ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much will this damage cost to rectify?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
This morning I was sat in the car parked at the side of the road and I saw/heard behind me a seriously old guy revving the balls off his three-wheeled S-reg Reliant Robin or similar.

He pulls out from behind me but doesn't have enough room to make the manoeuvre and ever so slowly comes to rest against my rear bumper, no impact whatsoever. He then proceeds to give it more beans and my car jerks slightly so I know he's hitting me, trying to force his way out. I guess he realises, reverses a bit then manages to get out while I'm inspecting the damage.

How much will it cost to put this damage right?

IMG_2013_zps85764a32.jpg

IMG_2014_zpscfd5296d.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I payed £150 cash to Chris at Autocrash to have my rear bumper painted.

I removed and re-fitted it though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Possibly £175-200 +vat chap. Remove, refit and paint.

Ask the question about what time of paint and explain that CR is clearoverbase and not solid colour. :)

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I payed £150 cash to Chris at Autocrash to have my rear bumper painted.

I removed and re-fitted it though.

Possibly £175-200 +vat chap. Remove, refit and paint.

Ask the question about what time of paint and explain that CR is clearoverbase and not solid colour. :)
Thanks Scott, Kevin, for the comments and advice, appreciated.

There's no way I'm putting this through insurance, it's just not worth the long-term costs, and I'd feel bad asking for a contribution from the old duffer who didn't look like he could afford to buy a new pair of shoes anyway, but I need some kind of retribution. What can I do? Report the old boy for being a menace, or head to the gym, take it out on the punchbag and just get over it?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you have concerns about his driving then I'd report it TBH. If he's trying to shunt your car out of the way without realising it, he could just as easily pull out of a junction without realising there's a motorbike there.

furthermore if he's revving the balls out of it to get it to move, what happens if his foot slips off the clutch and he goes flying into the middle of a junction?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Oh no :(

I would make the old boy pay for the damage.
Problem is if he says he wants to put it through insurance then I have to walk away. Plus, I couldn't do it to him, he's that old he's very nearly dead. That said, if I find out his other car is a P1 then I'll be having words ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'd say don't skimp on the price. Find somewhere with a good rep, blending Trophy pink is tricky!

Chris at Autocrash work is bloody good, he wouldn't have painted my bumper if he wasn't.

Not worth trying to blend, nicer job just to paint the whole bumper.

Hope you get it sorted mate. :)

FF Racing Blue 182
christ some of the old people shouldn't be on the road. hats off to you pal i would do the same regarding the old fella.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Report the guy.

i had half a mind to report some twunt in a mercedes r350 something or other estate/hearse today. The prick could not fathom roundabouts?! After he pulled out on me, I watched as he almost made 3 other people plow into him.

the amount of automotive retarditry around here is genuinely worrying.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Scrooge Yellow Dave JD gally

Dear resident detailing gurus,

The rear bumper has now been sprayed and the car is back in my hands, I was just wondering if you could impart any advice on how I should maintain the freshly sprayed panel in the short-term?

Is it best to avoid using the pressure washer on the bumper for a few weeks/months?

And is it advisable to get some protection on there asap? My armoury consists of AG HD & Reload.

Any comments advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

@Scrooge @Yellow Dave @JD @gally

Dear resident detailing gurus,

The rear bumper has now been sprayed and the car is back in my hands, I was just wondering if you could impart any advice on how I should maintain the freshly sprayed panel in the short-term?

Is it best to avoid using the pressure washer on the bumper for a few weeks/months?

And is it advisable to get some protection on there asap? My armoury consists of AG HD & Reload.

Any comments advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.
How much did it end up costing?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Has the bumper been heat treated / cooked in the oven after being painted? This will aid the curing of the paint so you can treat it a little more normal, or was it painted on the car and not heated after painting

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Has the bumper been heat treated / cooked in the oven after being painted? This will aid the curing of the paint so you can treat it a little more normal, or was it painted on the car and not heated after painting
No idea, sorry. Let's assume it was painted on the car and not heat treated. What's the best strategy?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I don't know the history of a recently painted area, I always advise to leave it for 4 weeks before doing anything other than gentle washing.

My mate (Who we spoke about at LM) has a low bake oven and within 24 hours you can do pretty much whatever you want to the paint.

iirc, you used the guys at AutoCrash? I'd be inclined to say they do a proper job based on the rep on here and you'd be fine to do as you please.