ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how muc petrol left once light comes on

172 SPORT PH2
Started it this morning it said before the clock went -----40 miles left, but is that accurate ? As the petrol light has come on now, and I've just got to work, and at least another 10 miles to go lol ! Help... roughly how much fuel left in tank ? Or else id be pushing it lol

Cheers

ITB'd 172 POPTART
Easily make the 10 miles mate. driving part throttle and an occassional coast here n there i have done about 32 miles and still made it to a station. So its pretty good.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I got 40 out of it.

When it goes blank you'll notice it's actually at 40.

Suzuki Ignis
Easily make the 10 miles mate. driving part throttle and an occassional coast here n there i have done about 32 miles and still made it to a station. So its pretty good.

We learnt this the other day. Coasting uses more to keep it idling than if you just keep it in higher gear. Or you can just turn the car off, that could be fun.

Clio1.2, C2 VTR, 1.9 MJet
i normally give it 20miles then go fill up, 25 max, have got to 30 a few times, however the car has died twice on 25ish lol

Ph1 172
I managed about 60 miles on the red light. Was driving carfeully though. When I got to the station, I rocked the car and could still hear fuel rattling around in the tank. When I filled it up, I only fitted 47 litres in.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
my MPG used to fly up me i was coasting so this cant be true

Yeah I don't think that is true either. Who taught you that, a petrol company? lol

Modern car with electronic engine management - fuel and ignition systems are effectively combined and controlled by one Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Take your foot off the accelerator and the ECU cuts the fuel supply to the injectors anyway so there's nothing to be gained by coasting.

Source: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/drive-smart.html - about half way down.

clio 172 luna speedl
done about 65 mile drivin steady. was goin to pull the tank off so wanted it dry as i could. driving hard about 30 i would say.

PS 200
Modern car with electronic engine management - fuel and ignition systems are effectively combined and controlled by one Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Take your foot off the accelerator and the ECU cuts the fuel supply to the injectors anyway so there's nothing to be gained by coasting.
In Summary Coasting in a modern car cut's the fuel to the injector so ther'e no fuel saving.

Errr - yes there is you're saving the fuel not being sent to the injectors :S

That article must have been written by a lezza mentalist :D

Last edited:
  E46 M3
Coasting IN GEAR uses no fuel (unless you have a jms map ;)) coasting in neutral will use idle fuel.

Crappy work hire car
Coasting IN GEAR uses no fuel (unless you have a jms map ;)) coasting in neutral will use idle fuel.

I only ever coast in gear anyway, bit dangerous to coast in neutral as you have no control if you need it!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Iirc when the light comes on you have one gallon left.

I've always thought it's one gallon too.

When the light comes on, the range left and and mpg are nearly always similar.

Although being a Renault, I wouldn't put a lot of trust in it being accurate lol

Last edited:
B

Bucko

I've always thought it's one gallon too.

When the light comes on, the range left and and mpg are nearly always similar.

Although being a Renault, I wouldn't put a lot of trust in it being accurate lol

Same here, approx a gallon left. I've also noticed that the light comes on when the range gets to the MPG

clio 182
my petrol light has just come on and says 35 miles left on trip but it also says ive used 8.8 gallons... 182 has an 11 gallon tank so 2 gallon left? currently about 30miles on a gallon so am testing it at the mo.....jerry can in the boot just incase lol so i should get another 60 miles on petrol light...

PS 200
Sorry for sounding stupid but how do you "coast" in gear? :S
If you coast in gear then you're obviously going to slow faster than if you coast in Neutral. The trick is working out which one is more fuel efficient for your car / road conditions.

Eg Coasting down a 40 mile hill in gear will save more fuel than coasting down it in Neutral.

But how many 40 mile hills do you know ;).

I once clocked it from when the fuel light came on. Got 38miles before I bottled it and put some fuel, and that wasn't driving economically.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Coasting uses more fuel BUT theres less resistance so you can roll faster/further than in gear..
^ what he says.

Ive done 2 tanks of fuel over 2 weeks doing the same journey everyday, and coasting in neutral gives better MPG and range than that coasting "in gear".

PS 200
Has anyone ever actually ran out of fuel then???
Yes.

Returning a rent a van that was supplied empty and you didn't get any cash for any fuel you left in it.

8 Miles short of destination - Van conks out on the hard shoulder of the A1 :eek:

Sent the r****d who said "There's plenty left" after we passed the previous Petrol Station to get more :D

RB 182
My 172 the light normally comes on with the trip showing 34 miles left...I don't tend to let it get so low though tbh.

My mates 182, he gets 80 miles or so on the light (on a motorway run)...

182 ff
done this 3 weeks after i got my brand new 182 lol wanted to see how many miles i could get , well i got to 33 and then stopped in the middle of a roundabout !

my advise dont go redline simple !

clio 182
note to self! currently doing the jerry can test and not hit redline yet, the only time ive left a fiesta st do me at the lights! lol