ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much for breaking a Clio?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
If I gave you a standard 1*2 in OK condition, how much as a rough figure would you get for breaking it?

Odd and rather open question I know. But now I have a large drive I'd like to teach myself a little bit more about mechanics, so am thinking of buying a cheap 1*2 and breaking it. Trying to figure out what sort of money I should pay for a car that will be broke for bits, as I wouldnt want to lose money.

Rough guesstimates?

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Price depends how quick you want to sell items ie look at bluechipspares aka arrow guy he asks silly money but when stuff sells hes quids in

I probably wouldn't spend over a grand if it was mainly for that. But, you'd make £1000+ back on parts if you are patient enough. I've broken two now and made £2k+ on each, but they had a few mods (but both engines were gone so I didn't make anything on those).

The body parts used to sell for quite a bit when people made replicas, but I don't see many any more. Each bumper would fetch £100, wings about £50, sideskirts £90ish etc.

clio rs replicer
My good Sir.
One should not pay more than five hundred pounds in my opinion. You may well find that your time is wasted when selling the parts, more so on Ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not worth it, you'll be looking at 900-£1600 in parts depending on mods/condition e.t.c, you'll have to do with a million time wasters
'hold it till the end off the week'
'ill be there at 6' - doesn't turn up

Posting stuff takes time, you have to send everything recorded delivery or you'll get morons pretending they haven't received stuff but even recorded delivery isn't perfect as you'll get people pretending stuff arrived broken and when you tell them to send the broken item back that cost's you more money as YOU have to pay for it and on more than one occasion i have had people send me their broken item back instead of the item i have sent them

You have a garden/shed full of crap, it will take month's to get rid of everything and if you worked out your pay per hour versus profit you would be on less than minimum wage, i have broken a few but have only done it to get parts from the cars for my own car (coilovers/interior e.t.c)

There is loads of people breaking them now and some of them are practiacally giving stuff away, yesterday there was a wanted post on facebook for a starter motor and someone said he had '3 in the shed £15 delivered' after posting that he has made about 7 quid for the starter motor which isn't going to be far off scrap money

Clio 2.0 16v 182
The way I break cars is much like running a business for a year.
Get a car for £XXX.
Factor in £150pcm for a storage locker or decent shed. (50square feet)
Add £500 for courier/pallet costs
If you're organised and savvy you can shift a lot of parts within three months.

Easily £1500 parts on a stock 1*2 so the any profits to be made need to come from buyers collecting in person or breaking two cars and sharing a lock up/shed. Wouldn't make a career out of it but well worth it for knowledge. And remember you don't need to keep the shell. Very easy to strip five cars, store the parts and have the husks collected

SQ5
It's not worth it.

I'd broken previous cars a few years back, when this place was better too, but they were my own car with modifications, most I got back over what I paid.

I recently bought a 172 for £700 to break and I've now broken even with about £300/400 left of stuff, it's not worth it.

Also the amount of people waste my time from here recently on this one pisses me right off.