ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long will it take to change the Cam in a D7F?

Is there anyone who knows approx how long it'll take to change the cam in a D7f engine? I thought it was a matter of getting TDC, whipping the rocker cover off, and unbolting the brackets. But they don'y unbold and the cam has to slid out I think, so it looks like the head has to come off also...which is a pain in the arse!

Also how hard is it?

Thanks

Lots of Alfas
iirc its not that much of a hard job, just need to remove the belt covers, unbolt the crankshaft pulley and turn to bring piston 1 to tdc. Lock the engine position. Then support the engine and remove the engine mount/covers, slacken the tension nut and away you go. take the old one of, refit new one, aligning up the marks, tension it properly and re-assemble.

Ive had 2 cars with this engine and thats all from memory, best to get a haynes manual as it will all be in there.

why do you need to replace the cam?

I have a fast rd catcam that need fitting (Maxx's old unused one). Alright its only a 1.2, but while I'm waiting for parts for the Golf, I need something to do. I can use the OEM springs, retainers and followers so its a straight swap - hopefully.

Part No. 5501202 on www.catcams.be

LY 182
belt off, rockers off then slide the cam out.
no need for head to come off and its dead easy held in with a thrust plate at the end