ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much fuel have you put in your 172/182 in one fill up? As much as this?

Flame 172 (Ph2)
So, has anyone filled up any more than this?

Don't forget we've only got 50 litre tanks! Maybe this could be the start of a new and risky game? ;)

fuel.jpg

RB 182
If you'd have put this thread up 2/3 weeks ago, I'd have beaten you by .4 of a litre. 49.74 litres I put in for my New Year's Eve trip!

I remember thinking the same myself!

I have no picture proof so I'm out.

Brilliant idea for a new challenge though!

Maybe a 172 Cup..
You'll have people literally running out of fuel , then free wheeling into garage on here mate! could be entertaining though.

02 Clio 172
I'm sooo playing this game! I stopped at £60 and 43.4 litres last night. (could've gone a bit more) I was on the yellow light and just past the red mark. It was Sainsbury's Premium Unleaded @ £1.37.9 per litre. It's on!!!! Lol

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Not in mine, light comes on and I drive on it for about 20 miles, with a brim I'll put in 43l usually.

Tonight I drove 45 miles on the light, I was no doubt in dire risk of coming to a halt.

I do 500 miles a week so pretty in tune with how many miles I can get out of a tank and I'm dead certain it's 50 litres. As per the brochure, handbook, and Parkers.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Hehe, I didn't! Struggling to notice any difference in MPGs though after using the trip method. I have noticed my onboard comp is optimistic by an approx 2mpg on a regular basis though!

BG1@2
Because of you guys i'v now been running on empty for 21.4 miles and i'm not straying far from nearest petrol stations ......

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone else hover the petrol pump just above the filler tank to get every last drop in?

RB 182
Filled up again today boys, it was JUST as the petrol warning light came on - only squeezed 45litres in.. We've got loads of room.

172 Cup
As Martin says, on a totally dry system you could probably get 51-52 litres as you'd be including the filler pipe.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear... I think I'll pass. I'd rather not run mine to the edge of being empty! I might be wrong but (with fuels being better these days) don't you still get particulates and sediment build up that are more likely to be drawn in and clog up the fuel filter? And the fuel pump itself? Isn't it supposed to be submerged in the fuel? Would running it 'dry' cause the pump to potentially overheat and put unnecessary strain on it?! Just asking... :)

172 Cup
I played this game the other day and ran out of fuel half a mile away from the petrol station, managed to squeeze 50.21 litres in when I got to the petrol station.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Ha! Stephen... You're a winner! ;)

Yeah, heard that about particulates and crap at the bottom of your tank too, however when I didn't commute I used to fill up £10 a time (in many various cars) and never had any issues. Never had the fuel filter changed in any of them though so no idea what condition they were in. Curious though.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Ran out of fuel and only got 50.21 in? Bloody hell!

Heres my effort for tonight.

4AC2CBE5-5AEC-49FB-ACE9-F7BD4DDA5769-3476-000003430A55A375_zps81f7d9c4.jpg

I've had my Clio since August And only covered 1750 miles but I've never put more than £40 in at a time. For me as I rarely use the car, having £70 of v power in my car is a waste of money and would sit on there for two months, I would rather fill up little and often to keep the fuel fresher

BG 182
Oh dear... I think I'll pass. I'd rather not run mine to the edge of being empty! I might be wrong but (with fuels being better these days) don't you still get particulates and sediment build up that are more likely to be drawn in and clog up the fuel filter? And the fuel pump itself? Isn't it supposed to be submerged in the fuel? Would running it 'dry' cause the pump to potentially overheat and put unnecessary strain on it?! Just asking... :)

I was just thinking this running you're tank on empty will drag through all the crap on the bottom of you're tank in to you're engine can't be good

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I was just thinking this running you're tank on empty will drag through all the crap on the bottom of you're tank in to you're engine can't be good

So your car sucks the fuel from the top of the tank?

fuel drains out from the bottom anyway, so running out will only drag the stuff floating on the top through the engine.

172 Cup

Haha, I only filled it up to the click. In my old fiesta I filled it right up to the top once and burst the filler cap seal when the fuel expanded in the sun. I don't do that anymore, the roads still stained from where the petrol dripped onto the road lol.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've squeezed 50 litres in mine. The Trafic has a 90 litre tank but I've managed 95 litres into it several times. Once the pump clicks off I can get another 10 litres in on the Trafic. It takes a while but that's on diesel and that always froths up when its going in.

Flame 172 (Ph2)

Haha!! Nice work, loving the photo.

To those who are worried about dragging crap through to your engine, cars have fuel filters. Worst case you'll clog up your filter but it's a regular service item so should never be an issue for a well maintained car.

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Huh? 120k?! Thats a bit long isn't it?

I get mine changed every other service (once every 2 years).