ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Many Miles To Full Tank

I recently asked you guys what mileage you got from a full tank of petrol in a 172 Phase2. I got a good response with more or less the same amount as i get to a full tank however i filled my tank up recently and ive been driving my 172 quite hard intermittently and ive done 150 miles or so and my god damn petrol lights on. My god surely this cant be right? I checked the Mpg dial and it says 25Mpg. Could there be something wrong with it? or is it just that ive never hoofed it so much and not realised?

Has anyone managed to get poor mileage? im a bit concerned.

How the hell are you driving - flat out all the time, do you use 4th and 5th gear?

If Im not driving hard I can get about 360 miles to a tank or 90 miles to £10 = £40 to fill the tank.

My worst was 280 miles to a tank on B roads enjoying myself....

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Quote: Originally posted by sam_davies on 20 May 2005

How the hell are you driving - flat out all the time, do you use 4th and 5th gear?

If Im not driving hard I can get about 360 miles to a tank or 90 miles to £10 = £40 to fill the tank.

80% is town driving.......

renaultsport clio 182

went to newquay the other week about 360 miles from where i live,70 to 75 mph was at the pump with about 80 mile to go a little dissapointed to be honest thought i get all the way down, phase 1 172.:eek:

Erm, im sorry but i dont think its possible to get 380 from a full tank in a 172 Sport????? Ive managed to get 280 before but that was driving miss daisy. I have only been ragging my car every so often but it has been door to door driving. Ive quite a few challenges over this past week so maybe its just not used to being hammered bless it. Usually i get 240 miles on avg driving normally. I still cant see how someone with a 172 gets 380, my girlfriend doesnt even get that in her 1.2 Dynamique!. Are you pushing it around?

I suppose long drives i could understand the 360 / 380 mark but i never do long journeys, or very rarely. Going to Cambridge in a week or so so maybe check then!

Quote: Originally posted by sam_davies on 20 May 2005

That cant be right surely.

Im lucky to get 260 miles out of a full tank (£40)

[Never wait for the light to come on either]

renaultsport clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by billy172 on 20 May 2005

went to newquay the other week about 360 miles from where i live,70 to 75 mph was at the pump with about 80 mile to go a little dissapointed to be honest thought i get all the way down, phase 1 172.:eek:
btw they was 50 mile,so it said on the trip computer so filled her back up just to be safe so i guess around 330 for a full tank.

On the motorway at 70mph I can do 360 miles to a full tank in my Mk2 172 Sport - South Wales - London and back is about 340 and its not empty with about 40 miles left in the range - give or take a few miles = 360 in total

I dont accelerate hard and only apply a small amount of pressure on the motorway

Ive done this trip a few times and I returned the same figures each time - therfore it is possible

Like I said a mixture of both returns about 280 to a tank

Billy 172 can get 330 in his mark 1 - see post above

Everything is possible

I believe 280 to be correct via calculations of an avg Mpg knocking around the doors. I agree that motorway journeys you can get 300+ but im talking around the doors in this thread cause thats all im doing.

Got about 350 miles from my first tank (172 Cup, only had the car since Saturday) but never reached empty. Filled her up again yesterday morning with it showing 80 miles left with Ultimate and have since done 200 miles and its just reached half a tank left, although thats obviously not too accurate.

Ive reset the MPG counter a few times and its never dropped below 40.5mpg (it was on 47 after the first day when I brought her home) and the actual fuel Ive used tallys up with those figures pretty well. Most of it has been bog standard 40mph commuting but I say hello to the rev limiter light on a fairly regular basis.

3 MPS

i was down at fiesta in the park last weekend and on the way down from glasgow to kettering i was driving at asteady 70 - 80 and according to the trip computer i was averging 42.1 mpg . all in all if you drive the rs carefully (i know its hard) on the mway its quite good imo . i think i got 360-380 out a full tank .

2005 Impreza WRX STI

i get 150 off half a tank on m/way then soon as i hit town, it ends up doing 200 ish on a full tank. think my max is 240

172 cup'd extreme

Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 20 May 2005
Erm, im sorry but i dont think its possible to get 380 from a full tank in a 172 Sport????? Ive managed to get 280 before but that was driving miss daisy. I have only been ragging my car every so often but it has been door to door driving. Ive quite a few challenges over this past week so maybe its just not used to being hammered bless it. Usually i get 240 miles on avg driving normally. I still cant see how someone with a 172 gets 380, my girlfriend doesnt even get that in her 1.2 Dynamique!. Are you pushing it around?

since i put my 172 engine in my 1.2 16v my fuel consumption has gone down a bit cruising is more econmical than ragging it everywhere

I get an easy 310 miles with a mixture of town and motorway driving.

On a long run at a steady 80mph I can get close on 400 miles to a tank.

In my old 172 MkII I used to get between 280-320 miles per tank depending on the journey, which I didnt think was bad.

I now get 340-360 miles per tank out of the Megane but it does cost £50 to fill the thing up from empty with Optimax.

I find it VERY hard to get BELOW 350miles (35mpg) per tank, I cane it whenever I can but most of the time I seem to be in heavy traffic / camera zones anyway.

I swear the ITG filter helps a lot, my mpg has definatley gone up since fitting it.

I filled my baby up on Friday and i have been driving it sensibly over the weekend to test peoples theorys, the Mpg is showing between 30 - 32. I have done 100 miles so far and it tells me i should expect another 200 miles from the remaining petrol, its on just over half full now. We shall wait and see!.

That is bad! i thought my 150Miles to a full tank was bad. Were you driving like a looney?! My gfriend has a 1.2 Dynamique and she gets bad fuel consumption.