throttle until you want to?

What ForceIndia man said, you want the brake pedal higher so when it is pressed your foot comes down closer to the level of the throttle. This is also why braided lines make good sense, as the pedal position stays firmer/is more consistent under hard braking.

But if it's like that, you have to angle your foot to the left to avoid pressing the throttle until you want to?

What ForceIndia man said, you want the brake pedal higher so when it is pressed your foot comes down closer to the level of the throttle. This is also why braided lines make good sense, as the pedal position stays firmer/is more consistent under hard braking.

Not sure what you mean, I dont use the method you use by using the side of the foot. I actually use my heel to press the throttle pedal. So when my foots on the brake pedal hard I just twist my ankle up and over so the heels over the throttle pedal to rev the engine. Then when pushing on the throttle pedal I can in a way level my foot to the required revs.

p.s. Think I get what you mean, your talking about pedal height before applying them whereas i'm talking about the pedal height when there's pressure on the brake pedal already.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
i was just about to say are the pedals in sports different to non sports or do i just have big feet lol... cant understand double declutching from that video

i very occasionally H&T but ive been left foot braking a bit lately

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what you mean, I dont use the method you use by using the side of the foot. I actually use my heel to press the throttle pedal. So when my foots on the brake pedal hard I just twist my ankle up and over so the heels over the throttle pedal to rev the engine. Then when pushing on the throttle pedal I can in a way level my foot to the required revs.

p.s. Think I get what you mean, your talking about pedal height before applying them whereas i'm talking about the pedal height when there's pressure on the brake pedal already.

Right, I'm with you. I do that technique when the brakes have gone and the pedal's squishy, but if I can avoid totally cooking them I stick with rolling off to the side.

Right, I'm with you. I do that technique when the brakes have gone and the pedal's squishy, but if I can avoid totally cooking them I stick with rolling off to the side.

I see, I guess it comes down to which ever way your happy with. I seem to find that I can apply more revs with the way I do it than that way, as well as me finding easier the way I do it.

Rarely because unfortunately the pedals are far too close together for my feet. I'm only a size 10 as well! If I could change one thing about the Clio it'd be the driving position/pedal box

Titanium 182
Rarely because unfortunately the pedals are far too close together for my feet. I'm only a size 10 as well! If I could change one thing about the Clio it'd be the driving position/pedal box

I'm size 13 and don't have a problem - do it daily and have since the day I passed, as I was brought up and learned to drive with mechanical sympathy. Plus it makes you feel like you're a racing driver :)

MY10 R35 GTR
thinkg its all the time, got in the habbit of doing it. I use my left foot alot for braking aswell

I'm size 13 and don't have a problem - do it daily and have since the day I passed, as I was brought up and learned to drive with mechanical sympathy. Plus it makes you feel like you're a racing driver :)

Don't you find your feet hit the bit of trim just above the pedals? I get it all the time. Seat won't go low enough :(

Suzuki Ignis
Every day. Nearly every shift, but if I'm off the brakes, I'll still jab the throttle for smoothness.

Same as starting the car with the clutch disengaged, it's mechanical sympathy.

Ditto.

When Im bored, I dont use the clutch at all. Super smooth, slow and steady.

White clique
i'm still struggling to see the point in it. Its not as if all along car manufacturers havent realised that unless you heal and toe, you are going to knacker your clutch. I suspect only a very few people on here really do it, and more out of habit rather than anything else - and the rest just want to sound lile clued up drivers.

Phase 1 Clio 172
During everyday driving heel and toe really isn't neccessary. You shouldn't be braking that hard all the time to warrant not taking your foot off to dab the accelerator or really feel the need to do all your downshifting whilst on the brakes.

However I bow to your greater knowledge as you clearly sound like a driving God. :eek:

agree

for daily driving heal and toe really is not necessary......on track i do it though

330i. E30 Touring.
i'm still struggling to see the point in it. Its not as if all along car manufacturers havent realised that unless you heal and toe, you are going to knacker your clutch. I suspect only a very few people on here really do it, and more out of habit rather than anything else - and the rest just want to sound lile clued up drivers.

It's not that your clutch will get fucked if you don't heel and toe, it's that you can massively prolong it's life.

It's exactly the same as those who go to the gym. It keeps their body in the better shape, so they're more likely to live longer. Same with a clutch/'box.

Mk5 golf gti
lol @ heel and toe in everyday driving

go through the gears when stopping that will prolong your gearbox life a bit

heel and toe would make miniscule difference in road driving unless you drive like a hero daily

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
lol @ heel and toe in everyday driving

go through the gears when stopping that will prolong your gearbox life a bit

heel and toe would make miniscule difference in road driving unless you drive like a hero daily

You do understand that its not going to make you faster right? it just reduces wear on the synchromesh and other components. Also less shock loading helps another batch of parts live longer.
No its not needed. Your car will perform fine without, but some people want to drive with mechanical sympathy in mind, at whatever pace they choose.

Mk5 golf gti
You do understand that its not going to make you faster right? it just reduces wear on the synchromesh and other components. Also less shock loading helps another batch of parts live longer.
No its not needed. Your car will perform fine without, but some people want to drive with mechanical sympathy in mind, at whatever pace they choose.

Yes i understand completely
the diffence it makes on a road car with an already strong designed box is miniscule

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
My heel will never ever ever ever bend to the angle desired to heel and toe, but with a bit of a twist I can rev match by using the side/heel of my foot, is this acceptable or is it heel or not at all, I'm rubbish at the min but getting better :)

Jamie

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I think alot of people need to drive something powerful & RWD.

Then barrel into a corner fast, change down without heel & toe/rev matching, and see what happens...

Clue?

Hedge. Backwards.

This thread proves what i always say, clios are easy to drive fast ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think alot of people need to drive something powerful & RWD.

Then barrel into a corner fast, change down without heel & toe/rev matching, and see what happens...

Clue?

Hedge. Backwards.

This thread proves what i always say, clios are easy to drive fast ;)

I'd prefer they didn't tbh. Insurance costs enough as it is.