ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam scoring advice

Hello!!

So, long story short;

Bought a 182, cam belt snapped 1 hour into ownership on the way home. Engine dead. New second hand engine sourced and im only just getting round to doing something about it.

Now, im just going about disassembling the 'new' 85k mile engine to do the full monty i.e. cam belt, seals, clutch etc etc etc before it goes back into the car.

The cam cover looked like it had been leaking and thought id reseal it, how ever ive noticed that the cam bearings/journals are scoured on the inlet cam.

Now, having sunk a far too much money into this car already only having driven it for an hour... Would it be 'safe' to put the cams back in and forget all about it?

Or have i now got to remove the head and get them machined. *cry*

I suspect a previous mechanic has changed the belt and over torqued the cover..

Image of the worst ones.

If any of you kind people have any tips reassembling the engine etc i would be very greatful :)

Any suggestions for what silicon/gasket to use for the cam cover?

Many thanks

Mitch

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
It's not the worst. First of all, refit the cams with a bit of lubrication, tighten the cover back down without any sealant and just check that the cams rotate freely. If they don't then you've got some distortion somewhere. I'm sure you know that the cam cover and head are matched and are not interchangeable but buying a second hand engine you have no way of knowing whether this may have happened.

If the cams move ok you could dress the bearing faces using very fine wet and dry paper around a piece of pipe of the same diameter as the cams and drop them in with a bit of assembly lube. You've got nothing to lose by throwing it all back together and having a go. As long as it's timed correctly I recon you'll be ok unless there are other underlying issues with the engine that we don't know about.

I use this for sealing the cam cover. Make sure you apply it to the correct areas. See photos.
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_6156.jpg

Wow, thank you for that reply. Very helpful.

Firstly, i did remove the cam followers and just sat the cams in the head and rotated them. Now, i did feel like there was some resistance during the rotation how ever it may have just been me. Il clamp the cover down and give them a twist
What are the cylinder bores like?
i dont know, ive had a look down the sparkplug holes with my camera gadget and coulding really see anything. Im avoiding taking the head off... trying to avoid further costs :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I’m afraid those cam journals are fucked mate. There’s only one place that I know of that can machine the journals and it’s a good way to spend £500 easily.

The issue with cleaning them up is the increase in journal clearance, which can and does result in a reduction of oil pressure.

But, I have seen journals like that before and for a road car engine, they’ve gone on to run for a lot more miles trouble free.

Loctite 518 is the correct sealant for the cam cover as well.

I’m afraid those cam journals are fucked mate. There’s only one place that I know of that can machine the journals and it’s a good way to spend £500 easily.

The issue with cleaning them up is the increase in journal clearance, which can and does result in a reduction of oil pressure.

But, I have seen journals like that before and for a road car engine, they’ve gone on to run for a lot more miles trouble free.

Loctite 518 is the correct sealant for the cam cover as well.
So my options are;

1) clean them up,rebuild it and cross my fingers
2) bin it, find another head and cross my fingers its not just as fucked
3) cry